Big trunks do I need 660 Or stick with 051

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the excellent advice, although i have sharpened saws for years by hand I have noticed an improvement lately so may be still room for improvement. I was thinking of getting one of those little electric ginders. I will have a look at those links.

MY 051 is set up as original from the factory with a full comp .404 chain. It is very low revving - like 10,500 or so max, and rev limited thougth the carb. You need a big chain (or a chain with a big "bite") to take advantage of the torque.

An 051 really only worked well with 404 chain.
That being said, you need to load the saw enough to get past the governer and lean out properly.
I would go with a higher tooth count with the 3/8 chain.
I would take the rakers down slightly more.
Once the chain is fully engaged in the wood, it should lose all 4cycling and run smooth.
You may have a worn governer valve in the carburetor. Also, the inlet lever may be too high.
A properly tuned 051 should keep cutting if you stood on top of it, at least it always seemed that way.:greenchainsaw: :blob5:

That being said, you need to load the saw enough to get past the governer and lean out properly.
Once the chain is fully engaged in the wood, it should lose all 4cycling and run smooth.
You may have a worn governer valve in the carburetor. Also, the inlet lever may be too high.
A properly tuned 051 should keep cutting if you stood on top of it, at least it always seemed that way.:greenchainsaw: :blob5:

Back