Best old & inexpensive truck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I think I might have found one but it is an '89...what do ya'll think about this one?

http://denver.craigslist.org/car/628957590.html

For those who would prefer not to click on the link, here is the meat of the listing:

"1989 Chevy Cheyenne 1-ton truck. 138,000 miles, 4 speed. New GM 350 HD motor at 97,000 mi. New throttle body and fuel pump at 137,000. Good runner, reliable vehicle, no accidents. Passes emissions. 9-foot utility bed with lots of drawers, shelves and locking compartments to keep your tools safe. Good body and new comfy seat upholstery. Truck is fitted with heavy-duty suspension and HD trailer hitch and brake wiring."

For 1250.00 thats not bad - You could take the utility body off, maybe sell it & build your own flatbed. For the times you just might need 4wd, a set of tire chains on that truck would do wonders. I know, put 'em on, take 'em off, but what a difference they make.

I didn't realize it wasn't a 4x4. In that case, I'll probably pass on it. Especially considering that I won't have access to the full bed due to the utility boxes.

Anyone know about these? Any good?

1971 Highboy Ford 3/4 ton 4x4 http://cosprings.craigslist.org/car/658577239.html

I also found a "1974 chevy 454 turbo tranny run and drives good strong motor nice wheels and tires."

What does 'turbo' do on a manual transmission?

Thanks!

I didn't realize it wasn't a 4x4. In that case, I'll probably pass on it. Especially considering that I won't have access to the full bed due to the utility boxes.

1971 Highboy Ford 3/4 ton 4x4 http://cosprings.craigslist.org/car/658577239.html

I also found a "1974 chevy 454 turbo tranny run and drives good strong motor nice wheels and tires."

What does 'turbo' do on a manual transmission?

Thanks!

TH= Turbo Hydramatic

That's what GM called all their old auto's. Hydramatic was GM interal auto branch.

attachment.php
attachment.php

:jawdrop: Wow,thats a great price on that Hi-boy I'm partial to Fords but that is one of the toughest 4x4 trucks ever made I have a '73 and would be jumpin' on that one if I was closer

I'd call on that Hi-boy it looks solid from what you can see in the pics,it could have an 6 or 8 cylinder,If its original it would have at least a Dana 44HD front end,and a Dana 60 rear,NP 435 4 spd with 1st granny gear,heavy duty NP divorced transfer case and a factory 4" lift Tough trucks,I haul wood with mine plow snow shes a tank :cheers:

thanks nytreeman!

Anyone know if they are fairly easy/straight forward to work on? What about parts? Are they readily available and inexpensive?

There pretty simple to work on, lots room, pre-emission so no mess of relays and sensors,it would have drum brakes on all 4 wheels,Parts aren't bad price wise,certain parts are harder to find,but the majority of parts are the same for quite a few years so their pretty common

I can also vouch for the ease of working on those OLD fords, I'm a chevy guy myslef but I spent a ton of time in high school under the hood of my buddy's old Ford. We could get home on Friday after school, pull an engine, replace it with a different one, and have it running again so he could drive it to work on Saturday. (We had to do this quite often - there was always a "better" engine around he would pick up). We went from a 300-6 to a 302, to a 351, then back to the 300-6 when gas prices went up, then back to a different 302.... On and on but it was a good tough truck and very easy to work on and get parts for very cheaply!

Get a Chilton or Haynes manual that will help there not great but better than nothing,theres also a couple great Ford truck site too for info and specs fordification.com is primarily 67-73 and ford-trucks.com covers lots of years

nope.... 12valve cummins have mechanical fuel pumps which are just about bullet proof vs 98.5-2002 with electronic VP44 = junk (fuel injection pump) stay away from 98.5-2002 cummins trucks.

this is one of the main reason why 94-98 12v are the most desirable cummins trucks. if you find a low mileage 12valve... they sell for same as a much newer cummins truck. it's not unusual to see someone sell off their 2007 CTD, only to buy back an old 12 valve cummins.

it's nothing to see a 12v cummins go 500k miles...

Injector pumps bad but still good trucks!

Last edited:
thanks nytreeman!

Anyone know if they are fairly easy/straight forward to work on? What about parts? Are they readily available and inexpensive?

Yes they are. They are going to be as easy as you can find, plus since you have the divorced transfer case you can put about any type of motor tranny in these things. The one thing I would look at with the high boys is the power assited cylinder on the power steering, The are a weird and hard to find some parts for. I converted one to a dana 60 front and a 78-79 power steering system, I won't suggest that. That looks to be a very nice truck for the age and what it is, High boys are cool. I would buy that that in a second, They are tough old trucks.

nope.... 12valve cummins have mechanical fuel pumps which are just about bullet proof vs 98.5-2002 with electronic VP44 = junk (fuel injection pump) stay away from 98.5-2002 cummins trucks.

this is one of the main reason why 94-98 12v are the most desirable cummins trucks. if you find a low mileage 12valve... they sell for same as a much newer cummins truck. it's not unusual to see someone sell off their 2007 CTD, only to buy back an old 12 valve cummins.

it's nothing to see a 12v cummins go 500k miles...

Very true.

Except that the injection pump is not the real problem on the 24v engines. It's the junk transfer pump that dies unknowingly and kills the injection pump. We do 3-4 per month here at the dealer. Dodge has a new transfer pump design that is supposed to be the 'fix' for it all.

80-86 Ford F250 is very common and parts are plenty.The 351 Windsor is a way better engine than a 351 M.Most still had carbs and are easy to work on.The Chevrolets that model had the ol Quadrajunk carb and were tough ol trucks,but really sucked on gas mileage.Not to put Dodge down,but Dodge parts in those years cost a fortune.I had a 85 F250,351 W,4 speed 4x4,had open diffs so it didnt go the best,but would creep at snail speed in 4 lo,which comes in nice in the woods.An automatic will out go a straight drive,but wont crawl or hold back goin down hill like a 4 speed.Go full size,2 tons of wood is nothin on a heavy duty 3/4 ton,cant do that with any Jap truck.

I'd call on that Hi-boy it looks solid from what you can see in the pics,it could have an 6 or 8 cylinder,If its original it would have at least a Dana 44HD front end,and a Dana 60 rear,NP 435 4 spd with 1st granny gear,heavy duty NP divorced transfer case and a factory 4" lift Tough trucks,I haul wood with mine plow snow shes a tank :cheers:

+1 Me too. If that's as solid as it looks you could do a whole lot worse. Check the floors (no holes) make sure the gas tank/tanks don't leak. Hard to beat those Hi-boys.:cheers:

Really? Must have had some bad luck with Holleys!

No, just worked on too many of them. Too much time at a speed shop removing good working Carter's and QJ's from engines only to install Holley's that never seem perfect.

No, just worked on too many of them. Too much time at a speed shop removing good working Carter's and QJ's from engines only to install Holley's that never seem perfect.

Wasn't SuperShops in Ft. Wayne was it? I never had any problems with the holleys other than stuff I caused!!! Though it did seem like I screwed with the Holleys all the time, but that was of choice.

Latest posts

Back