breaking her in properly

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jimmycrackcorn

jimmycrackcorn

ArboristSite Operative
I believe pa is 17.5 k lbs you need to register combined . Pain in the ars. Ads big bucks to insurance premiums and you go from annual inspections to 6 month inspections . My f350 with me in it is just over 8200lbs so with my 10k lbs trailer at full load I'm illegal . It's all fun and games till the unfortunate happens or you get a trooper that knows the laws. Those fines can easily hit the thousands of dollars and lots of points on your record . Bit around me if your not running a gooseneck trailer they don't really even look at you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is that 17.5k mark a trailer weight, a GCWR or GVWR? You mention your truck weight as 8.5 & your trailer at 10k which would put you @ 18.5k, 1000lb over the the mark, but you say it's legal. I'm lost for the moment.

Knobby57

Knobby57

Peeing outdoors
Is that 17.5k mark a trailer weight, a GCWR or GVWR? You mention your truck weight as 8.5 & your trailer at 10k which would put you @ 18.5k, 1000lb over the the mark, but you say it's legal. I'm lost for the moment.

Over that limit not registered combined is illegal like I stated

Knobby57

Knobby57

Peeing outdoors
I'm not registered combined . 99% of the time I'm we under the limit . If I need to haul more I take extra trips . I also have a rollback I can put 12k on the deck so that makes it easier . But there are no passing weigh stations and they are strict. Fines for marker lights out, oil leaks , tires . Straps can't have even a slight fray in them .

jimmycrackcorn

jimmycrackcorn

ArboristSite Operative
You know what's odd is, i actually picked up a cdl book last month to stuffy for the test & since I've read this thread I've been checking out different states class/weight regulations and they all are coming up the same as what that screen shot i posted have for regulations.

My interpretation of regular trucks is, as long as your not over your gvwr & gtwr your ok if your under 26k. If your over 26k or running a truck with air brakes you need a cdl. I believe that to be a federal blanket standard.

Now from state to state, each individual one might have regulations for regular motor vehicles with gvwr's under 26k where they want you to register/tax you over a certain weight once you pop a trailer on there, but do not require a CDL at that point.

Am i making any sense or am i still confused? I can understand the states the ideology, they basically impose these non cdl standards to be able to tax you for hauling heavy on there roads & can do so because they are not messing with the fed cdl laws in doing so.

firebrick43

firebrick43

Life is all about big saws
Don't forget hazmat endorsements. I live close to the border of Illinois and some farmers have been popped for have diesel fuel tanks on the back of their dually's and dually service trucks for having oxy/acetylene torches not placards and no cdl endorsement.
Something about a dually is rated over 10,000 pounds and therefore a commercial vehicle??? One guy got popped for a 5 gallon gas can.

Now if is a SRW 3500 then everything is ok or if your dually has a topper. Now you can all see why I stay out of Illinois.

I have my cdl with all endorsements(except hazmat) and it was really easy. I had hazmat but 5 years ago or so they started requiring background checks that cost 200 dollars and since I don't drive professionally I skipped it. I have a gmc 6500 and pull a 22k horse trailer with LQ. Try talking to the dmv or State police about if I need a dot number for a private non business use truck and in the process must of ask 15 people the question and got 33 answers.

jimmycrackcorn

jimmycrackcorn

ArboristSite Operative
Don't forget hazmat endorsements. I live close to the border of Illinois and some farmers have been popped for have diesel fuel tanks on the back of their dually's and dually service trucks for having oxy/acetylene torches not placards and no cdl endorsement.
Something about a dually is rated over 10,000 pounds and therefore a commercial vehicle??? One guy got popped for a 5 gallon gas can..

I have a gmc 6500 and pull a 22k horse trailer with LQ. Try talking to the dmv or State police about if I need a dot number for a private non business use truck and in the process must of ask 15 people the question and got 33 answers.

Yeah, there the endorsements too.. I was trying to keep it as understandable as i could. Lol.

