Big Orange screws up!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cutting down a prize cherry on the row on accident because the HO would not get off the porch, kinda funny, having to deal with the repercussions, not so funny, but calling the guy who did it "Washington," that's priceless!:msp_lol:

Accidents happen. 200K for a tree....really? What should they charge you if you accidently kill somebody on the way home from work today? Think hard before you answer, because it could happen. In the case I was talking about. The homeowner came out and asked my co-worker if he would cut down a tree for him. From my understanding the homeowner pointed to the tree he wanted cut down from the porch of the house. My co-worker thought he knew which one he was talking about and cut the tree down. He didn't ask for money, he was just doing it to be nice. I can't even remember what my co-workers real name was because after that we called him Washington. He was a good worker. Stuff happens.

The comment was directed at LXT not you. And accidently kill someone...are you serious!! Like it happens everyday or like it would be no one's fault. There's only one kind of accident and that's a freak accident. Which driving a car or cutting down a tree does not apply.. And I didn't have to think hard to come up with that answer.. It was more like common sense. And people get millions for killing someone.. REALLY?

The comment was directed at LXT not you. And accidently kill someone...are you serious!! Like it happens everyday or like it would be no one's fault. There's only one kind of accident and that's a freak accident. Which driving a car or cutting down a tree does not apply.. And I didn't have to think hard to come up with that answer.. It was more like common sense. And people get millions for killing someone.. REALLY?

Ok, fair enough.

Kinda going off the deep end on this one, ain't ya. How is 200k "common sense?" From the article i read, it was a red maple, definitely not worth 200k if you were to log it. Heck, we have 150+ year old sugar maples (that are actually worth something) in the sugar bush that aren't worth 200k.

I think it is kind of humorous. I've seen stuff like this happen, either the homeowner or the guy cutting the tree have the tree names mixed up and the wrong one gets cut. The weeping, and wailing, and gnashing of teeth by the homeowners as they go into hysterics has always seemed ludicrous to me. But that may just be because i'm jaded when it comes to killing trees, i don't see a need to treat them like a family member.

Kinda going off the deep end on this one, ain't ya. How is 200k "common sense?" From the article i read, it was a red maple, definitely not worth 200k if you were to log it. Heck, we have 150+ year old sugar maples (that are actually worth something) in the sugar bush that aren't worth 200k.

I think it is kind of humorous. I've seen stuff like this happen, either the homeowner or the guy cutting the tree have the tree names mixed up and the wrong one gets cut. The weeping, and wailing, and gnashing of teeth by the homeowners as they go into hysterics has always seemed ludicrous to me. But that may just be because i'm jaded when it comes to killing trees, i don't see a need to treat them like a family member.

Think of it like this... A family member that has died some years ago was a sculptor and he made a huge sculpure that took him/her their whole life then some no brain idiot comes over while you were picking tulips and crushed it with a tri axle. When you come home and notice the scupture is wrecked the guy tells you that he will buy the supplies and you can carve one yourself.. It's kinda like that but we get oxygen to BREATH, they remove radiation, cool neighbourhoods, and provide an awesome relaxing view which has be proven to decrease depression and speed up recovery in hospital patients. So when it comes to something that is not replaceable even with a 200K number, I'd say that's pretty reasonable.

Accidents happen. 200K for a tree....really? What should they charge you if you accidently kill somebody on the way home from work today? Think hard before you answer, because it could happen. In the case I was talking about. The homeowner came out and asked my co-worker if he would cut down a tree for him. From my understanding the homeowner pointed to the tree he wanted cut down from the porch of the house. My co-worker thought he knew which one he was talking about and cut the tree down. He didn't ask for money, he was just doing it to be nice. I can't even remember what my co-workers real name was because after that we called him Washington. He was a good worker. Stuff happens.

Okay Lego, I retract my original statement. I do see some humor in there, especially the birth of a great nickname. It's that old expression: no good deed goes unpunished.

Think of it like this... A family member that has died some years ago was a sculptor and he made a huge sculpure that took him/her their whole life then some no brain idiot comes over while you were picking tulips and crushed it with a tri axle. When you come home and notice the scupture is wrecked the guy tells you that he will buy the supplies and you can carve one yourself.. It's kinda like that but we get oxygen to BREATH, they remove radiation, cool neighbourhoods, and provide an awesome relaxing view which has be proven to decrease depression and speed up recovery in hospital patients. So when it comes to something that is not replaceable even with a 200K number, I'd say that's pretty reasonable.

