Better fuel from a local airport?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use 100 LL all the time in all of my small equipment. All seem to like it just fine.

If your saw is tuned for ethanol fuel you will be a bit rich with the 100 LL, but not by much.

It lasts forever. (OK well not forever but a hexx of a lot longer than E10!)

It won't absorb water and leaves no residue. It does contain lead; don't let the "low lead" designation fool you. It's low compared to the old purple 130 octane!

We used to "sump" the airplanes and collect everything for the lawnmower. We also ran it in an old Gilson tractor we used to tow gliders and we couldn't kill that old thing!

The local airport has an automated machine jut like the gas station. If you have a credit card you are good to go and pump it your self.

JD

Aviation gas

If it is leaded, do you want to inhale it running saws?
What does 100 LL stand for?
I worked on runway lighting about 5 years ago when I was working
for an electrical contractor who was on the airport board.
They had credit card fuel pumps.
A local small town airport or FBO might be OK, I would call first to
check it out. Airports are security aware this day & time.

100 LL = 100 low lead.

Again "low lead" is relative and yes, i try not to simply inhale if I have a choice.

Also, security concern is a REAL issue post 911. Ask first then pump or get help pumping. Most of us (I suspect) are rural. The attitude is far different at a rural airport Vs more suburban or city.

Most airplane people are like the people here... i.e. if its loud and smoky it got to be fun! Heck, there are some fine airplane people here! :)

JD

Ale? Where did you find that gas can?

That looks like a good one to me. I would love to know where to find those!

Security is a huge concern and yes they will warm up to you after a few visits, I live about 2 miles from a small rural airport and they will only sell to known individuals. I run av gas in my old corvette but have not tried it in my saws yet. FYI they will not let you make any speed runs on the runway no matter how many times you ask!

This has been discussed time and again, but anyway...

I called the local flight service and asked if I could buy 5 gallons of Av Gas, they told me no, not without a plane or some certification that I was going to put in in my airplane. They actually suggested I call another, smaller municiple airport near by indicating they would not be so careful as to who bought / used their fuel.

I asked a flying enthusiast friend of mine and he thought we'd have no trouble to go get 5 gallons.

I never bothered to chase it any further than that since I can still get 87 no ethanol at my local Kwik Star.

I don't run hopped up saws, and all the old McCulloch literature says to use at least 70 Octane so I figure I am still good to go.

Mark

I had a short problem of getting the bigger airports to sell me the AV gas until I showed them I'm a logger and use it "offroad" for my chainsaws, so with manager approval they let me have it.

The small airport by me now doesn't give a hoot who gets it. They have a pay at the pump system and you can just drive up and fill whatever you want to fill. There isn't anyone there half the time.

I use 100LL in every two stroke I have now, and if I know that a small motor will likely sit for awhile without being run, I put it in that tank too.

I like that it is blue in color and when you put the Amsoil Saber blue in it is really, really blue. I put it in blue plastic Kerosene jugs and mix it all as soon as I get it. So there is little chance of ruining a 2 stroke, by straight gasing it.

Sam

remember... NO CATs

Never run 100LL in a CAT muffed saw, or any CAT engine.

100LL contains about 4 times more lead that leaded car gas, and leaded car gas will kill a CAT quick enough.

I am not sure you'll kill your saw, but you'll lose power as the CAT plugs up for sure.

I recently switched to 100LLAVgas and can tell no difference in performance.

110octane racing gas gummed up my piston ring real good.

AV gas is cheaper than racing gas too.

I saw some 50 fuel in my local hardware store yesterday, said he is going to start carrying it. 40 fuel also. If skeptical about a.v. fuel I think that might be the way to go. What little research I did it has good storage life,premixed, no ethanol...I run a.v. for cost, compared to race gas from station. Last I got some it was $4.25 a gal...If I loose my connection there I would probably do the 50 fuel. now I know were to get it..

I saw some 50 fuel in my local hardware store yesterday, said he is going to start carrying it. 40 fuel also. If skeptical about a.v. fuel I think that might be the way to go. What little research I did it has good storage life,premixed, no ethanol...I run a.v. for cost, compared to race gas from station. Last I got some it was $4.25 a gal...If I loose my connection there I would probably do the 50 fuel. now I know were to get it..

I'd love it if someone around Pittsburgh would carry 50Fuel. I called the manufacturer to find a local retailer but I'd have to order it. The local Sears has a 40:1 mix in a can, and the verbiage is so similar I wonder if it's made by the same company. I guess it wouldn't hurt to run 40:1 in a 50:1 saw, tuning for it. I use Shell 93 octane and hope it's ethanol-free, but don't run it in a saw past 30 days just in case.

Jack

50Fuel (and 40Fuel) is about $16 per gallon plus shipping.

Latest posts

Back