books?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imagineero

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've read some good threads on books in the past, but I've been searching around and cant seem to find them. I'm looking for a good pruning book and have come up with a couple that look pretty good. Would love to hear any opinions on these two, or any other reccomendations;

Tree pruning basics; Shigo

An illustrated guide to pruning; Gilman

I'm also looking for something to get my foot in the door with report writing and tree inspections. Something about VTA, or SULE, or both... I've been writing arborist reports for different councils for about a year now, but I really just write what I think of the tree by looking at it. I put my own estimates in for SULE, but there's nothing objective about it. The figures I come up with are just based on my own experience of my local areas. Same with my tree assesments; they're pretty subjective. I can point out which part of a tree is going to fail, and have a fair idea of when.... but I can't back it up with any sort of math. Mattheck seems to be the defacto standard for VTA, but I'm not sure which of his books to get. Some look like they are written for kids? These two look promising;

Body Language of Trees: A Handbook for Failure Analysis; Mattheck

Updated Field Guide for Visual Tree Assessment; Mattheck

Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Shaun

get the gilmans it got way more information than you ever need. it cover way more than just pruning plus there alot of free info, PDF on the net and it cheaper than a $100 for a book but that book is worth it,

and for a paper back, what can really be in that book to help you determined a future failure in a tree

I found a copy of that 'body language of trees' book in my local college. I'm having a read of it now, it's pretty good. No idea why those used copies are $1500 on amazon, there are some out there for $70. I'd pay $70 for a copy, it's well written. I'll put a review up when I'm done with it.

Shaun

Have you got a link to the Gilman pdf on the net? If I like it I'd be happy to buy a copy, but it's always nice to have a look before buying, and none of the libraries near me have it.

Shaun

I found a copy of that 'body language of trees' book in my local college. I'm having a read of it now, it's pretty good. No idea why those used copies are $1500 on amazon, there are some out there for $70. I'd pay $70 for a copy, it's well written. I'll put a review up when I'm done with it.

Shaun

thanks! would love to know whats in a 1500 $ tree book.... a big secret? lost knowledge? how to make a magic potion?... what could it be?:confused:

A seller can list the price of an out-of-print book for whatever astronomical sum he wants on Amazon and other sites. I think it is a "supply and demand" thing, but the author of the book ain't gonna get a cent in additional royalties.

here is an oldie but goodie... THE TREE BOOK by Julia E. Rogers - copyright 1905 by Doubleday, Page & Company, The World's Work Press, New York
PB025805.jpg

A few shots of my book shelf. I have a couple dozen more books on trees but they are scattered around. I'm in the middle of 'Trees, Yearbook of Agriculture' at the moment. It's been interesting.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

What is up with those weird cartoon animals in the WEC?:confused:

Back