breaking her in properly

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's good. I have been crazy busy doing tons of tree removals, few prunings, cleared a few lots and stuff. Bunch of tree work. Firewood on the side and working and riding snowmobiles.

Man as much as i hate the cold, i wish we worked in the winter... I'm well past the stages of cabin fever.

That is a nice winch/tractor setup !
thank you it has served me very well. I think it may be its last year with me, it has been near bullet proof up until now but i work the poor thing pretty hard. What setup are you running in the woods?

So, what are you thinking of replacing that winch with?

I run this-

101_0144.JPG

or sometimes I drive-

101_0150.JPG

I have a farmi winch for play and a metavic log loader that lmbrkid runs, I'll have to dig for pics of the metavic, no pics of the winch, but it has not been used much.

Just checked the pa code today . Anything over a 10k trailer will require you to register your truck/ trailer combined . And you must hold a class A enforcement . Over 26k you need a cdl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just checked the pa code today . Anything over a 10k trailer will require you to register your truck/ trailer combined . And you must hold a class A enforcement . Over 26k you need a cdl

So you need a Class A endorsement on a non CDL license is what your saying? So i imagine that is a tax you just pay for, not a course you have to take to get the non cdl endorsement? That's nuts. I'm glad i spend most my road time in NH were there isn't all these technicalities.

Say lmbr... Why is it that i always see the BIG bull bars on every logging truck up north. I only see them on lumber trucks even though i see other trucks that using the same routes & highways day in day out but hauling enclosed trailers but they don't have the bull bars. It's as if only the loggers have a use for them, what is that use? Protection from roadkill, can you winch off them when stuck off road? I've always wondered..

Oh
So, what are you thinking of replacing that winch with?

I run this-

View attachment 337235

or sometimes I drive-

View attachment 337236

I have a farmi winch for play and a metavic log loader that lmbrkid runs, I'll have to dig for pics of the metavic, no pics of the winch, but it has not been used much.
oh haha the stuff you run is a little bigger. I would like to replace the tractor/winch setup with something bigger, what started as a small hobby for me is starting to become some decent income. I am thinking something in the 50 horse range, a farm tractor not a compact and a larger winch to compliment it. If I stay busy all year I think I will pull the trigger on it. I do a lot of climbing, removals around homes, thinning and small clearing stuff so a tractor is perfect for my needs. One machine to skid, load, and clean up and landscape after if nesasary.

Well, our truck did go thru a few of the cheap bumpers from pulling on it, but we usually push the truck with the forwarder so that really doesn't explain it. I know the year he bought the bull bumper the other driver hit 13 deer(not all at once), quite a bit of damage a little but at a time. The clincher was when he hit four cows that were in the middle of a state highway at 2am, came up over a hill and BOOM!

There are a lot of those bull bumpers around on regular(lightweight) trucks, but you are correct, most all the log trucks do have them.

We call those other guys 'lightweights' and maybe they don't need bull bumpers? Just to clarify that lightweight comment, log trucks can haul 98,000# in WI.

It just keeps getting worse that way. Here there are few exceptions but mostly any rig with a combined total weight over 10000# requires a US DOT number, reason being each state can define what a commercial vehicle is, and that is how WI defines a commercial vehicle, by weight. You don't need a cdl at that weight, same as your state. Commercial vehicle and commercial driver are two separate things. Also needed here is a federal permit to haul any fuel other than in the manufacturers fuel tank. There are a few exceptions, but not many.

Also required as pretrip inspections, and an annual licensed DOT inspection.

stay safe, and drive late :)

Well, our truck did go thru a few of the cheap bumpers from pulling on it, but we usually push the truck with the forwarder so that really doesn't explain it. I know the year he bought the bull bumper the other driver hit 13 deer(not all at once), quite a bit of damage a little but at a time. The clincher was when he hit four cows that were in the middle of a state highway at 2am, came up over a hill and BOOM!

Cows? Dang! Those buggers are big! Do they explode when you hit them with a semi? Those Semi Hoods can't be cheap to replace! Id probably run a bull bar to depending on my demographic..

Deer around here have become a nusance, I'm actually on eBay right now looking for a grille to fit a SUV because of a deer. That SOB just ran directly into the SUV, uggh! So aggravating. I don't understand how deer just don't get it. I mean surely they have crashed into objects in the woods while running & know it equals pain. I don't get how that doesn't compute the same when they see an object or headlights coming directly at them. You figure they would know better. Haha.. Maybe I'm over thinking it.

