Best gas to use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SS Sniper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi, I just acquired a NOS 2009 372xp and love it. Only cut about 5 min. then it started to rain, so I had to put it away.:msp_wink:
Just wondering what type of non-ethanol gas I should run in it. Are there any that I should stay away from? VP racing fuel is somewhat close. It's 104 octane, which isn't too high, but it will do. Also, is the premixed-fuel good, or no. Just asking around before I put it to use. Also, cost doesn't matter because you can't put a price on the longevity of a nice saw. Thanks, Matthew.

Just use the canned premix its great if you don't use your equipment often. You don't need 104 octane in a stock saw.

Last check here Cam2 100 was $6.99 a gallon.

How much is race gas per gallon? Back when I raced MX regular gas was about $1.25 and race gas was about $3 per gallon.

It' about 8 give or take. Don't use it much so it don't matter. I'll probably get the strait gas and use the husky XP premix because I have a lot of that and I want to use it. Thanks for your input.

I finally broke down and bought some 91 octane ethanol free gas from the marina today.....$4.95 a gallon:msp_w00t: not sure if we'll keep using it though we just happened to have a job trimming ornamentals at the yacht club today so i decided to get 5 gallons from the marina and run it and it sure smells good mixed with Motul 800.

Last edited:
I finally broke down and bought some 91 octane ethanol free gas from the marina today.....$4.95 a gallon:msp_w00t: not sure if we'll keep using it though we just happened to have a job trimming ornamentals at the yacht club today so i decided to get 5 gallons from the marina and run it and it sure smells good mixed with Motul 800.
Wow, that's about the same price of diesel around here!

For equipment that can use it, 91 octane ethanol free. For stuff with lots of compression, you might want 110 leaded race gas. The former is about 4-5 bucks a gallon, and the latter is usually above 7 bucks a gallon.

For equipment that can use it, 91 octane ethanol free. For stuff with lots of compression, you might want 110 leaded race gas. The former is about 4-5 bucks a gallon, and the latter is usually above 7 bucks a gallon.

We usually just use Shell V-Power 93 octane. Cam2 100 unleaded race fuel last i saw was $6.99.

leaded gas

I am guessing every saw that new is designed for unleaded. Not sure if that particular model has a catalytic convertor ( somebody reply)? Leaded fuel and cats do not mix. Hope this helps.
One of my saws recommends 91 octane minimum. All my saws seem to run better on the higher octane premix in a can, at least in my mind.

I am guessing every saw that new is designed for unleaded. Not sure if that particular model has a catalytic convertor ( somebody reply)? Leaded fuel and cats do not mix. Hope this helps.
One of my saws recommends 91 octane minimum. All my saws seem to run better on the higher octane premix in a can, at least in my mind.

The 372xp has a hollow muffler not CAT. The canned premix is great if you don't use you equipment frequently. Its not cost effective if you use your equipment regularly.

No it's hollew as Jentrax said. Only saw I know of with a cat is the 346 e-tech.

Back