Best quality oil for fuel mix?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron660

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I purchased a ms660 several months ago and want to use a high quality oil in my fuel mix. I'm currently using stihl hp ultra synthetic. I'm wondering is there a better proven oil than what I'm using?

Bel-ray H1-R, Amsoil saber, stihl ultra are all good oils. Stihl ultra is great oil just gets expensive if your using your saws alot. Just run at least at 40:1. Alot of guys run weird ratios like 42:1 45:1 48:1, which to me doesnt make sense. Stihl recommended 40:1 for years and only switched to 50:1 for newer EPA laws.

Bel-ray H1-R, Amsoil saber, stihl ultra are all good oils. Stihl ultra is great oil just gets expensive if your using your saws alot. Just run at least at 40:1. Alot of guys run weird ratios like 42:1 45:1 48:1, which to me doesnt make sense. Stihl recommended 40:1 for years and only switched to 50:1 for newer EPA laws.

I agree with all of the above oils.

32:1 is easy to remember.
4 oz. = 1 gal.
8 oz. = 2 gal.
10 oz. = 2.5 gal.

Take your pick. I personally am a bargain hunter. I usually buy the full syn Woodsmans Pro from Baileys. I did get some of the full synthetic Poulan oil from Wallys on clearance that I will use when my supply of Woodsmans is gone. Also got a quart Silkolene on clearance at the local Kawasaki dealer. I'll tell you if either of those products aren't any good.

There is no bonafide proof that oil x,y,z is "the best". There are a lot of modern name brand synthetic oils/blends, designed and marketed for air cooled engines, that are plenty good enough. Pick one....

I am on the side that thinks 50:1 is a little more emissions friendly, but not saw friendly, so richer in oil than that.

I've seen too many problems with premature wear when not using the manufactures oil.
image.jpg
HP Super 2-Cycle Engine Oil
This 2-cycle engine oil is a partial synthetic blend designed for high performance and low smoke.
High Performance 2-Cycle Engine Oil
A high performance 2-cycle engine oil for all STIHL products, especially professional chain saws.

HP Ultra 2-Cycle Engine Oil
This fully synthetic 2-cycle engine oil is specially suited for high performance chain saws and power tools.

I use the High Performance oil in my MS260's and the Premium in all my other saws with at least 90 octane fuel.
I've had problems in the past with amsoil in stock and race snowmobiles causing engine failure. Warranty wasn't honoured due to improper oil used.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 25
I LUV oyl threads.

Think Mr. Lee hit it on the head, "any good synthetic at 32-40:1.

I can tell you a very good oil much cheaper than Stihl Ultra.

Yamalube 2T is very good and available at any dealer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Latest posts

Back