Brand new Oil seal leak help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It could be something as simple as an errant hair that got assembled with the seal on the inner lip.
No offense, or smart-assed-ness intended :):
The excess amount of Dirko sealer that's squeezed out is more than likely squeezed out on the inside of the engine too.
I take a plumbers 1/4" acid brush to smooth out the dirko, and remove any excess.
PS; In my opinion, Yamabond #4 is far more forgiving, cheaper, and less messy than dirko. Even on a base gasket omit, you can fire up the saw just as quick as you can finish assembling the saw.....(15 min)
I do several rebuilds a day, and a small tube will last a couple months. A dead 1/8" dremel shank poked back in the end keeps it from drying out for weeks.

If that's a new seal, I'd guess your inner lip has rolled, the spring is missing, it's wrong, or just plain defective.
I'm assuming you cleaned the crank surface, and oiled the seal.
It could be something as simple as an errant hair that got assembled with it, or a dust bunny.

Ah... alexcagle beat me to it.:)

On a side note how does it handle vacuum pressure?

It doesn't look like any Stihl seal I've seen before, with a seemingly molded in reinforcement ring.
Screenshot_20200129-040207.jpg
It may not be all the way in against the case housing.
If I see that right, it looks like it doesn't clear the flywheel taper, maybe? It still shouldn't leak under pressure though, as that's the inner lips' job. Maybe that's a bodgy Chinesium seal aye?

No, wait. It's upside down. (down there in Austria).....:D:D

Thanks guys, seal is correctly orientated and is OEM “soft seal” which should be installed with the ring facing out. It’s completely on the shaft and not on the taper but it’s close. The lip we can see is a dust seal and the inner is the oil seal. Hmmm Thaanks for the suggestions !
While there is too much Dirko, I'd run saw as it is. Seems to hold pressure well enough to not cause a problem. You can always recheck after a tank or two.

Took it out with the engine together will fit another. Notice where it’s leaking, it’s from the bloody gap in the metal ring area. When I pushed the ring around, the air leak moved inline with it every time. anyway, going to tap a new one in and go from there.

what sealant gives you a longer working time than dirko? This stuf is a pain in the arse. It skins up so quickly it’s infuriating.

I use
Took it out with the engine together will fit another. Notice where it’s leaking, it’s from the bloody gap in the metal ring area. When I pushed the ring around, the air leak moved inline with it every time. anyway, going to tap a new one in and go from there.

what sealant gives you a longer working time than dirko? This stuf is a pain in the arse. It skins up so quickly it’s infuriating.
permatex grey is what I use

Back