breaking her in properly

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the gross on that trailer..? How did you go about loading & unloading, do the wheel wells get in the way? Nice setup btw.

What's the gross on that trailer..? How did you go about loading & unloading, do the she'll weeks get in the way? Nice setup btw.
the gross on the trailer is 12k the fenders have there good and bads, they help to keep the first stack of logs in place but they are a pain for off loading, a deck over is in the near future. The guy buying it has an old john deere crawler with a winch, we used some tongs and pulled them off the back in less than an hour

I like the low pro goose neck!!!
its been a great trailer just not big enough sometimes. I would like to be able to fit three cords and take the tractor so i dont have to make two trips every time i load up. its going on craigslist in the next month or two, hoping to find a good used tandem dually deckover

Do you think you can haul 3cord & a machine on a SRW F-Series? Or do you have a bigger truck? I certainly think that would be way over weight. What do you think?

Do you think you can haul 3cord & a machine on a SRW F-Series? Or do you have a bigger truck? I certainly think that would be way over weight. What do you think?
i know for a fact it would be over gvwr on the truck but they can handle it, certainly need to drive smart. I just bought this truck but i pulled right around max weight rating with my 2010 f350 many times and it pulled great. That is three cords in the picture, plus tools, and a transfer tank full of diesel and it pulled great, more importantly though the engine and tansmission breaking worked amazing. I wouldnt think twice about pulling another 10k with it

I think a guy with a CDL would have trouble pleading ignorance, but others might get away with it. Have a drunk pull out in front of you and get nailed, he hires the right attorney and it could become a big problem.

If you hauled three cords at 4000# each plus 4000# for the trailer heating with wood just became very expensive if you get stopped. I don't know the GCWR of that truck, but the trailer is licensed for 12000# and with singles it will need tires heavier than load range E to be legal at three cords. You have licensed weight, rated weight stamped on the door(truck, trailer and combined limits) tire load limit and axle limit. Sometimes road or bridge limits also.

Not that I wouldn't sneak around some, just throwing it out there. We all take risks now and then.

I think a guy with a CDL would have trouble pleading ignorance, but others might get away with it. Have a drunk pull out in front of you and get nailed, he hires the right attorney and it could become a big problem.

If you hauled three cords at 4000# each plus 4000# for the trailer heating with wood just became very expensive if you get stopped. I don't know the GCWR of that truck, but the trailer is licensed for 12000# and with singles it will need tires heavier than load range E to be legal at three cords. You have licensed weight, rated weight stamped on the door(truck, trailer and combined limits) tire load limit and axle limit. Sometimes road or bridge limits also.

Not that I wouldn't sneak around some, just throwing it out there. We all take risks now and then.
Yes i completely agree with you, i deliver locally but will admit those things do cross my mind. I never have weighed the load with three cords on it but i too figured about two tons a cord, plus the trailer weighs 3250 so im about 3250 over legally,truck is rated around 16000 i believe so with tools and transfer tank i tip the scales a bit but funny thing in vermont, The truck can pull whatever you want with it if its registered for it regardless of the gvwr, the trailer however would get me in trouble

Do you guys need a DOT number out there? In WI, if the gross weight of a vehicle plus trailer is 10000# or over, all the vehicle registration info must be shared. I know some states are more lenient that way. It was easier to sneak around when I did not have a cdl.

I think you might be right about the truck weight registration from a legal standpoint, but I would bet that if there was an accident, regardless of whose fault it is, the GCWR would be examined closely by attorneys and insurance companies. They prolly lobbied to have it listed on the vehicle :) Not to be a snot, just sayin.

Nice load of wood btw! Snow is too durn deep to work much here, the upside is wood prices are moving up because of it. People running out of propane, firewood, even some of the big mills are crying for timber.

be safe-

Do you guys need a DOT number out there? In WI, if the gross weight of a vehicle plus trailer is 10000# or over, all the vehicle registration info must be shared. I know some states are more lenient that way. It was easier to sneak around when I did not have a cdl.

