Breaking bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
165_A10.jpg

any bells starting to ring yet ;)

I've definitely always considered those things to be pretty Euro and or not that common here...I think northern tool has a pretty inexpensive one; i imagine the stihl and husky ones will be $$

LOL a friend of mine bought one last year for his F.I.L. and they sent him 2 in the mail. :cheers:. they work like a dream in moving lenghts around the ground or when up on trailers to make room for the next log. Basically just a big rod to move heavy logs around.

LOL a friend of mine bought one last year for his F.I.L. and they sent him 2 in the mail. :cheers:. they work like a dream in moving lenghts around the ground or when up on trailers to make room for the next log. Basically just a big rod to move heavy logs around.

so why not just use a cant hook???:confused:

They are called felling levers. They are placed in the kerf of the back cut when felling and lifted to help get the tree tipped. They are many times used in place of a wedge, but are only effective on smaller diameter (up to 20" DBH) trees that don't have a significant back lean.

Thanks for the answers guys, I 've always eyeballed them at my OPE dealer and woundered if they were usefull or not. My dealer has one on special at the moment, its made by fiskars and looks to be well made, Trying to decide if I could use one or not? I figured they probably would be handy for inserting a wedge? howerver i was'nt certain.

I have never seen or used one, that said the stihl and husky ones are probably the best on the market.

Yup, I carry a bar with me when cutting. I think it's called a "pinch" bar. It helps in moving logs around and if you can't get to the bottom of the cut, it helps to break it apart if you need a little something extra.

Mine is just a bar about 5' long that's small diameter round on the top, and tapers up about half way into a square and the flattens out into a wedge on the end. They make them in different configurations, but that's the one that I like the best for cutting wood.

This one is shaped a little different than my favorite one, but I have one of these that works as well.

attachment.php

Yup, I carry a bar with me when cutting. I think it's called a "pinch" bar. It helps in moving logs around and if you can't get to the bottom of the cut, it helps to break it apart if you need a little something extra.

Mine is just a bar about 5' long that's small diameter round on the top, and tapers up about half way into a square and the flattens out into a wedge on the end. They make them in different configurations, but that's the one that I like the best for cutting wood.

This one is shaped a little different than my favorite one, but I have one of these that works as well.

Yup - pinch bar - really good for moving large rocks, too.

(BTW "breaking bar" is a UK term)

Recently found a 4' pry bar from Tractor Supply (link below) for $20!!! It has a broader tips at each end and has a multitude of uses so I can carry fewer tools on my ATV when harvesting. It works well as a felling lever, also replaces my cant hook and log jack for limbing and bucking. I make a small bore cut in the stem, insert the appropriate end and roll the log. Fairly good as a hookaroon, too. Stihl in one hand, pry bar in the other - all that's needed to drop, limb and buck any tree.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp...0551_10001_137532_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1
4044111.jpg

Last edited:
Yup - pinch bar - really good for moving large rocks, too.

(BTW "breaking bar" is a UK term)

Recently found a 4' pry bar from Tractor Supply (link below) for $20!!! It has a broader tips at each end and has a multitude of uses so I can carry fewer tools on my ATV when harvesting. It works well as a felling lever, also replaces my cant hook and log jack for limbing and bucking. I make a small bore cut in the stem, insert the appropriate end and roll the log. Fairly good as a hookaroon, too. Stihl in one hand, pry bar in the other - all that's needed to drop, limb and buck any tree.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp...0551_10001_137532_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1
4044111.jpg
I use one often, when dropping small trees. I modded a cheap Chinese one I bought at Princes Auto by welding a piece of 2'' x1/4'' flat bar on the prying end and grinding a edge on it. I have always called them a nail bar. I also cut the nail pulling end off mine and wrapped it in hockey tape. It really helps in controlling the tree with a very small drop zone target.I used to cut a lot of 8'' Lodge Poll pine that grow only a few feet apart and some tricks were needed to get the perfect drop with out hanging it up on any other trees.

Back