Boots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vuotto

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a pair of boots that is about 12 years old and I think it's time to replace them. I want to make sure I have something with a steel toe for when I'm using the chainsaw. Mostly I cut firewood, and fell some standing dead trees. Other than that I use my boots for camping, or keeping my feet dry in the winter.

Does anyone have a recommendation?

For weekend duty I like the Hermans survivors ($50 at wal-mart) or anything you like from Wolverine that has a steel toe. I always keep a fresh set of gel inserts in the boots to help with the comfort - makes them feel like the more expensive ones.

I know the work week crowd will poo-poo the idea of $50 STOE boots - but for the weekend warrior they are sufficient as a safety shoe.

For chainsaw work I wear Matterhorns chainsaw safety boot (kevlar in the tongue, steel toe). These are too expensive to wear unless the saw is actually running :)

My wife was spending a lot of time in her STOE shoes as an EMT so she spent a lot more on them than I would have. I tend to wear them to pieces then replace them.

Thanks for the info. I don't want to spend too much seeing as I won't be wearing them all the time, so those Hermans sound good. I was just looking at these:
http://www.americanmadeworkboots.com/carolina231.html

That's probably about the most I would spend. Those Gel inserts are a good idea, especially if I end up taking a long hike.

if youre gona spend $120+ i would look for something with goretex in it, in that price range you should be able to find gortex lined boots easily.
i have a nice pair of timberland thermal force for cold weather/working with all the bells and whistles
and then some goretex wolverines that i wear in the summer and for riding the 4 wheeler and stuff like that
it would be hard to find one pair of boots that are good year round, in the winter you are gona want some insulation, in the summer, the exact opposite

if youre gona spend $120+ i would look for something with goretex in it, in that price range you should be able to find gortex lined boots easily.
i have a nice pair of timberland pro thermal force for cold weather/working with all the bells and whistles, insulation, goretex, etx
and then some goretex wolverines that i wear in the summer and for riding the 4 wheeler and stuff like that
it would be hard to find one pair of boots that are good year round, in the winter you are gona want some insulation, in the summer, the exact opposite
ive always had 2 pairs of boots, one nice pair for work, the more expensive pair, then a cheap pair like some $50 walmart boots for playing in

Back