I always let of the fuel if I see a deer so the jake brake hits a little, that usually scares them off. I never hit a cow yet, glad for that. The truck lost a hood, both fenders, bumper, radiator and one fuel tank when he hit them. Farmer was not happy to pay the bill, but he eventually paid.

I always let of the fuel if I see a deer so the jake brake hits a little, that usually scares them off. I never hit a cow yet, glad for that. The truck lost a hood, both fenders, bumper, radiator and one fuel tank when he hit them. Farmer was not happy to pay the bill, but he eventually paid.

Man sounds like the truck got it worse than the cow! Sheesh, i would imagine the amount of damage equaled up to the cost of a decent used car.. At least the farmer coughed up the coin. I'm sure that farmer will keep better track of his livestock now. Some say ignorance is bliss, i say ignorance is expensive..

I stayed away from the truck for a few days, I guess they tore the parts off then spent a few hours with a pressure washer getting rid of cow debris and blood The trailer got swapped to the other truck, but there was cow debris and blood all over the rig.

Man sounds like the truck got it worse than the cow! Sheesh, i would imagine the amount of damage equaled up to the cost of a decent used car.. At least the farmer coughed up the coin. I'm sure that farmer will keep better track of his livestock now. Some say ignorance is bliss, i say ignorance is expensive..
If you hit my cow in my state its on you buddy. :)
We've had several lawsuits where people thought they were going to sue the pants off the big farmers and every time they have lost. If it was on a state highway the farmer should of told him shove it sue the state.

Well, that's why some of our advice to the OP is nonsense, cause our states laws dont apply in his state. In WI, if you have animals on the highway you are liable. Here is the KS animals at large law but I have no legal standing in KS, so maybe it is no tread or followed there, I am not going to argue or derail the OP's thread any further. My apologies to him.

Damages to person injured; lien. Any owner whose livestock shall run at large, in violation of K.S.A. 47-122 shall be liable to the person injured for all damages resulting therefrom, and the person so damaged shall have a lien on said livestock for the amount of such damages.

No
Well, that's why some of our advice to the OP is nonsense, cause our states laws dont apply in his state. In WI, if you have animals on the highway you are liable. Here is the KS animals at large law but I have no legal standing in KS, so maybe it is no tread or followed there, I am not going to argue or derail the OP's thread any further. My apologies to him.

Damages to person injured; lien. Any owner whose livestock shall run at large, in violation of K.S.A. 47-122 shall be liable to the person injured for all damages resulting therefrom, and the person so damaged shall have a lien on said livestock for the amount of such damages.
No apologies nesasary, this thread has sparked a very interesting conversation on rules and regulations on the road and it's amazing the contrast from one person/state to the next. It seems that pickups are a misunderstood or grey area, both by some of us and by the law. I'm going to do some reasearch on vermonts laws and see where I really stand if it is even defined hahaha

You have to be found gulity of having them at large PRIOR to someone hitting them to make that stick. Kansas is also a no-fault state and the reason the law you quote doesn't hold water is because back in the day someone sued the state when they hit a deer and it was found the state couldn't "control" the deer on "manage" and if you hit one with your vehicle it was a no-fault wreck. They then applied this to livestock as LIVESTOCK isn't "any domestic animal, other than dogs and cats, to run at large" its livestock. disscussion over.

Sorry to hijack the thread there. I'd still say the biggest problem the OP has is he drives a FORD instead of DODGE. lol

O
You have to be found gulity of having them at large PRIOR to someone hitting them to make that stick. Kansas is also a no-fault state and the reason the law you quote doesn't hold water is because back in the day someone sued the state when they hit a deer and it was found the state couldn't "control" the deer on "manage" and if you hit one with your vehicle it was a no-fault wreck. They then applied this to livestock as LIVESTOCK isn't "any domestic animal, other than dogs and cats, to run at large" its livestock. disscussion over.

Sorry to hijack the thread there. I'd still say the biggest problem the OP has is he drives a FORD instead of DODGE. lol
I'm trying to come up with a smart remark but honestly pretty hard to knock a cummins lol

Back