British columbia felling job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are finding merch wood at elevations of 6000 and 7000 feet? Around here, that's where the stunted. stuff near or at the timberline grows, and we are south of you by quite a bit. Must be a special micro-climate?

Perhaps I misunderstood?
Yes , you misunderstood, a was talking about the mountain pine beetle epidemic that started in Tweedsmuir park just off the mid coast in BC. and destroyed a great portion of the lodgepole pine in BC and has made it over the rockies and through Alberta heading east. I believe its in Washington as well as I was close to the border that one year (2008) two years I fell for a helicopter with a real nice day rate but mostly
Its called fall and burn and they fly over and see the trees turning colour or they may be red then they mark it with a GPS in the helicopter. Next they will have a tender to eligible contractors to bid and comence work on the probings, which they will hike or snowmobile where they can, following the
Garmin to the exact coordinates, and that's the plot center. The probings crew will do a concentric ground survey. One guy will compass and hip chain out 25 metres (80 ft)and then hang a ribbon and another ribbon at 50 meters (160ft) in north south east and west directions creating four pie shapes quadrants with an inner circle that would only show on the GPS program.
The probers do sweeps through each quadrant at a time
and when they find a tree the GPS shows them exactly where they are standing in the circle then they but a little pencil mark on a scaled paper of the iner and outer circle. All beetle trees
will be be marked with a paint ring or pink ribbon.
Contractor for the fall and burn will have all the average specs
to bid on and the faller will have that paperwork when he gets on site. I have just been day rated to fall for the helicopter for a few seasons and also just gone in with a helper and burn them on site other years for usually $24 and $16 for the helper. (Per tree)There was big money for a while. So no its not salvage.
They used to log it in many accessible places because they got cheap stumpage rates.

What the Hel happened in that first pic, was it blow down or a dummy faller?

Oooops...wrong quote ..right guy
Lol...OK thank you....I was thinking flat ground (cows In the medow goats on the hill) it wasn't jiving with heli falling.
Had me confused.... but then again that's not to hard..lol
I spent some time in POW and Ketchikan AK but just some Gyppo stuff, a wasn't legal to work for Columbia Helicopter.

We would say " its a "f***in' goat show

Hey WBF...I got a question for you about heli-logging. I've only done about ten years worth of it out of the fifty or so I've been working in the woods, all in the US under Skycranes and Vertols, and I was wondering how you guys in Canada did it. I was thinking that there might be some similarities but since I don't know anything about Canadian logging I could be wrong.
In big timber on cow-face ground do you guys try to keep everything in lead or just let it go where it wants to? On smaller timber is lead important?
How do you get in and out. Do they use like a Hiller or a JetRanger to ferry you guys around or do they make you pack?
How about bucking for weight? Do increases in elevation...say from sea level on up to five or six thousand feet...affect how you buck?
Do you ever get to send in 40's? Do you have to rip butt-cut 16s very often? On the big timber can you lay it out so the choker setters can bonus a log or do you let them just fend for themselves?
What's the wages up there? Do you guys bushel or work by the day? What would be a good average wage?
I'm not prying...just really curious about Canadian logging.
Oh I mised some of that...bounus a log ?lol
Yes most will send in 40' 12.5 metres with the vertol
lots of poles too,red and yellow,down to a 8" top. the bigger cedar you can scribe lightly and tape first to your break or 15'and you may still get a high grade 40' and as short as 3. 8 meter or5.5 6.4,7.3, 8,7 or 10.1 for shakes blocks.

You are finding merch wood at elevations of 6000 and 7000 feet? Around here, that's where the stunted stuff near or at the timberline grows, and we are south of you by quite a bit. Must be a special micro-climate?

Perhaps I misunderstood?
No it wouldn't have been quite that high as I remember looking at the altitude because we were flying high with this one pilot and he was flying about 7600 and we were about 1000ft above the plateaus and peaks in that area so a would say the mountain pine was as high as 5000 5500 is a lot more accurate.

How odd that you run out of trees before 6000 feet. In the North Sierras, I fell 60" Sugar-pines above 6000 feet, many Red Firs in the 40+ inch range another 1000 feet higher.

It's called latitude. 6000 feet is not a good growing elevation here. Subalpine fir, lodgepole and whitebark pine live at that elevation. He's more north than here, so it would seem that the environment would be even more harsh.

How odd that you run out of trees before 6000 feet. In the North Sierras, I fell 60" Sugar-pines above 6000 feet, many Red Firs in the 40+ inch range another 1000 feet higher.
The mountains were a lot higher back then, erosion has since brought them down a few thousand feet.

I'm truly sorry to have just said that Mr. MacKendrick sir. I have no excuse, please don't set me ablaze. :bowdown:

It's called latitude. 6000 feet is not a good growing elevation here. Subalpine fir, lodgepole and whitebark pine live at that elevation. He's more north than here, so it would seem that the environment would be even more harsh.

Your right, its was right in the Canadian Rockies 'Alpine' any higher and the snow would be there year round also I ran out of earth.. not trees lol but that 5500ft would have to be max at best.

The mountains were a lot higher back then, erosion has since brought them down a few thousand feet since.

I'm truly sorry to have just said that Mr. MacKendrick sir. I have no excuse, please don't set me ablaze. :bowdown:
:laugh: That's what I was thinking, i just got corrected rightfully so for be loose with my numbers, rethought it, corrected myself and then got pounded the other way:eek: tough crowd..lol

So because I take exception to some new guy popping in and telling us what we're doing 'wrong'...................... I'm an a-hole with 'pack mentality', and my unsubscribing from this thread means 'one down'? You sir can take a flying **** at a rolling doughnut.
Hey Eccentric, Gologit, Randy and the rest of you "Bull Of The Woods" wannabe's, how long before a NEW member is no longer considered a NEW member?....Oh and HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY everyone!...:chop:

yep the beetle is quietly destroying most of Montana, Eastern Warshington, and Idaho, not sure if its made it to Oregon or Wyoming, but it will.

As yet it hasn't made it across the cascades into Western Warshington... but time will tell.
i cut a lot of it in central or. in the early 80's.

Back