Big Orange screws up!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually if you scroll down on the article they have a pic of the tree crew
thumbnail.aspx
Here they are

Last edited:
Not to hijack the thread, or get in the middle of a no win situation, but I have been wondering when it may happen to me that an unauthorized person (renter, neighbor, other) hires or tells us to remove the wrong tree.

That could get ugly.

Not to hijack the thread, or get in the middle of a no win situation, but I have been wondering when it may happen to me that an unauthorized person (renter, neighbor, other) hires or tells us to remove the wrong tree.

That could get ugly.
Sure could. We're pretty small time and we have this happen at least once per year. We go to the county GIS sites to see the name of the property holder and check property lines. If the tree is close to the line we talk to the neighbors. If anything doesn't smell right we just turn the job down. Not worth the headaches.
Phil

200 k:dizzy: rofl truth is; depending on size the value is likely going to be log market value and that puts it under 100 bucks here anyway. Then sentimental value or aesthetic perhaps replacement either being a far cry from 200 k:rolleyes: It seems these turn of events always get grandiose value placed on them by our sue happy culture. I feel in this case replacement value is the fair solution but I would base my award off the attitude of the plaintiff. If he publicly bad mouthed or brought un-necessary public scrutiny on the companies mistake or threatened a bunch of malarky it could be case closed imo. Likely the public humiliation in this case has done more harm than the true value off said tree, what part did the ho have? In this case I personally feel if they offset cost of replacement by advertisement damage we would end with the ho owing for removal. However: that is if the ho did not try to negotiate because in my view no matter how stupid a mistake seems it is still a mistake. Should we be allowed to run your name in the mud at public level then expect a monetary gift? If so fine, my gift would be however many dollars replacement is minus acts against said company. Many times this would even the score:monkey:

Hey rope, you're not trying to actually make sense of this circus are you?

C'mon...you know better. ;)

You just need to see this with the right pair of eyes, my friend. :crazy1:

First, the shame is the punishment for making a mistake, in a jungle of neglected mistakes, while trying to coordinate the efforts of providing safe and reliable power to the masses. (A thankless endeavor....except when the power's out)

Secondly, besides the matter of blame and shame, the tree must be replaced with something as good, or BETTER. Get it straight MISTER, 200K is DEAD ON....if you include attorney’s fees.:angrysoapbox::jester:

Now then, what we need to do is come up with a solution. Solution, solution...let me think, solution.

Ah! A solution...that we can paint on the stumps to make them age instantly. That coupled with the right sized chipper and we are good to go.

"You cut down my prize mulberry popular hybrid tree!"

"What tree?"

"The one over there!"

"Where?"

"There's the stump right there!"

"Wha, that old thing, that was like that when we got here."

When I first posted the idea of the 200k, I did not see a picture of the tree and was more of a guess of the trees worth more than anything. The loss of the tree affects not only the property value, but this has had an emotional effect on the homeowners as well. The bad publicity that the tree service received I believe is not even close to any type of restitution for the HO. If 200k is not a relative amount, what would be?

Just wondering beowulf what credentials do you have? and if you have any idea of the cost of moving a very large tree?

Hey by the way I may sound like your girlfriend, but you sound like my EX, talking about something that she knows nothing about..

Honestly, while i've spent all my life in one aspect of the tree business or another, i have absolutely no experience when it come to moving trees. So in the interest of learning new things, i decided to find out. Talked to some owners who have been in the business a long time and they gave me the contact info of a couple outfits who do nothing but tree moving and transplanting. So for ####s and giggles, i sent them both an email giving them the situation (mature red maple, pa, etc.) and asked them how much to buy a new mature tree, transport, and replace. Interestingly, even with both having to transport across state lines, it was still around a quarter of the 200k number of yours. One even gave a price of replacing the red maple with a mature oak and it was still under 60k. So it kind of makes me wonder what your credential are and if you have any idea of the cost of moving a tree?

If 200k is not a relative amount, what would be?

