Big Orange screws up!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lxt

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Front page of the Friday paper & low n behold, Asplundh line crew cuts down the wrong tree! 100 year old maple in a couples front yard!

atleast they were nice enough to leave the wood, what really is sad...the Asplundh Rep. told the home owners "do want you want, you wont win!"

Wow.........well they just gave line clearance a black eye in that neighbor hood!! 2 Arborists were called in to determine the trees worth, a suit is in the making so it seems! Ill be watching the outcome of this, years ago the same thing happened & that home owner signed the permit (these HOs didnt sign anything & werent told anything!!) the outcome of that case was asplundh had to settle & it wasnt cheap!!!

LXT..............

That happened on one of our crews. One of the guys accidently cut down a HO award winning, prized cherry tree. It wasn't funny at the time, well no I take that back.....I remember wanting to bust out laughing when I found out what happened, but I was able to refrain myself in front of the HO and GF. That still brings tears to my eyes from laughter thinking about it.

That happened on one of our crews. One of the guys accidently cut down a HO award winning, prized cherry tree. It wasn't funny at the time, well no I take that back.....I remember wanting to bust out laughing when I found out what happened, but I was able to refrain myself in front of the HO and GF. That still brings tears to my eyes from laughter thinking about it.

I'm unclear why anything about this would be funny.

It depends on who cut it as to how funny it would be. Its actually terrible regardless of who cut it. BUT......I can think of a few people who, if they had cut it, I would str8 up LMFAO. Prolly point my finger at em while I was rolling back and forth on ground laughing

Your right, it's not funny, especially for the HO. However I'm pretty sure if you were there you would of been like the rest of us and bust out laughing. There was one moment when the GF looked like he was trying to lift the tree back up, as if he could just glue it back together. Again, I hear what your saying and no it's not funny, yet at the same time it was hilarious. Kinda had to be there I guess.

yeah Im wondering whats funny bout it also???

there is not a person on this site that if they didnt sign a permit or authorize someone to come onto their property for work purposes & came home to find their tree cut down wouldnt be jacked!!!

what a crew of idiots, no permit = no trim, no remove....plain & simple, let alone cut down a front yard tree of 100 years old & then throw the wood in there yard of various lenghts......not even nicely cut up!!

LXT..............

Lego............you twisted bastard, LOL

I know what you mean, but imagine if that was your tree??? we had funny moments while line clearing....but none pertaining to wrongful removals!!

our funny moments was a particular foreman who thought he was all that & he was a destructive thing......ran his own saws over, destroyed customers landscape figurines, cut phone lines, etc.... He even cut the nuetral wire off a single phase!! at first he was roll on the ground hilarious....but then it just got to be dangerous!

but...laughing at a 100yr old maple wrongfully removed.......thats wrong!

LXT...............

Lego............you twisted bastard, LOL

I know what you mean, but imagine if that was your tree??? we had funny moments while line clearing....but none pertaining to wrongful removals!!

our funny moments was a particular foreman who thought he was all that & he was a destructive thing......ran his own saws over, destroyed customers landscape figurines, cut phone lines, etc.... He even cut the nuetral wire off a single phase!! at first he was roll on the ground hilarious....but then it just got to be dangerous!

but
...laughing at a 100yr old maple wrongfully removed.......thats wrong!
LXT...............

UUMMMM....I think he was laughing at the untimely removal of a prize winning cherry:msp_razz:

UUMMMM....I think he was laughing at the untimely removal of a prize winning cherry:msp_razz:

Yeah.........I know! but I know what he means as far as funny!!! in this trade when someone screws up & its not you............sometimes ya gotta point & laugh!!

I am keeping an eye on this, as I think Ill be getting a call due to being one of the few Cert. Arbs & Cert Line Clearance guys around......plus the fact I have worked for that particular utility & am familiar with their specifications pertaining to nerc & ferc!

Ill keep updating as things are reported!

LXT..............

Lewis Tree service sprayed the oldest living grapevine in America"The Mothervine" sometime last year.
Its suppose to be +/-400 years old.

I've heard it may survive though.

It'll be a struggle to get any kind of compensation.

Our local electric co-op cut down a 30" walnut out of my fence line and chunked the damn thing up when I wasn't home. The closest limb was at least 10' away from their power line. I raised nine kinds of hell with them, all I got was two potted redbud trees about 3' tall. They could at least left in in a log. I felt like visiting their parked equipment in the middle of the night with a bottle of liquid glass, but that would only get to their level of ignorance.

How do you put a price on something that is Irreplaceable? Happened down here when there was a big cut to contain the EAB up in Windsor. One of the guys that went down with the logging truck told me a story of how the ground guy he had working with him( hired by the people running the work) put the chain on the saw and the thing wouldn't cut and he couldn't figure it out. Guy comes down from the perch and tells him "the got the chain on backwards!!" You get what you pay for. And they should pay dearly for their mistake. If I was called out to give a price I would say an easy $200K.

There is nothing funny about the ignorance you find on all sides of this issue. Sadly enough though, at some point, what else is there to do but laugh a little. I believe it all comes down to the old axiom...ya get what you pay for.

We already know about all the problems, it's easy to point the finger and laugh or cry foul (neither of which makes one better or worse for it), however, what are the solutions?

Accidents happen. 200K for a tree....really? What should they charge you if you accidently kill somebody on the way home from work today? Think hard before you answer, because it could happen. In the case I was talking about. The homeowner came out and asked my co-worker if he would cut down a tree for him. From my understanding the homeowner pointed to the tree he wanted cut down from the porch of the house. My co-worker thought he knew which one he was talking about and cut the tree down. He didn't ask for money, he was just doing it to be nice. I can't even remember what my co-workers real name was because after that we called him Washington. He was a good worker. Stuff happens.

Accidents happen. 200K for a tree....really? What should they charge you if you accidently kill somebody on the way home from work today? Think hard before you answer, because it could happen. In the case I was talking about. The homeowner came out and asked my co-worker if he would cut down a tree for him. From my understanding the homeowner pointed to the tree he wanted cut down from the porch of the house. My co-worker thought he knew which one he was talking about and cut the tree down. He didn't ask for money, he was just doing it to be nice. I can't even remember what my co-workers real name was because after that we called him Washington. He was a good worker. Stuff happens.
Ya that suks for sure. But I will say from how you are describing things that the HO plays a HUGE role in what happened to the cherry. If the tree I wanted cut down wasnt SUPER OBV I would walk to it and point to it. Or better yet put my hand on it and say "this one, this one RIGHT HERE" .

Latest posts

Back