As far as getting bagged for fuel tanks.. Just as you experienced yourself at the DMV, i don't think these guys know everything they say they do. When your on the side of the road with blues behind you for something minimal & the LEO is thinking of ways to give citations, i honestly think that they just go with hearsay as far as these real technical laws go. They overhear a law from a colleague that they have forgotten or were never smart enough to understand & then start writing citations based on bad info. Even if they are unsure at the time they will go with it anyways because in there authoritarian attitude, who are you to question them. Most of the time you just want to get out of there in fear that opening your mouth about it will result in receiving even more thousand dollar citations/fines so you don't question it. Only when you look into the law you realize what has happened & at that point your only choice is to fight it in court, who has the time or $$ for that. It's think it's so normal its become culture to them. I think they should have to test once a year on every single law they are expected to enforce & actually learn the meaning of probable cause. Anyways back to this guys rig..

Hey KJP- what you get for milage in that thing? Diesel or Gasser? Programmer?

kjp

ArboristSite Operative
Yeah, there the endorsements too.. I was trying to keep it as understandable as i could. Lol.

As far as getting bagged for fuel tanks.. Just as you experienced yourself at the DMV, i don't think these guys know everything they say they do. When your on the side of the road with blues behind you for something minimal & the LEO is thinking of ways to give citations, i honestly think that they just go with hearsay as far as these real technical laws go. They overhear a law from a colleague that they have forgotten or were never smart enough to understand & then start writing citations based on bad info. Even if they are unsure at the time they will go with it anyways because in there authoritarian attitude, who are you to question them. Most of the time you just want to get out of there in fear that opening your mouth about it will result in receiving even more thousand dollar citations/fines so you don't question it. Only when you look into the law you realize what has happened & at that point your only choice is to fight it in court, who has the time or $$ for that. It's think it's so normal its become culture to them. I think they should have to test once a year on every single law they are expected to enforce & actually learn the meaning of probable cause. Anyways back to this guys rig..

Hey KJP- what you get for milage in that thing? Diesel or Gasser? Programmer?
Wow all this CDL talk is making me nervous haha. It's a 6.7 diesel bone stock. I'm not sure what it gets while pulling that load but empty it's getting18-19, I'm pretty impressed for a four door long bed. 5-6 mpg better than my 6.4

firebrick43

firebrick43

Life is all about big saws
Jimmy Crack Corn, you are mostly right. Illinois is hurting very badly for money and they canned a bunch of state troopers. From my understanding is the ones they kept where based on how many tickets the trooper wrote. The courts there have backed up the troopers. In actually reading the law I could see how a police officer and judge could twist it. Another law they twisted was the ag exemption for a CDL. Most states, Illinois included has an exemption if you are hauling grain or livestock in a 100-150 mile radius of the farm and not engage in "Interstate" commerce. They have nabbed a bunch of drivers delivering grain to the local elevator stating that they are engaging in "Interstate Commerce" as the elevator is selling the grain out of state. Again this is Illinois, not indiana. The problem is that the vehicle codes are written just vague enough that the police and courts have to much leeway. Most Traffic tickets can not be tried as a jury trial, you are at the mercy of the judge.

In driving across country for another example. Many of the western states require all trucks pulling trailers to weigh in, even pickup trucks with goosenecks. They were not looking for CDL per say but trying to nab the people driving grossly overweight with a pickup/gooseneck and having brake failures going down the mountains killing people. That is the biggest problem I have with pickups and goosenecks, the new diesels will pull it, but they have problems stopping it due to lack of brake size.

Wow all this CDL talk is making me nervous haha. It's a 6.7 diesel bone stock. I'm not sure what it gets while pulling that load but empty it's getting18-19, I'm pretty impressed for a four door long bed. 5-6 mpg better than my 6.4

Did your 6.4 have the particulate filter but not the urea? Not as familar with the fords but with the dodges, when they put the particulate filter on they lost 4 mpg or so. If you would remove the filter and reprogram you got it back. Almost everyone regained the fuel economy when they started putting the SCR on the engines. Tractors and big trucks were the same way.

kjp

ArboristSite Operative
The
Jimmy Crack Corn, you are mostly right. Illinois is hurting very badly for money and they canned a bunch of state troopers. From my understanding is the ones they kept where based on how many tickets the trooper wrote. The courts there have backed up the troopers. In actually reading the law I could see how a police officer and judge could twist it. Another law they twisted was the ag exemption for a CDL. Most states, Illinois included has an exemption if you are hauling grain or livestock in a 100-150 mile radius of the farm and not engage in "Interstate" commerce. They have nabbed a bunch of drivers delivering grain to the local elevator stating that they are engaging in "Interstate Commerce" as the elevator is selling the grain out of state. Again this is Illinois, not indiana. The problem is that the vehicle codes are written just vague enough that the police and courts have to much leeway. Most Traffic tickets can not be tried as a jury trial, you are at the mercy of the judge.

