Best sounding/loudest chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best sounding and loudest do not really go hand in hand, although it can be had from the same saw under different conditions.

The most arousing saw sound I ever encountered - my MM'ed (modest single port) Dolmar PS-7900 at WOT under the right amount of load, up to 20" bar buried will do the trick.

The loudest saw was also my Dolmar PS-7900 while I was MM'ing her and dumb me decided to start her up in a small closed room without the muffler - it felt like someone shot nails into my ears!

That's my pick anyways. :)

Nope the 2100

2100 can only come close to a 288 if it's got a twin pipe dual port modded 2101 muffler on it. that vid of Jons doesn't do the 288 justice. it gives an idea but in person it's different. it also sounds better with the OEM deflector muffler then the pipe muffler. there's so many loud saws i wouldn't even know where to start.

2100 can only come close to a 288 if it's got a twin pipe dual port modded 2101 muffler on it. that vid of Jons doesn't do the 288 justice. it gives an idea but in person it's different. it also sounds better with the OEM deflector muffler then the pipe muffler. there's so many loud saws i wouldn't even know where to start.
I remember arguing (stupidly) with somebody on here a few years back that my ported 385 should sound as good as a 288. The 385/390 is a much nicer platform to spend a day with, but it has almost none of the soul of the 288

When I had my SP80 there was no outer muffler cover just the metal screen - that was LOUD.

The Husky 2100 I have has a nice "lope" at idle and sounds good under load. Flipped the deflector forward on the 288, not much difference but still sounds good. However the ol' Mac Super 250 with the stock "can" muffler idling or under load has that nice (loud) vintage saw sound that's a little better sounding than the ear-shattering sound of a Mac 10-10. And the Sthil 045 sounds like the L65/77 Huskies. The 046/460 hybrid in the fleet with the OEM dual port doesn't have the "sewing machine" sound of newer Sthils.

I would have to agree that the 288 sounds freakin' awesome at idle. And there is something about the wail of a good running 372 that does it for me. But every time I fire the ported 390xp up I get all giddy.

Latest posts

Back