BREAKING NEWS!! STIHL LAYS OFF 30% OF VA BEACH EMPLOYEES

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 188535

Chainsaw-wielding middle-schooler
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is because Stihl is not selling as much equipment as they were during the pandemic when people were doing more home DIY and landscaping projects and there is some sort of supply issue.

Heard about this too the other day. And yet prices are as high as ever in my neck of the woods on Stihl products. Maybe having some decent sales or lowering msrp to move some product? That seems to be the common route that usually works to move more product.

Number of articles on the furlough stated a “massive overage of inventory” and “softening market conditions” as the key reasons, according to Stihl.

maybe, when the shutdowns were happening and folks couldn't get new equipment, people bought good used equipment and realized they don't need to spend a fortune to get firewood and do yard work. yes, I'm aware that professionals buy new equipment. also, maybe this lousy economy has people putting hiring professionals to do tree work on hold for now.

Stihl has a lot of dumb policies. Their "dealers only" and "can't ship" have to be huge contributors to their less than stellar performance. Their massive overage of inventory must be batteries bought by the green managers. It sure as heck ain't finished product. I know people waiting months or longer for IC chainsaws. I've found their tech support from Europe to be virtually useless. They seem to have people who couldn't pick a chainsaw out of a lineup. Virgina Beach and CT, OTOH, have been excellent to me and one of the reasons I'm still fond of Stihl.

From Stihl, 2013:

STIHL produces chainsaws, brushcutters and hedge trimmers in China for the Asian and international markets. The 5 millionth product produced by STIHL in Qingdao will come off the assembly line only one day after the inauguration ceremony.Oct 31, 2013

But more up to date, Stihl opened facilities in Romania in 2022 for battery powered tools, with Virginia Beach, Germany and China already producing them.

From Stihl, 2013:

STIHL produces chainsaws, brushcutters and hedge trimmers in China for the Asian and international markets. The 5 millionth product produced by STIHL in Qingdao will come off the assembly line only one day after the inauguration ceremony.Oct 31, 2013

But more up to date, Stihl opened facilities in Romania in 2022 for battery powered tools, with Virginia Beach, Germany and China already producing them.
My quote was specifically rebutting the statement that they are shuttering operations in Virginia Beach for Chinese manufacturing.

Stihl has a lot of dumb policies. Their "dealers only" and "can't ship" have to be huge contributors to their less than stellar performance.

The last figures I saw which was pre pandemic, Stihl out sold the rainbow saws (Husky and Poulan.) Historically, their policies have done pretty well for them.

Their massive overage of inventory must be batteries bought by the green managers.

Stihl is one of a select few manufacturers that build their batteries in house. The Virginia Beach facility is set up for this.

It is the same in Australia, over stocked Stihl warehouse, consumers not spending and the gentle slide into recession. A big price drop sale, especially for consumer stuff is coming in Sept, our Spring.
Eventually supply and demand will sort itself out

For a while we could not get units. Now the supply line is pretty much back.
Overpriced? check the other MAJOR manufacturers. Slow sales? Still can't keep them on the shelf here.
The units that are not abused are all still running from many years ago. Possibly too much quality.
Let the mudslinging begin.

My quote was specifically rebutting the statement that they are shuttering operations in Virginia Beach for Chinese manufacturing.
Yes it was and I apologize for getting off focus. But let's face it, Stihl is global and batteries are something that generally get built by the zillions in China for most companies. The better ones avoid Chinese cells. I have electronic equipment that cost > $20k and while it is actually built in the US or Germany, the packs are still of China origin.

I would hate to think, however, that jobs are being lost in Virginia Beach and retained in China, a country that is NOT our friend. Friends don't fling talk of a WWIII loosely.

Latest posts

Back