breaking her in properly

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
last model year was 1996 for the 300 cubic inch 6 cyl or 4.9 they were replaced with the 4.2 v6.
my 88 has 391,740 miles on it and chugs right along with a quart of oil once a month since the rear main likes to keep everything lubed.
my truck gets 16 mpg highway if you go 55 mph. i had a f150 300 i6 5spd and it got 20 highway if you stayed out of it.

Say, speaking of those eco-boosts, any of y'all own one? Ford has been throwing them in a bunch of stuff including the Mustang & 150's. Theyre tout them to have something like 300hp & sip fuel. Are these Eco boosts just a marketing frenzy or do they actually produce power? I used to have a early 90's notchback with the typical modded 5.0. When i had it, I always just chuckled when i would overhear ppl talking about how bad a$$ there mustang is knowing it was a V6. Am i naive to still think the same with the Eco boost? Are they actually fast?
yeah they are fast heck the ecoboost tauras can rape a stock camaro v8

yeah they are fast heck the ecoboost tauras can rape a stock camaro v8

No way guy! I don't believe it... That's just not right hahaha.. Are you talking about the SHO model, i could if sworn i read something about them having twin turbos. That would make it a little more paletable. So if the taurus rapes a camaro, what does the eco boost mustang do?

The dodge manual transmission problems can be fixed for a little over $150 for the 5th gear nut set up with set screws. Some people tack welded the nut on. It's in the tail housing of the case and can be fixed in a couple hours. The 6 speeds are stronger with a bigger input shaft. The newer G56 transmission is all right but has an aluminum case and will flex and you'll kill the whole tranny pretty quick if it does. Usually happens about 800 hp or so sled pulling. 7.3 is solid. 6.0 is hit and miss. 6.4 isn't too bad if you can live with the horrible mileage. 12 valves are my favorite but with 2 kids the older trucks don't have room. I've got an 11 3500 SRW right now with 65k on it and I've had to do track bar bushings so far. Not too bad for mileage around 18 on the highway stock. I've had a couple dodges of each generation 2 fords and 1 duramax.

The dodge manual transmission problems can be fixed for a little over $150 for the 5th gear nut set up with set screws. Some people tack welded the nut on. It's in the tail housing of the case and can be fixed in a couple hours. The 6 speeds are stronger with a bigger input shaft. The newer G56 transmission is all right but has an aluminum case and will flex and you'll kill the whole tranny pretty quick if it does. Usually happens about 800 hp or so sled pulling. 7.3 is solid. 6.0 is hit and miss. 6.4 isn't too bad if you can live with the horrible mileage. 12 valves are my favorite but with 2 kids the older trucks don't have room. I've got an 11 3500 SRW right now with 65k on it and I've had to do track bar bushings so far. Not too bad for mileage around 18 on the highway stock. I've had a couple dodges of each generation 2 fords and 1 duramax.
I have heard of guys egg shaping the torque converters on dodges... I haven't actually seen one though. Whatever truck gets the job done the cheapest is how i look at it. Some guys like comfort or ride or the truck nuts or the mirrors or whatever. If it works for you then it works for you.

I doubt i ever buy a new Bentley ;)

I've had 5 autos out of 15 diesel trucks. I would be driving a manual if they'd had one like I wanted on the lot when I got this one. It was year end clearance and I couldn't be picky to get the $10k rebates.

So if the taurus rapes a camaro, what does the eco boost mustang do?

Now i could of sworn i saw an ad about a year ago for a Eco boost mustang, now that i bring it up, i can't find anything. Did ford not make it?

I've had a couple dodges of each generation 2 fords and 1 duramax.

Which of those have you the best mileage?

Now i could of sworn i saw an ad about a year ago for a Eco boost mustang, now that i bring it up, i can't find anything. Did ford not make it?

dodge always gives the best mileage without any tuning. I might eat some crow over that but i've never seen anyone out fuel mileage a stock dodge with a stock whatever.

Ohh here is the commercial that led me to believe mustangs had eco boosts. Is it just a regular 6?

93 dodge then 07 dodge. Both were modified. 93 would do 24 mpg at 65 and under. 07 would do 22 on the interstate at 75 or less.

Really? No kidding. That old bomber have the best... What did you do to it? I would assume there wasn't alot of options as far as tuners go way back then, although I've read a bit about how the fuel pumps are adjustable in some. Did you turn it down to get better mileage?

no, 300's came in everything, for quite a while. They actually had more torque than any (ford) motor until ford came up with a 460 (gas hog holy god)... the 300 6's had great lug and torque to them was their big selling point. Not a ton of power but they pulled well.
Wait a sec.The 300 six was/is a great engine but it didn't have more torque then even a 302,thats a 5.0 L to the metric generation,it did however develope it's max tor.at a lower RPM then a 302.