I say grind the stump, professionally landscape, and maybe $5k.

When I first posted the idea of the 200k, I did not see a picture of the tree and was more of a guess of the trees worth more than anything. The loss of the tree affects not only the property value, but this has had an emotional effect on the homeowners as well. The bad publicity that the tree service received I believe is not even close to any type of restitution for the HO. If 200k is not a relative amount, what would be?

:cry::cry::cry:
Jeff

So we have 30 k actual damage tops then 170 k emotional bs right? Man, this emotional stuff is expensive I guess it's like crotch coffee or something:rolleyes: I'm sorry but I have views on these monetary gifts that are not popular with a sue happy culture. Hey Ricky how much you pay for advertising and things to promote a good reputation? I am not trying to lessen the mistake but why does it have to get publicized it is not as if they fell it on their house? Anyway, mistakes happen I guess some pay dearly and some just pay. I can't help but feel emotional over being low-balled into poverty hmmmmmm maybe I have a case:)

Honestly, while i've spent all my life in one aspect of the tree business or another, i have absolutely no experience when it come to moving trees. So in the interest of learning new things, i decided to find out. Talked to some owners who have been in the business a long time and they gave me the contact info of a couple outfits who do nothing but tree moving and transplanting. So for ####s and giggles, i sent them both an email giving them the situation (mature red maple, pa, etc.) and asked them how much to buy a new mature tree, transport, and replace. Interestingly, even with both having to transport across state lines, it was still around a quarter of the 200k number of yours. One even gave a price of replacing the red maple with a mature oak and it was still under 60k. So it kind of makes me wonder what your credential are and if you have any idea of the cost of moving a tree?

I like to see how they are going to move a 60 foot tree and plant it for 60k. How big would the mature oak be? Maybe 20 or 30 feet? Big difference from the one they destroyed. Plus they still have to guarantee it.

So we have 30 k actual damage tops then 170 k emotional bs right? Man, this emotional stuff is expensive I guess it's like crotch coffee or something:rolleyes: I'm sorry but I have views on these monetary gifts that are not popular with a sue happy culture. Hey Ricky how much you pay for advertising and things to promote a good reputation? I am not trying to lessen the mistake but why does it have to get publicized it is not as if they fell it on their house? Anyway, mistakes happen I guess some pay dearly and some just pay. I can't help but feel emotional over being low-balled into poverty hmmmmmm maybe I have a case:)

Don't forget attorney's fees, those can get outrageous in cases like this I'm sure. It's cheaper to fold and pay out than risk it, which is at least part of the reason companies are quick to settle if the HO pushes it.

Like you said, this is a sue happy culture, and the only ones laughing are the lawyers.....all the way to the bank.

Your missing the point , they can plant nice tree for a fraction of 30K and there not gonna , and as far as the 170 K in emotional damages like I said they may get a new 3" sugar maple with a bill for the mulch and some gift cards to TARGET , seriously I talked with someone about this before and they get alot hit with a alot of lawsuits just like this and by the time they tire the HO out dragging there feet for a few years they are thrilled with the tree and a" APOLOGY" and I think thats fair ..

That could get ugly.

I did it last year and funny thing is right now, I'm working through someone else for the property owner on whose property I cut the tree! I don't think the owner ever found out because later that same month, another tree company went into the subdivision and cut a bunch of other trees throughout for views and maybe the owners thought the tree came down as a result of that. :clap::clap:

So you researched and it'll cost 60k for an agreeable replacement but you think its fair to landscape and give the ho 5k? Did i read that correctly?
It sounds like a lot of money but if you have the proper insurance even if you made a mistake like this you wouldn't get put in the poor house.Glad i got 3mil! And of course the ho will probably get more money for the tree than it was worth to him before the accident. but it was his tree and he'll miss it more when its gone. Kinda like people.And the fact that a replacement in the truest sence is impossible. Trees aren't manufactured they take a lifetime to grow.

Latest posts

Back