Brush and debris pile burning in cold weather?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you only knew what farmers fertilized their crops with, you'd probably not consume them. I'm guilty of that as well simply because farming is a business and as a businessman, I almost always look at the input costs. Consequently, I tend to use the least expensive fertilizers, so long as they do the job intended. Everything has to do with the bottom line.
I have a pretty good idea of what they put into it. What many do not know is that plants do not consume organic fertilizer; the only take up inorganic compounds. However, organic fertilizer breaks down into inorganic compounds, or is digested by worms and fungi, which release inorganic compounds. That is why hydroponics works; plants in a hydroponic farm do not get any organic matter in their "soil". But I think economics favors farming with organic fertilizer. After all, what else would you do with manure? (Yes, I know some set up biogas facilities on large dairy farms. But most farms do not have enough cattle in one place to make that economically viable.)

Sorry to hear about your histoplasmosis, hope it's not a bad case.
You said you're a farmer who uses DEF, high in nitrogen, have you ever raised poultry?

I never heard of histoplasmosis so I did a quick search and found some interesting maps and other info.
Maybe @Hermio can comment on the connection I'm seeing between the spore, it's thriving in certain areas, especially those high in nitrogen, the use of DEF (urea + water = 46% nitrogen) and the relatively high incidence of histoplasmosis in cultivated land.

View attachment 1162690

View attachment 1162691
I really don't have anything to add to that. I have no specific knowledge of histoplasmosis or how it is contracted.

Histoplasmosis comes from chicken manure that has gotten wet and moldy and when you move it as in cleaning a hen house, the crap releases the histo spores that you breathe in and then you contract the disease. Some people aren't impacted at all. Some people are and some people die from it. In my case it was a mild thing but once you have it, you always have it.

Why there will never be any chickens on this farm. Like I said, I like to eat chicken but it has to come from the grocery store, already butchered and packaged for consumption.

Candidly, I don't particularly like birds in general but I do have bird feeders in the yard because every living creature has to eat and up here during the winter, wild birds have a hard way to go. the one thing I really don't like about them is the fact they like to poop on my car...lol

I'd rather not but thanks for asking anyway. Lets just say I know more than I should but I won't expound on any of it. It's a 'need to know' and most people don't need to know anyway.

Fertilizer -Herbicide and pesticide application varies by state and the state controls most of it anyway. I have to be licensed by the state to use any of it. Just another way for states to glean money, ki8nd of like State income tax in a way.
I was asking @ZinTrees about his experience because he claimed to have a lot.

I have a pretty good idea of what they put into it. What many do not know is that plants do not consume organic fertilizer; the only take up inorganic compounds. However, organic fertilizer breaks down into inorganic compounds, or is digested by worms and fungi, which release inorganic compounds. That is why hydroponics works; plants in a hydroponic farm do not get any organic matter in their "soil". But I think economics favors farming with organic fertilizer. After all, what else would you do with manure? (Yes, I know some set up biogas facilities on large dairy farms. But most farms do not have enough cattle in one place to make that economically viable.)
WOW just WOW

Study Aquaponics

Never claimed to have a lot of experience, reading comprehension is too hard for you huh?

I said I know about it, not that I'm a farmer
Verbatim..........

Oh I know about a lot of the junk they use, we don't buy store bought produce hardly every anymore, and all our meat is either chicken, Qual or rabbit we grow or grass-fed beef from a local well known farm shop

Says something when farmers suit up in hazmat gear to fill their sprayers, they don't touch it but expect you and I to eat it

I am soooo depressed. I have tried 3 time in the last 2 months to get that #$%#$ pile burning. It has been pretty wet here in the NE but last several days have been warm, dry and breezy. So tried again.

The pile is almost all White Pine, branches and small bits to start with.

Got a 4" metal duct pointed into the pile, a 32cc leaf blower going full blast into it, and some old oil soaked shop rags to light it off. Got my MAPP torch and lit it off, got the blower going, and WOO HOO, what a blaze.

For about 5 minutes. As it began to die down I could get areas going good by moving the air stream, but, each gave out. I shut the blower off and it died out almost immediately.

Area Burn Ban starts on March 15, so, I guess that's it for now.
Hello,

Did you get it done before Friday when your burn ban started? We only have those here periodically when there is excessive dryness. Most folks use common sense and it is not an issue. Of course being on the highest point in the county on top the Mississippi Bluff our winds kick up quite often. This entire next 5 days will not be conducive to burning in most areas. I would not hesitate to burn in the lower areas here

There has been a few inexperienced folks posting here about the negative use of oil and tires. They of course have their misinformed opinions but those of us who have spent many decades burning brush and dozer piles know how to get the job done correctly and efficiently. You said originally you had a hoe. I understand you dug a hole and put the brush it it but that is an issue to get a draw. Does your hoe have a thumb? If it does the best thing is to pull the pieces out. If not then dig a connecting hole to the prevalent side of your normal air flow. In general at this time of the year dig on the NE side as your wind will come from the SW. Take you hoe and crush the heck out of the existing pile. It has been long enough they should snap easily. Then no matter what teh naysayers here say get you a bale of clean dry straw and soak it with used motor oil.....NOT GAS. I would then add a used tire on top but if you are afraid of the few minutes of smoke the straw bale will suffice. Get it going and start adding small pieces of the brush to the satw bale/tire. The smaller the better. Be damn careful though to have an escape route from the hole as that can be very dangerous. It will burn easily and you can either use the hoe to shift the remaining brush over or slowly do it manually being careful not to get too much and be put in harms way.

