Big trunks do I need 660 Or stick with 051

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gensetsteve

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have about 10 cords or so of wood but its in trunks 4-5ft thick and 15ft long. I have a 051 with no chain brake in good order with 26in blade. should I buy a good 660 with 36in bar and sell when done or am I being a wus. Most of the trunks are horse chestnut which I think I need to cut and split before it dries out or its a mare to split etc. I am going to cut this for fire wood. I sometimes feel the 051 is a bit underpowered with the 26in blade but it is getting old now. Any opinions appreciated.

If your 051 feels underpowered, then it must be wearing out! I run mine with a 36 inch and it it pulls like a mother! What compression does it have?

Thats interesting Lakeside thanks for that. I will get my compression tester out. When i bought it the previous owner had used it for small logs and it smoked and black gung came out of the exhaust. I have now given it some proper work and it seems better but could be glazed.

Lakeside53 said:
If your 051 feels underpowered, then it must be wearing out!

I'll second that. I'm running mine with a 30in bar. and even under a full load the saw doesn't seem to struggle one bit. Maybe its time for a new set of rings for your saw, if the compression is low.

I did a compression test first pull gets 150 psi second pull upto about 175. Did my 038 while at it about the same . I may be running the saw a bit rich it does use some fuel and produces a kind of warble up and down at full revs. The colour of the plug looked perfect. Thanks for the help so far I like my 051 it feels well made and low revving compared to some of the saws I have.

Compression numbers sound good.

What are you running in terms of chain type and sprocket? The older saws have enough torque that they often benefit from an eight- or nine-tooth sprocket when running 3/8" pitch chain. So if you're running 3/8" with a 7 tooth sprocket, that may explain some of your dissatisfaction with its cutting performance.

What exactly do you mean when you say that it feels underpowered? Is it bogging in the cut, not cutting fast enough, struggling to maintain revs, etc?

I will check muffler tommorrow and count teeth on sprocket. A bigger sprocket would give more torque and less speed I would have thought, so a bigger one may be better. The saw does seem to bog out but I may be expecting too much. If I lever the saw into the cut it stalls the engine, if the blade is sharp and I let the saw do the work it makes progress but fairly slow. It may be fitted with a 9 tooth cog giving a slow speed if that makes any sense.
When I first had the 051 the fumes made my eyes water but have not noticed this lately could be because weather is cooler and we have some breeze now and I retuned the carb early on.
I seem to have the same problems with my 038 so it could be I am not setting the carbs up with enough power. the 038 has a 20in blade and struggles with logs over 15in.
I saw a local tree surgeon cut a trunk with a 26in blade on a very large new husky saw so may be the local hardwoods require this set up. Needless to saw the saw cut through like it was butter.

Gensetsteve said:
.....I will check muffler tommorrow and count teeth on sprocket. A bigger sprocket would give more torque and less speed I would have thought, so a bigger one may be better. The saw does seem to bog out but I may be expecting too much. If I lever the saw into the cut it stalls the engine, if the blade is sharp and I let the saw do the work it makes progress but fairly slow. It may be fitted with a 9 tooth cog giving a slow speed if that makes any sense.

just the opposite, bigger sprocket gives more speed and less torque (the bigger the sprocket -> more links go trought in one revolution of engine)

I am sure your right I need to sit down and get it straight in my head. I tend to think of the gears on a cycle. But which ever I will have a look at the saw tommorow and see whats fitted

Just as a matter of interest, when was the chain last sharpened or a new one fitted and how much wood have you cut with it?

I rarely get through three tanks of fuel before resharpening good size chips no dust. Chain plenty of wear left, bar and sprocket poor and could do with replacing.

If I do replace what would you recommend as I have been quoted about 250 dollars

Gensetsteve said:
I rarely get through three tanks of fuel before resharpening good size chips no dust. Chain plenty of wear left, bar and sprocket poor and could do with replacing.

If I do replace what would you recommend as I have been quoted about 250 dollars

To replace the bar and sprocket?! Sheeit! Where did they come up with that number?!

EDIT: A bit of comparison - the 25" bar and chain below, together, ran me about $70usd. A new drum/sprocket should be about $30, which ought to bring the whole process to about $100usd.

October_GTG_10Small.jpg

Last edited:
Gensetsteve, you state that you live in england, but where New England or the UK?

For $250-00 I'd expect a bar and several chains

England uk

£60-£70 sounds better is that stihl or pattern

At that rate I could go for a 30in and new sprocket for about £100 or will my saw take a 36in I am sure when I spoke to stihl they said 25in was the longest bar they recommend

Gensetsteve said:
England uk

£60-£70 sounds better is that stihl or pattern

At that rate I could go for a 30in and new sprocket for about £100 or will my saw take a 36in I am sure when I spoke to stihl they said 25in was the longest bar they recommend

The 25" maximum recommendation was probably based on kickback considerations, not any mechanical constraints. It will physically accept a bar up to 84", but I would consider 36" a practical maximum to provide acceptable performance. At that length you might want to run skip chain to ease chip removal and to take a bit of load off the saw.

Gensetsteve said:
I seem to have the same problems with my 038 so it could be I am not setting the carbs up with enough power. the 038 has a 20in blade and struggles with logs over 15in.

It seems like you are having the same problems with both saws so I think you may be looking at a problem that is a simple as incorrectly sharpened chains. The 038 is a saw that is capable of pulling a 20 bar authoritatively through at least a 15 inch log. I think your best bet is trying a new chain on the 051 and see if that helps.
Otherwise you said the sprocket on the 051 was worn pretty well so maybe the clutch is slipping due to glazed clutch shoes or drum. But I would first start with a new chain at least.

Latest posts

Back