Build A Splitter $$$$$$$???????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RON58

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK, I just sat a couple hours( because I hand split a cord today and can't move) Did some scribbling and priced out almost everything I will need to put a machine together. I already have a 9 HP engine,axle,wheels,tires and most of the steel laying around the shop. All total it still cost more than just buying the TSC splitter. Just get one of them and when and if something pisses the bed replace the part with upgraded stuff. Why #### around unless just to say "I built that beast" Thoughts???

I took a homemade splitter that had a pourus metal I beam that the wedge kept ripping off of(I was literally peeling the layers of the beam off) and an old factory splitter that was laying in the weeds and put the 2 together. The homemade splitter had a 3.5 horse honda on it with a chain driven hydraulic pump that was just plain dangerous. I upgraded the pump to a haldex 11gmp, 2 stage pump and that was where I started beaking welds. Took the old "factory" built splitter that had a decent tank/beam setup that I liked with the wedge still on the front of the beam and welded that to the top of the old beam with brought my working height up to a more comfortable working height put my hydraulic system on the front of it and I am now splitting wood with a 6 second foward time and 4.5 second return and kept the 3.5 horse honda that is still on its first tank of gas from completion and split over 2 cords with it. Overall I am extremly satisfied with how it came out for being thrown together. I have a grand total of $245 in it. Will post pics in a day or so... Gotta play army this weekend and dont get home till after dark...

The reason why I am building a splitter is 1.It will be cheaper than a factory built one. 2.More knowledge for me 3. I will know how to fix something if it breaks 4. I will know the inner workings of my unit 5.It is fun to weld and assemble hydraulics 6. The best feeling in the world is when I build something and I see that it works and I know I did it and I made it the way I want it.

Unless you just want something utterly stupid, like I did, have more time and money than you know what to do with, can get pretty much everything for free and don't count anything for you're time, don't build one!!!
I tell people this all the time, no one seems to hear me!!! It was $700 just for the hoses on mine!! I got lucky, they told me it would be around $400 when I called, so the made a cash ticket with one of their customers and I got the discount, $445!!!! JUST IN HOSES!!! I have ove $2k in the one I built, got most of the metal for free, $500 for the engine, $300 for a pump, got my control valve for free, got the cylinder for free, got the hyd. res. for free and the filter assmbly for free.
I burnt up a cut off saw and two grinders, been through probably 40 pounds of rod and no idea on grinding discs!! And I still have to rebuild the push block!!!
It sounds all fine and dandy, but I can't see where it's justifiable for most people when you can go buy one for what the motor, pump and hoses will cost you!

Unless you just want something utterly stupid, like I did, have more time and money than you know what to do with, can get pretty much everything for free and don't count anything for you're time, don't build one!!!
I tell people this all the time, no one seems to hear me!!! It was $700 just for the hoses on mine!! I got lucky, they told me it would be around $400 when I called, so the made a cash ticket with one of their customers and I got the discount, $445!!!! JUST IN HOSES!!! I have ove $2k in the one I built, got most of the metal for free, $500 for the engine, $300 for a pump, got my control valve for free, got the cylinder for free, got the hyd. res. for free and the filter assmbly for free.
I burnt up a cut off saw and two grinders, been through probably 40 pounds of rod and no idea on grinding discs!! And I still have to rebuild the push block!!!
It sounds all fine and dandy, but I can't see where it's justifiable for most people when you can go buy one for what the motor, pump and hoses will cost you!

Most of the gratification comes from saying yeah I built that...

Some one was bending you over with those hose prices, If you got the bare hose in bulk then got the fittings pressed on you would have probably saved over half. A 50Lb box of 7018 here is only $70 and grinders are only $30 You might have saved a bit if you sandblasted your steel and used a oxy ace torch for your cutting.
BTW who the heck said we were "most people" :laugh: and yes we mostly do it to say I did that HAHAHA ??

Last edited:
You have to be a good "scrounger" to build cheap, our local dump [transfer station they call it now] gets all kinds of stuff dropped off. I see a few Dynamark tractors, etc. every year, Good 10 & 12 hp engines in them, free too. Nothing wrong with a vertical crankshaft to drive a hyd. pump. My last build was a hydraulic power pac to run my truck crane, the 4 hp Briggs came from the dump, somebody ran it out of oil, took me about an hour to clean the babbit off the crankshaft journal & it started right up. Surplus Center has good prices on hydraulic hose.
hydpower.jpg

Latest posts

Back