best trade ever

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watsons dozer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So about this time last year I had a post going on about my father in laws ms361 he bought brand new and a few years latter roasted. One day I took it while he was asleep and "fixed" it for him. By fixed I mean big bore and muffler mod and then retuned to run right. After that a loop of yellow stihl chain found its way on there to. Well I used it for a while "testing" it and then decided that I just couldn't let him run it as it was not safe for him, he has a bad hand. Well this year he asked about it and I told him it probably wasnt safe for him and that I would buy it from him or buy him a saw to replace it. His choice for a replacement saw..... Jones red 2238 from tractor supply. So that's what he got and I got this monster I built. Just as a test his son and I started cutting a 20" oak log up for wood, the stihl out ran the Jones red 2255 4 full cuts to 1. Oh I can't tell you how happy I am. So I'd say it was the best trade I've ever done.

Nice. Had a chance to run a modded 361 a couple of years ago and it was awesome.Definitely on my wish list.

Oh come on now. I was looking out for his best interest, or maybe my marriage. How would my wife take it if the monster( to us) saw I built mammed her father?? Or atleast that was my reasons....... The one I told her :laugh:

I do some work for an elderly neighbor, and while I was straightening his garage there lies a like new MS361 that I am trying to buy from him. I have used the saw and what a difference from my MS290. He said he didn't know he even had this saw. I would love to own it some day.

I'll get pics of it when I get home.
If he won't sell it maybe he will loan it to you so you can keep him in wood for winter?

My most recent best trade was a used crossbow I traded for a honda 4,500 watt generator.

We went 10 days without grid power last year and my other generator is not big enough to run the well pump.

Not to sound like a idiot but I have a stock 170 and 391 what kind of mods can be done and what is the approvment?

Oh come on now. I was looking out for his best interest, or maybe my marriage. How would my wife take it if the monster( to us) saw I built mammed her father?? Or atleast that was my reasons....... The one I told her :laugh:

I'm still tempted to call the cops. Tell you what - just give me the saw and we'll call it even. Then you can sleep at night knowing you did the right thing. ;)

Not to sound like a idiot but I have a stock 170 and 391 what kind of mods can be done and what is the approvment?

The more experienced guys on here will be able to give more advice then me, but I've been reading into it so here's some leads.

Removing the spark arrestor will give you a little boost (pretty noticeable on my echo's actually) and it's really simple to do. Gut the cats out of the muffler, also simple if you have the correct tools. Theres tutorials all over online to do at home porting (still not brave enough to try my hand at porting). I'm not sure which bar length your running but if it's maximum then step down a couple inches. I started with just my echo cs400 and it came with an 18" bar which is the maximum bar length. I put a 16" bar on and that 2" made it seem like I went up 10cc and everything I was able to cut with an 18" bar I've been able to cut with the 16" bar so far, and do it faster. Again just a couple leads, I'm still learning a lot myself so I'm sure the the more experienced hands can help more.

P.S. I don't know the laws in your neck of the woods but if you're cutting on forestry land you have to have the spark arrestor installed in your exhaust to keep from starting a fire.

it was awesome.Definitely on my wish list.
12j.jpg
uk4.jpg

I only cut on private land, I have access to to much to need to go any were else. As for the 361, it wears a 18 inch bar. No clue what max is. I did the muff mod on it and a neighbor tuned it. If porting makes it any faster or meaner I'd hurt myself.

I only cut on private land, I have access to to much to need to go any were else. As for the 361, it wears a 18 inch bar. No clue what max is. I did the muff mod on it and a neighbor tuned it. If porting makes it any faster or meaner I'd hurt myself.

I have mine wearing a 25" most times, max per dealer is 28" and I have one of those. It hauls it pretty good cutting big Black Locust. Don't run into much in this area that calls for a bar that long but it sure is nice to have one doing felling cuts.

Harry K

Sorry my friend, but I would have at least gotten him a dolmar 421! Much better build quality compared to the plastic thing.

But to be honest I think your FIL got the better end! Why? Because now you have to spend time at his place to cut up the pieces that little plastic saw can't handle. And what is the most precious thing to a parent? Exactly time with your children! I would give away a dozen 361's for that!

Latest posts

Back