brand new saw in your hands

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood junky

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What is your break in process.

I just took delivery of my 7900.

32:1 ratio
bar oil
adjust idle and oil flow

put 5 tanks into it and readjust.

any advantages to synthetic or various other potions?

revisit adjustments after 15 total tanks?

kevin

7900 oh yeah!!

congrats on a great saw purchase!!!

I would run whatever mix you normally use,run the saw normally,just avoid
out of cut revving and don't do alot of long full bar cuts right away.
after a few tank fulls your good to go.

All I would say is don't run synthetic oil for the first gallon or so. The stuff is so slick it will actually keep your rings from seating.

Agree^^^^
My ms270 is now finally broken in the only thing I did was run it and dummied down the mix to 40:1, just this thing I have about 50:1, ain't no big thing and discussed ta death several times in other threads. Interesting comment about using synthetics right off the bat, makes sense, though I don't use them it seems a very good point to bear in mind. Have to do a 'Ditto' on the revving the snot out of a new saw OTB, no good can come of this sort of behaviour :D

:cheers: And congrats on the new addition!! *color me green!* From what the other owners have said about the 7900's they seem to be standing up very well indeed!

Serge

Just avoid excessive WOT out of wood, and prolonged cuts - like millling, or very large wood - for the first 10-15 tanks.

yea haw

back from the first afternoon cutting with the 7900.

I am taking it a bit easy normal bugs are being worked out.

but that saw is strong and very comfortable to run for a few hours in the log pile.

My log pile is literally just piles of tree length logs stacked 6 or 8 ft high, must of the stuff is too big for the tub grinder. 24-40 in diam

so i just walk along make my cuts and push the rounds out the edge for pick up later. i ended up doing a tank full before I started moving rounds into the truck.

So swinging the saw and walking as I moved from area to the next I did not notice any extra weight but in the cut I noticed tons of power and quick revs.

My normal reference is a ms361.

the set up now is the 7900-24" total super bar in stainless. pics will be coming tomorrow.

Kevin

thanks for the replies on feed and care of the new one

Mix fuel and oil as per manufacturer's specs... and...

JUST GO CUT WOOD

Seriously... don't baby it... get out and cut with it. The only thing I wouldn't do with a brand spankin' new saw... is ALAP stumps.

Gary

put some hours on yesterday

I put some hours on it yesterday and what a blast.

the 24 made quick work of the 30 oak I was bucking up. I did two loads in preparation for the new splitter that was delivered today. Last year I did 8 cords or so by hand and I am doubling the amount this year so i had to get a splitter.

Although the question I heard most today had something to do with my new splitter coming with panties and a skirt because I must be some kind girl for not wanting to hand split anymore.

i feel very well set up

ms 361 18 and 20 es bars

7900 20-24 total super bars.

powertek 6 horse 20 ton splitter and an unlimited source of wood.

thanks

i am going to start to play with the chain types for the 7900 what do you rec
?

k

Me personally... I would use full skip round chisel on it... 3/8", .050

But you could get away with full comp with that saw and it will be just fine. Just more cutters to sharpen. I'm lazy so I run full skip on dang near everything.:D

Gary

Back