Wait a sec.The 300 six was/is a great engine but it didn't have more torque then even a 302,thats a 5.0 L to the metric generation,it did however develope it's max tor.at a lower RPM then a 302.
so you're going to tell me that a straight 6 doesn't put out the "real" pulling power and a v8 will? not going to happen in this life time. You have to have a 302 so wound up to do anything and a 4.9 (300/6) starts at a grand and keeps chugging.

so you're going to tell me that a straight 6 doesn't put out the "real" pulling power and a v8 will? not going to happen in this life time. You have to have a 302 so wound up to do anything and a 4.9 (300/6) starts at a grand and keeps chugging.
Didn't say any such thing.I just had this debate with a guy on another board.His claim was/is that the 300 six would out pull the 460.I gave him the numbers from a chiltons manual.What I just wrote is that a 302 makes more torque than a 300 but the 300 makes it's max torque at a lower RPM than the 302.As for needing to "have" a 302 wound out to do anything-hogwash-I've had three of them in trucks with 3.55 R/E and manual X/miss.I pulled some ungodly loads with them as well as pull starting all sorts of vehicles.I had several in cars and even had one in a rather heavy boat.It pushed that boat at 18 MPH at 2450RPM.

Really? No kidding. That old bomber have the best... What did you do to it? I would assume there wasn't alot of options as far as tuners go way back then, although I've read a bit about how the fuel pumps are adjustable in some. Did you turn it down to get better mileage?

Bigger injectors and a timing change along with AFC adjustments and some extra fuel. There was no tuners for 98 and older dodges. No computers on them. The pump was all manual adjustments.

Didn't say any such thing.I just had this debate with a guy on another board.His claim was/is that the 300 six would out pull the 460.I gave him the numbers from a chiltons manual.What I just wrote is that a 302 makes more torque than a 300 but the 300 makes it's max torque at a lower RPM than the 302.As for needing to "have" a 302 wound out to do anything-hogwash-I've had three of them in trucks with 3.55 R/E and manual X/miss.I pulled some ungodly loads with them as well as pull starting all sorts of vehicles.I had several in cars and even had one in a rather heavy boat.It pushed that boat at 18 MPH at 2450RPM.
ah, i'll agree with your point there then. +1. a 300 6 won't outpull a 460 but it'll go twice as far on the same amount of gas rofl

Bigger injectors and a timing change along with AFC adjustments and some extra fuel. There was no tuners for 98 and older dodges. No computers on them. The pump was all manual adjustments.

Dude that's really cool, no computers yet you were able to get that type of mileage. It really grinds my gears that with all the redundant technology the big three throw at these trucks & the premiums they charge, they can only get a smidge more mpg out of them compared to what you were able to do with a dinosaur & simple manual adjustment mechanics. I swear it's a conspiracy to keep fuel prices where they are at.

Dude that's really cool, no computers yet you were able to get that type of mileage. It really grinds my gears that with all the redundant technology the big three throw at these trucks & the premiums they charge, they can only get a smidge more mpg out of them compared to what you were able to do with a dinosaur & simple manual adjustment mechanics. I swear it's a conspiracy to keep fuel prices where they are at.

A guy local here has a 2 wheel drive first gen dodge set up similar with a gear vendors 2 speed as extra over drive. He can click off 30 mpg on the highway with it. There's potential in the new trucks but it won't meet epa stuff so we the end user get screwed. I still can't figure out how a truck using 1/3 more fuel can burn cleaner when you're dumping extra fuel in to burn off the particulate filter. It contaminates the oil in mine so bad I won't go the recommended 7.5k mile oil changes. After 5500-6k the oil smells like fuel and there's almost an extra quart. It's about time to start complaining since I'm 2/3 through the warranty now. It didn't seem to do it at first that I remember.

A guy local here has a 2 wheel drive first gen dodge set up similar with a gear vendors 2 speed as extra over drive. He can click off 30 mpg on the highway with it. There's potential in the new trucks but it won't meet epa stuff so we the end user get screwed. I still can't figure out how a truck using 1/3 more fuel can burn cleaner when you're dumping extra fuel in to burn off the particulate filter. It contaminates the oil in mine so bad I won't go the recommended 7.5k mile oil changes. After 5500-6k the oil smells like fuel and there's almost an extra quart. It's about time to start complaining since I'm 2/3 through the warranty now. It didn't seem to do it at first that I remember.
omg im glad someone else is baffled with the whole dpf using fuel to burn off but is better for the environment, meanwhile using more fuel to have cleaner emissions?????? Getting rid of the dpf on my 6.4 was the best thing i ever did. My friend owns it now and drove with it on for about a week before he called me up and bought my spartan from me to delete it. they put a lot of stress on the motors too with the elevated egt's

Haa, no kidding, a two speed aye? I remember having a three speed in a cutlass hot rod. It was quite a trip getting used to that coming from a 5 speed.

So what's with that ideology? More fuel to pass emissions? That is just a$$ backwards. Something needs to give, i guarantee the EPA is soon going to become something we see everyday on the streets enforcing there idiotic laws passed by pencil pushers. Pencil pushers who couldn't even tell you which is which if presented with a unlabeled gallon of diesel & gas, yet continuously pass there feel good legislation that severely impacts all of us. Like i already said, something needs to give.. Oh boy I'm starting to rant.. Sorry..

Oh yeah, btw, I'd definatley raise hell over that before your warranty runs out. You know who's going to be holding the bag when that problem breaks something big, but I'm sure you already know that.

Latest posts

Back