Wanna buy some trees? :msp_biggrin:

How to figure a price?

Amount of wood, now that it's down? = couple hundred?

Go to a nursery, look for a 3-4" cal. Paperbark Maple. The guy gives you a $300+ price. Then say, "No! Looking for one about a hundred years old."

Then watch the quote! ... Then tell him you want the one at the front of the office entrance, his Great GrandDad founded the nursery with?

That should help see a quote on a HO tree. Granted, it's not exactly the same, but can be similar variances.

Flagging tape or further questioning a nice tree takedown, seems to me, may be something a more seasoned worker would do? Like calling Base, "I'm about to cut down a "whatever" tree. Just wanted to make sure we are good on this." ... Just me?

It also helps having an IQ higher than the number of the cutters on your saw.:msp_lol:
IMO

Last edited:

Lol, i sometimes wonder if you listen to yourself. Your comparison to a sculpture is flawed. First off, the "sculptor" (whether you want to call him God, mother nature, or gaia) is still alive and still producing "sculptures" at a blistering pace. It makes me wonder how many of this tree's offspring did the homeowner mow off. The "sculptor" was still working, but the guy didn't want any more.

Secondly, a maple tree is not a unique work of art. They are more like a McDonald's sign, you can't turn around without bumping into one. I've got a couple of this same tree in my backyard that are coming down this summer.

Thirdly, you do realize that trees are not the biggest producer of oxygen on this planet, and if you throw in the tropical jungles around the world, this specific tree was responsible for a very minuscule amount of the oxygen produced. If you or this guy are so concerned about oxygen, are you riding bikes to work?

Fourthly, on hot days, how many people do you see enjoying the shade? Bet they are all either in front of a fan or ac unit. (I know this one can be argued, but threw it in to be difficult. I'd prefer owning a house that i don't have to ever worry about tree damage than one that's shaded by many trees.) I'm also sure this guy really enjoyed having to rake leaves every fall.

And fifthly, not everyone's taste in "art" is the same. I don't find trees relaxing and don't find them beautiful.

I think 200k would be an outrageous ploy to profit from something that many don't even consider a bad day, much less a tragedy. Honestly, i think some people need to reevaluate what actually constitutes a tragedy.

Last edited:
Just wondering beowulf what credentials do you have? and if you have any idea of the cost of moving a very large tree?

Hey by the way I may sound like your girlfriend, but you sound like my EX, talking about something that she knows nothing about..

Last edited:

I left out one important detail......the Homeowners gave prior permission to cut down an evergreen tree!! (article didnt say what kind)....the flunky`s from Big O cut down the R.maple instead!!!!!!

LXT....................

Well that makes all the difference! They are about the same different species. After a bottle of scotch and a smack to the head, I can definitely see me thinking about it.

See it could be the HO's fault: They said they could cut down a tree! ... Did they state which State the tree was in, to clarify? One of dem der lawyers can get them boys off of it ... ???

Proof, Ya can't fix stupid!:hmm3grin2orange:

I would swear I saw in a sorta recent copy of TCIA magazine that there is a mathamatical formula to calculate the cash value of a tree. Maybe I am wrong. Where is Jeff when we need him? Or JPS? I would bet one of those 2 would know

There was a recent situation around here. The ROW crew was being supervised by a professional forester. The utility contract supervisor was also a professional. There was some confusion on which trees to remove, so the ROW supervisor called the utility guy to get clarification. One looked at the map with north at the bottom, the other with north at the top. The utility guy said, cut the trees on the left side of the road. You got it, wrong trees.

The utility did a whole bunch of kowtowing but the HO was not happy. Ultimately, he laid a discipline and ethics complaint with the professional foresters association. It was determined that due diligence was done and an honest mistake was made but shows how far a PO'ed HO will go.

The 200k comes from the cost to replace,not the value of the tree. To actually replace a tree of substantial size, many things need to happen, all costing money, droppin lines, traffic control, etc. Valley Crest and Davey do it. How often, not sure, but it is done. The cost for a project like that is huge. Just to "box" the tree can take a week, usually done by hand, one board at a time. Now lets talk transport! Big dollars, so 200k? Easy!

Latest posts

Back