In driving across country for another example. Many of the western states require all trucks pulling trailers to weigh in, even pickup trucks with goosenecks. They were not looking for CDL per say but trying to nab the people driving grossly overweight with a pickup/gooseneck and having brake failures going down the mountains killing people. That is the biggest problem I have with pickups and goosenecks, the new diesels will pull it, but they have problems stopping it due to lack of brake size.

Did your 6.4 have the particulate filter but not the urea? Not as familar with the fords but with the dodges, when they put the particulate filter on they lost 4 mpg or so. If you would remove the filter and reprogram you got it back. Almost everyone regained the fuel economy when they started putting the SCR on the engines. Tractors and big trucks were the same way.
the 6.4 has a dpf but no fluid, the 6.7 has both. I did have my 6.4 chipped and a dpf delete and did get better fuel economy but still 15-16 at the very best. I've been so impressed with this new 6.7 I decided to leave it stock

kjp

ArboristSite Operative
Snow depth is similar here, I cant figure out how we got so much snow with it this cold all winter, it barely warms up enough to snow and then back down below zero. All kinds of cold and snow records broken, another all time cold temp here today. The logger I work for part time started using his bulldozer to plow for the processor as it couldn't make it thru the snow. I quit trying to log on my owna few months ago, it was not productive with conditions as they are. It could get real interesting when the frost starts going out of the ground, places that are plowed the frost is down 5-6'. Most of the towns around here are asking people to leave faucets run 24/7, water mains breaking daily.

What do you have behind that tractor when you log?

-dave
I'm sorry probably a very dumb question but are asking me what kind of wood I'm pulling with the tractor or what kind of winch I'm running behind it.

ShaneLogs

ShaneLogs

Addicted to ArboristSite
That's good. I have been crazy busy doing tons of tree removals, few prunings, cleared a few lots and stuff. Bunch of tree work. Firewood on the side and working and riding snowmobiles.

kjp

ArboristSite Operative
misc 002.JPG misc 001.JPG wood 072.JPG misc 116.JPG wood 073.JPG
Well, I wasn't very clear. I was interested in how you get the wood out.
the winch was home made by a guy down the street from me. I cant do anywhere near what some can in a day with my little setup but it really brings in small clearing or tree removal jobs close to peoples homes cause the lack of damage to the property

jimmycrackcorn

jimmycrackcorn

ArboristSite Operative

No need to worry about a cdl... Your truck doesn't have air brakes nor have a GVWR of 26k, you don't need one. Only thing you should look into is whether or not VT has regulations for GCWR' with passenger vehicles. I don't think it does, unless there is a GCWR sticker on your door jamb i wouldn't worry about it as long as your not over your trailers GTWR. But if you want to go over that, just be realistic with your load. I nearly sardine canned a Subaru Forester once in my f 350 while tugging 14k. The Subaru has been riding his brake the whole time i was being him, you know one of those idiots that drive with two feet, he then decided to lock up the brakes on a 50mph zone with NO BLINKER because he missed his turn. Obviously had no sense of reality inside his little bubble & never thought there could be a truck & heavy trailer behind him. I laid into the brake pedal hard, blew a truck line & just barley had the time & room to squeeze by him on the shoulder. That guy almost lost his life because of his ignorance. I was soooo friggn mad, i almost stopped & yanked him out his window, but i couldnt cuz i had no brakes & couldn't stop to do so.

I'm not saying 14k is extreme but if there had been raining or snowing, foget it, id be paying for his car & medical bills at the least, probably manslaughter charges too if he had been killed. I was behind so it's automatically my fault. So I'm just saying S*** happens, so be realistic with what your trying to haul. I know that truck could probably pull that 3 cord & a small tractor if you have a bug enough trailer but trying to stop up in the snow in VT, it could be a challenge to say the least.

I'm glad you like the 6.7, i haven't heard much feedback on them. I really wish Ford would just stick with one motor for a while like Cummings & Duramax do. It's gotta be hard to train the techs efficiently when it keeps on changing.

Latest posts