Best quality oil for fuel mix?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vinifirewood it happens all the time especially small dealerships. How they get around it is the same way several garages I have worked in have they chock it up to owner abuse not mechanical failure. And alot of the time it comes down to cheaply made parts that are designed to fail thus our throwaway lifestyle these days.

Vinifirewood it happens all the time especially small dealerships. How they get around it is the same way several garages I have worked in have they chock it up to owner abuse not mechanical failure. And alot of the time it comes down to cheaply made parts that are designed to fail thus our throwaway lifestyle these days.

I hear ya. I also believe it happens alot because really how many people out there know about the Magnuson-Moss Act. A lot of people just figure that what their dealer tells them is just the way it is. And truthfully I think a lot of dealers have no clue about these laws either.
Back in 01 I had some engine troubles with my snowmobile, bent crank was common with this model, so in it goes to the dealer. When I went back to pick it up he asked me what brand of oil I was using in it and I tell him Amsoil. He proceeds to give me the "only Yamalube" pitch. I was a new Amsoil dealer at the time so I call my Amsoil rep and he directs me directly to the regional sales rep at Amsoil. Long story short, Amsoil sent him a letter. Next time I talked to the sled dealer he was a little upset but admitted he was unaware of these laws and was only going off what the sled manufacturer had advised him.
About a year later when I worked for Cabelas and they were bringing in Mercury outboards I ran into a similar situation with the Mercury rep trying to tell me "Only Merc oil or no warranty". I referred him to the MM-Act and about a week later when he was back in our store he made a point to find me and tell me he had researched it and that it contradicted what the factory was telling him.
So I really who is to blame in these situations. Nobody will stand up and say I did it they are just going to point the finger elsewhere. Sad really that the dealers are either unaware or the manufacturer tells them otherwise, meanwhile its average Joe getting the screws put to him.

I used to run Ipone oil in my Rotax.
Smelled just like strawberries.
Was good oil, but pricey.
Polaris VES Gold smells like bubble gum
Ipone is excellent oil , due to some adverse coments (from the off road motor cycle guys I am led to believe) you can now buy samouri 2t sans fraise( no strawberry smell ) as Ipone is a french product I can buy at the same or less cost than than other similar quality products at my local supplier

Just a little thinking out loud on the issue of (use our oil or NO warranty issue) if you mix oil to the same ratio as recomended, & the oil you use has the same colour dye, ie. Blue Red, whatever,& has equiv rating to their product, saw coughs, dealer says what oil are you using, yours lie I through my back teeth, my thought is, is he going to send for analisis( big expense ) or just look at the fuel colour, repair saw & submit claim to saw manufacturer. Do they then try to prove that you used THEIR oil or just meet the claim to the dealer. A for example use Stihl oil or else, Stihl oil does not carry the highest Jasco rating, the oil you use does, my thoughts are, how can they blame a higher rated product for a failure & not meet the claim, but if you use their lesser rated poduct & it fails they will honour the claim, seems like a lot of insider wheeling & dealing to me, it seems if the oil is to an equal or better rating & mixed to correct ratio, the claim should be met with out a load of hassle ( not sure if we have the law mentioned in an earlierpost here) As an aside are you also in breach of warranty if you use 32/1 instead of the 50/1 mix. Gets to be somewhat stupid, but in this day & age of whatever you do; BLAME some one else for every problem, & try to claim, or get out of paying, even if all the fingers point at you, I sometimes despair

Al I can't even begin to tell you the stories of the crooked crap the garage I worked in done just so they didn't have to do warranty repairs. Anyway they could so they wouldn't have to take money out their pocket. It all comes down to your taking money out of the dealerships pocket by not buying your chainsaw stuff from the place you bought the chainsaw. It's worse nowadays with the way the economy is.

Stupid is pretty common with warranties. Not that unusual to have to use an inferior product to not void a warranty. Same goes for mix. If the factory is getting too many warranty failures they may have dealers start sending fuel samples to the lab to find out why. The lab can't see that the carb was adjusted for the fuel mix you were running so blamm, cause of failure, improper oil mix.

An aside, one of the very few jobs I was fired from, I was a kid working as an auto mechanic. We were using silicone sealer in racing applications long before it was labeled for automotive use. I was making $700-$1000 a week on fifty-fifty commission and I could tell the owner wasn't happy paying a kid that kind of money in 1970, never mind that I was making the same money plus parts profit for him! He fired me for using silicone sealer on a water pump.

Hu

Al I can't even begin to tell you the stories of the crooked crap the garage I worked in done just so they didn't have to do warranty repairs. Anyway they could so they wouldn't have to take money out their pocket. It all comes down to your taking money out of the dealerships pocket by not buying your chainsaw stuff from the place you bought the chainsaw. It's worse nowadays with the way the economy is.
I can fully comprehend as to what you say regarding the (lets put the blame on someone else & then it wont cost us attitude)seems much more common nowadays, my thoughts were more towards the attitude of what a load of bu°°°°it in only allowing warranty when using inferior products so long as it has your brand name on it. I get a bit of this as I maintain saws for a pro logging company The constant cry we get is commercial use; Warranty Void ( as we buy a fair bit of kit we get around it by playing off the dealers one against the others) We now have a guy who treats us fair, so we buy all our parts saws etc. from him; we get reps. trying to push us towards other outlets but we stay with our guy. To me fairness & service works two ways. For maybe the few euros the company could save; the uncertain hassle is not worth it.

After learning how 2-cycle oils are tested to determine their QUALITY, based on certifications such as JASO, I visited my local Stihl dealer with a few questions. I have a 660 that's still under warranty. I asked the following questions: (1) If I choose to use a 40:1 mix, instead of their recommended 50:1, will that void my warranty? My dealer said "No" it will not void your warranty as long as you use 50:1 or richer. I also called Stihl HQ's and asked a Tech the same question. He said no it will not void your warranty you'll just build up more carbon in your engine. (2) If I use a different brand of oil with a higher JASO certification other than stihl ultra, such as Belray H1R, will that void my warranty? His answer was no it will not void your warranty. He said he didn't understand the meaning of the different JASO certifications so I grabbed a premixed stihl moto-mix hp ultra non-ethanol bottle and a SEF/VP premixed bottle. On back of the stihl bottle it showed a JASO-FB certification. The SEF/VP had a JASO-FD certification...proving the oil in the VP bottle contained a higher quality oil. If you want the BEST PROVEN quality oils then go JASO-FD. I've used JASO-FB oils in the past with no issues but why take a chance with expensive equipment. Also, price of both are fairly close.

Last edited:
SEF/VP uses Motul oil but not sure which one. MotoMix most likely uses Ultra and Motul is the better oil.

Sent from my Autotune Carb
When the Rep tried to get our guys to use the ready mixed fuel the paperwork quoted Motul 710, I understand 800 is the same oil, but containing an extra additive to help the power valve stay free

I work with a Geologist that use to blend 2-cycle oils for some of the major companies. He said it's the additives that makes the difference...not the stock oil it's blended in. He said when you see a different JASO rating...it means something!

Latest posts

Back