If your hoe has a thumb then NEVER get in the hole

Why you would ever dig a pit to have a fire is beyond me (unless roasting food in a pit), let alone having a single fire that you haul to......20240317_185909.jpg20240317_190135.jpg

We burn around buildings/homes all the time during burn-season, so that's got nothing to do with it.

Ole @ZinTrees has tried to insult me with name calling but experience wins out.

This was an afternoon job. It took maybe 3 hours from me starting the saw to having a Diet Pepsi. Easy peasy.

1710755503250.jpeg

Speeding is prohibited
Jaywalking is prohibited
Selling cars on Sunday is prohibited
Tossing a banana is prohibited

So how many prohibited things have ya done?
Of your list, 3 of those items are not legal in Washington State. I have done 1 of those 3 things. I would never suggest anyone else do any of them if I was trying to be helpful.

I had typed and deleted my response twice before I posted it. Not because I believe I was incorrect in my statement, but because of the reaction I expected I would get. Having read through the way the thread took off after that, I suspect it would have been better to have deleted it. Mostly because people with a need for help will read this and decide anyone(everyone) that has posted is a numbskull, and their opinion has no value. And by that, my actions have devalued the site. A virtual "nosepinching" as it were. Phew

Hello,

Did you get it done before Friday when your burn ban started? We only have those here periodically when there is excessive dryness. Most folks use common sense and it is not an issue. Of course being on the highest point in the county on top the Mississippi Bluff our winds kick up quite often. This entire next 5 days will not be conducive to burning in most areas. I would not hesitate to burn in the lower areas here

There has been a few inexperienced folks posting here about the negative use of oil and tires. They of course have their misinformed opinions but those of us who have spent many decades burning brush and dozer piles know how to get the job done correctly and efficiently. You said originally you had a hoe. I understand you dug a hole and put the brush it it but that is an issue to get a draw. Does your hoe have a thumb? If it does the best thing is to pull the pieces out. If not then dig a connecting hole to the prevalent side of your normal air flow. In general at this time of the year dig on the NE side as your wind will come from the SW. Take you hoe and crush the heck out of the existing pile. It has been long enough they should snap easily. Then no matter what teh naysayers here say get you a bale of clean dry straw and soak it with used motor oil.....NOT GAS. I would then add a used tire on top but if you are afraid of the few minutes of smoke the straw bale will suffice. Get it going and start adding small pieces of the brush to the satw bale/tire. The smaller the better. Be damn careful though to have an escape route from the hole as that can be very dangerous. It will burn easily and you can either use the hoe to shift the remaining brush over or slowly do it manually being careful not to get too much and be put in harms way.

No. The ban, at this point anyway, will end in April, so I may have all summer to give it another try. If we hit a dry spell, who knows. What gets me it is a State Wide ban due to "dry winter" is some parts of the State, but her it's been wet as can be. Oh well.

Hello,
. . .

I did not read far enough. I dug a "pit" about a foot or less deep, on the advice of the "pro" that took down 3 huge white pine between my house and the power lines. Like 20 ft from the house and with a lean. I did not feel confident enough to do it myself.

He had chipped up everything from that job and I had called him back to quote me on chipping up residue from the 4 other pines I dropped myself. He begged off and advised that I just burn it all, suggesting a small pit rimmed with rocks. Got lots of those. He also suggested the leaf blower approach to speed things up.

I see your point about it hindering air flow, and thought that myself a while back. Mechanical thumb, but I guess I can pull it all out, if need be. Was thinking of doing that anyway to put a mess of "I don't really want that in the house" firewood in the hole as "kindling" for next time.

Smoke is only a problem as there is a pet parrot in the house and they are pretty sensitive to toxins. While I can keep things buttoned up, not gonna take the chance I think.

Don't know what you mean there.

I see your point about it hindering air flow, and thought that myself a while back. Mechanical thumb, but I guess I can pull it all out, if need be.
Go back to page 1 and read my post and you will have no problem burning a pile of brush. As a certified prescribe burn manager for 35 years or so, starting fires and burning brush piles, windrows, and prescribe burns was my business.

Of your list, 3 of those items are not legal in Washington State. I have done 1 of those 3 things. I would never suggest anyone else do any of them if I was trying to be helpful.

I had typed and deleted my response twice before I posted it. Not because I believe I was incorrect in my statement, but because of the reaction I expected I would get. Having read through the way the thread took off after that, I suspect it would have been better to have deleted it. Mostly because people with a need for help will read this and decide anyone(everyone) that has posted is a numbskull, and their opinion has no value. And by that, my actions have devalued the site. A virtual "nosepinching" as it were. Phew
I have done all 4 of them.

Back