best small/light saw between $150-$200

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtracy1223

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm looking for a small light saw for camping to fit in the canoe. I don't wsant to spend a bunch on something that might end up in the river. Been looking for a good use poulan or something on criags list but not finding much for what I think they are worth. I bought a homelite super ez auto from a guy for this this job but then I find out that the old homelites are maybe worth a bit more than what I paid and thought I might sell or trade it for something newer and/or lighter and let someone add the homelite to their collection? Sell/trade the homelite or not I would like oppinions on what ya'll think the best small saw under $200 is? Looking to cut drift wood under 14" and small stuff for camp fire. Sure I could take the sthil but would hate to worry about it all the time. Maybe just keep waiting for that cheap-o poulan craftsman ect to come along?

Get a Wild Thing and do a MM+retune. 40 cc should be more than enough for the type of cutting described. They can be found on sale for 100$, used models for half I have read. And if taken care of and properly tuned can cut a lot of wood. Spare parts are available everywhere. Loosing it won't make you sad, except you might be convinced of it by then. And it the chance are slim that someone might try to steal it because used prices are so low.
If you wan't to spend money think seriously about the Dolmar PS35. 2.3 hp in a nice small pakage.

I needed a small saw quick when one of my other saws was laid up. I happened to spot a factory reconditioned Echo 310 at a HD for $135. I took it home, gassed it up and put bar oil in and it fired on the second pull. One of the most reliable little saws I have. I thought it would be a loaner saw but I use it in the woodlot more and more on the small stuff. It's only got a 14" bar but cuts well. I have taken it in the canoe on hunting trips. I take off the bar and chain and the powerhead, bar and chain, oil and gas go into a small igloo cooler that gets taped up with duct tape. A cord attached to the handle of the cooler gets tied to a thwart in case of a tip so I don't lose the whole shebang down river.
So, I would recommend a good used saw or a factory reconditioned model - if you don't mind having "reconditioned" and the techs name and date of service engraved into the saw. I would also recommend an Echo 400 which I also saw reconditioned at the same HD for $189. By the way, they come with the full factory warranty.

I find cs 400 Echos work well and they are in the Pawn shops and on Craigslist all the time for 100-125 bucks. Husky 340-345-350's can be found here for that also.

Light duty just for camping, small quantities? Get a Bahco, Silky, Sandvik or Fiskars bow saw or arborist saw. Anything quality. Various site sponors here sell them. Only fuel needed is your lunch! Quality handsaws cut really well, try one. Brand new under 100 bucks.

Thanks guys. I understand that you are not gonna get a good pro saw in that price range but I am always interested to see what others with more experence have to say about subjects like this. Maybe I will start looking for factory referbs and see what turns up? Or just use the lil homelite like a tool and not treat it like its an antique that has been passed threw the family.

Ive never been camping or hiking without my MS170. Yeah its little and when people see it in my truck they laugh, but I can tie it to my pack and hike anywhere with it. Much faster and not much heavier than a camp axe. I bought it for that one reason, portability when tied to a pack.

A small, cheap, used saw is the ideal solution. Can be found for $50 or less. A Homelite lil red, Poulan/Craftsman 42cc, etc. The top handle Homelites are somewhat anemic but are reliable and light.

Latest posts

Back