Best Size Stihl for Clear Cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rktman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What would be your ideal size Stihl for a clear cutting (slash and dash) job. I am working on one now and my Stihl 038 seems a bit heavy and akward, especially when you're walking/slipping on steep, loose ground. I tried a friends Husq. 50 Rancher and this seems to be more suited to this kind of work. What do you guys use or recommend?

How big are the trees? Seems that would dictate how much saw you would need. If they are under 14", seems a Husky 346xp or a Stihl MS270 would be light and have plenty of power.

JMO/2¢,
Ian

rktman said:
What would be your ideal size Stihl for a clear cutting (slash and dash) job. I am working on one now and my Stihl 038 seems a bit heavy and akward, especially when you're walking/slipping on steep, loose ground. I tried a friends Husq. 50 Rancher and this seems to be more suited to this kind of work. What do you guys use or recommend?

I suppose it depends more on the variety and size of tree you're cutting.

Steep ground is steep ground, I don't find the saw makes too much of a difference. Is it the steep terrain that prevents this from being harvested mechanically?

Haywire Haywood said:
How big are the trees? Seems that would dictate how much saw you would need. ....
Yes, that is the important part.

Assuming that it is not just brush, but most of it are less than 8", I would say MS 260, provided it has to be a Stihl.
Otherwise 346xp or 353 if money is an issue.

For wood smaller than assumed, I would say MS200.
If larger, MS361.

If you take the extra weight over the 260, take the 280, and not the 270....

This particular piece of ground has already been logged, but the remaining hickory, blackjack, pine, cedar are left and that's what I will be cutting. The most common size is under 12" with the occasional 15-18" pine or blackjack. The ground is just too steep and rocky to drive anything up it, and a chainsaw is all that can be used.

Personally I like a saw with some power for blackjack and hickory (modded 372), but if the 50 Husky works for you......the 260 is plenty saw.

Fred

Yep!

By the way the difference is larger here than in the US, and our MS260s are still rated at 2.6 kW/3.5 hp but cut slower than the 2.4 kW/3.3 hp 353.

Last edited:
rktman said:
.....The most common size is under 12" with the occasional 15-18" pine or blackjack. ...
I would seriously concider the 361 then, It weights just a tad more than the 270/280, and has a lot more power.

Mr. said:
... but if the 50 Husky works for you......the 260 is plenty saw.

Fred
Yes, that's right, but I will still suggest the 361 - I don't think he need a 70 cc saw - but that's just me....

I agree with Fred. My modded 372 does 75% of my cutting and the little dolmar 5100 does the cleanup stuff. I wouldn't trade my 5100 for a 260 cash. I am not a fan of the 260, but i guess it is about on par with a stock husky 50 from 20 years ago.

Sounds to me like a good pair of boots is what you really need. I have worked on steep ground with an 038 mag, and Huskies, from 266s to 394s, wore caulks, not good on rock, so a quality, steel toe/steel shank pair of boots with a Vibram sole that do not flex is what you need. I like Viberg linesman boots for climbing and anywhere I can't use caulks.

SawTroll said:
Yep!

By the way the difference is larger here than in the US, and our MS260s are still rated at 2.6 kW/3.5 hp but cut slower than the 2.4 kW/3.3 hp 353.

A tiny tweek of the muffler cover and it all comes back :biggrinbounce2:

SawTroll said:
Yes, that's right, but I will still suggest the 361 - I don't think he need a 70 cc saw - but that's just me....

I'd go with the 361 also... put an 18 inch bar with full comp RSC chain on it and you'll be in heaven. If it's money, get the 360 - it will last and last and last... If you're really money limited, just get a 250.

bwalker said:
The 260 is a boat anchor. The worst pro saw stihl or anyone else makes.

Yikes. It's comments like these that make me want to give up on dialing in my modded MS260 and just moving up to an MS361 or 6400 Dolmar.

bwalker said:
I gave up on my 260 several months ago and havent regretted it one bit.

Ben is there any saw you like.. They should hire you to be a saw critic..

Sometime's I start to think you even hate yourself..:hmm3grin2orange:

Jack_Shaft said:
Yikes. It's comments like these that make me want to give up on dialing in my modded MS260 and just moving up to an MS361 or 6400 Dolmar.

The 260 is not a bad saw by any means, but after comparing it to others of the same class, it is apparent that there are better choices. Just remember the source of the information. Walker has bad thoughts on very many good saws, one being the 7900

Ben is there any saw you like.. They should hire you to be a saw critic..
The only saw I truly hate is the 260. Its that bad.
Wtih that said my good list of current production saws that I have ran consists of the 372,044/440,066/660,361(behind357), 357,346. Ones I dont care for are the 395,385,046/460, 029-039, 036/360.

Back