Best replacement for a 272 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimMorrison

The wind blows em down and I cut em up
Reaction score
Finally getting around to replacing my favorite saw, a 272. It wasn't stock, performed great. I've been out of the loop for awhile, and may need some suggestions. Probably stick with a Husky. Is 372 best option, don't know much about the 572. I highly doubt my local dealer knows much about servicing an autotune saw, I certainly don't. I've got one bigger saw and a couple of smaller ones. Miss the 272 and need to replace it. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks for the above. Is the autotune really just fire and go? I've been old school so far. Just tune them a little rich, for safety, and run em.

Six or seven years ago I had an early autotune (550xp) that was troublesome up here at over a mile in elevation, so I sold it to someone closer to sea level. Although my neighbor still likes the same model. I think they've worked the bugs out of autotune. All I know is my 562 operates at 500' above sea level without trouble.

It's no great shake to adjust the tune once in a while. I carry small screwdrivers always. But it's pretty sweet when you can leave those at home.

I have a 545 mkII. I love it. Got 3 or 4 tanks through it. Has me seriously thinking about a 572 now. I was skeptical about AT. But I wanted a small saw for limbing and for wife to learn on. Very happy so far.

Im working on a 2018 572,dont know the hours but it is less than 3 years old.6 or 7 wires had chafed through the isolation with bare copper visible.Has running issues related to autotune that i have yet to figure out.

I bought it for myself but will sell it once its working.Dont see it working a long time and it will be expensive to repair every time.People that call them good are dealers/workshops that make a killing servicing them,or owners that bought them new and yet to run into trouble.The build quality is nice on them,il give em that.And they run nice when they run.

Going back to 372 or a new echo.

Il add a bit to my rant.I had to replace the block on the 572.Nothing mechanical,case cracked due to tree.The new shortblock from husqvarna they forgot to make threads for bolts,holes drilled but no threads,and yes im not talking about places were self tapping screws are used.

I asked husqvarna about it and expressed my concern for the quality of the rest of the shortblock if such mistake was overlooked at the factory,like was the crank installed correctly?Their answer was no extra warranty,had to leave the saw for warranty work at the dealer,well their warranty work dep is overwhelmed so i get the saw back earliest within 2 weeks,all they have to do is make threads for 2 holes.

Finally getting around to replacing my favorite saw, a 272. It wasn't stock, performed great. I've been out of the loop for awhile, and may need some suggestions. Probably stick with a Husky. Is 372 best option, don't know much about the 572. I highly doubt my local dealer knows much about servicing an autotune saw, I certainly don't. I've got one bigger saw and a couple of smaller ones. Miss the 272 and need to replace it. Any help much appreciated.
Personally I'd get another 272
I have several
And I have several 372s
I just like the size and balance of the 2 series.
The 572 by reputation of pro users are good saws
Not for me I'd never buy something I can't fix myself.

Two weeks for 2 holes, even if the holes are blind holes a plug tap followed by a bottoming tap might be quicker to do on your own. I "get" it should have been done already but why fight it?
Yes i have the skills and tools to make the threads,exhaust removal necessary to clear the tap.Il let husqvarna do it so that there is some sort of record if the saw goes south.It will take half an hour to do but they are already overworked with husqvarna warranty work and thats the reason for the wait.

Can't believe I'm going to say this, but if you can't rebuild your 272 or find a mint 272, oe372, or comparable red ones, then I would strongly consider a new Echo 7310.

Latest posts

Back