I think you might be right about the truck weight registration from a legal standpoint, but I would bet that if there was an accident, regardless of whose fault it is, the GCWR would be examined closely by attorneys and insurance companies. They prolly lobbied to have it listed on the vehicle :) Not to be a snot, just sayin.

Nice load of wood btw! Snow is too durn deep to work much here, the upside is wood prices are moving up because of it. People running out of propane, firewood, even some of the big mills are crying for timber.

be safe-
we do need dot numbers out here but there are some funny rules and regulations that im not familiar enough with to tell you about them. the 10000 pound rule applys here but i believe only if you travel 50 miles outside of your home base, (shop, place of work?) If you dont have logos on your truck here no one seems to ever bother you. I have driven staight through dmv checkpoints and know one seemed to care. Not sure how accurate all that is. How much snow do you have? i log with a tractor and im in 2 1/2 feet of snow with a 4 inch crust and its been brutal on the poor thing, Its not a real big machine.

the trucks GVWR doesn't have to cover the trailers as well. When you get caught they will make you "axle out" and your rear axle is either 7k, 8k or 10k unless you have an 11 inch rear end (i don't even know if SRW fords can have them) and then its 12k. You don't have 12k on your rear axle. long long long way from it. Oklahoma doesn't make trailers worry about weight but kansas does. I know being tagged in OK they don't say a word so long as you axle it out. In kansas you have to tag the trailer for x-amount of weight and the truck x-amount and axle it. If you get in a wreck it doesn't matter what your STATE says, it matters that you axle out. You can be far "overwieght" for your tags so long as the manufactures specs are not exceeded.

BTW, don't get a tandem dual, get a triple axle single if you don't drive a dually. Pull so much nicer and don't weigh near as much empty.

Snow depth is similar here, I cant figure out how we got so much snow with it this cold all winter, it barely warms up enough to snow and then back down below zero. All kinds of cold and snow records broken, another all time cold temp here today. The logger I work for part time started using his bulldozer to plow for the processor as it couldn't make it thru the snow. I quit trying to log on my owna few months ago, it was not productive with conditions as they are. It could get real interesting when the frost starts going out of the ground, places that are plowed the frost is down 5-6'. Most of the towns around here are asking people to leave faucets run 24/7, water mains breaking daily.

What do you have behind that tractor when you log?

-dave

the trucks GVWR doesn't have to cover the trailers as well. When you get caught they will make you "axle out" and your rear axle is either 7k, 8k or 10k unless you have an 11 inch rear end (i don't even know if SRW fords can have them) and then its 12k. You don't have 12k on your rear axle. long long long way from it. Oklahoma doesn't make trailers worry about weight but kansas does. I know being tagged in OK they don't say a word so long as you axle it out. In kansas you have to tag the trailer for x-amount of weight and the truck x-amount and axle it. If you get in a wreck it doesn't matter what your STATE says, it matters that you axle out. You can be far "overwieght" for your tags so long as the manufactures specs are not exceeded.

BTW, don't get a tandem dual, get a triple axle single if you don't drive a dually. Pull so much nicer and don't weigh near as much empty.

GVWR is not the same as gross combination weight rating GCWR can be exceeded, but with risks associated to licensing, attorneys and insurance, especially if there is an incident. Can you do it? Certainly, but not without risk. Not a big deal to some.

I know some of this stuff can get pretty confusing. GVWR, GCWR, GTWR, GVW etc... It can also vary from state to state but also has federal standards built into the laws that blanket everything. What i don't get is how you'll see a 3/4 ton truck tugging a 40 foot camper down the road or a 50ft rv & those don't need CDL's. Anyways, here is a screenshot of VT's CDL regulations.

avede9uj.jpg

I believe pa is 17.5 k lbs you need to register combined . Pain in the ars. Ads big bucks to insurance premiums and you go from annual inspections to 6 month inspections . My f350 with me in it is just over 8200lbs so with my 10k lbs trailer at full load I'm illegal . It's all fun and games till the unfortunate happens or you get a trooper that knows the laws. Those fines can easily hit the thousands of dollars and lots of points on your record . Bit around me if your not running a gooseneck trailer they don't really even look at you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back