build off challange

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it is fun to do

I'm with ya there buddy. It's a blast - I suck in the competitive world but that's fine. I think it kicks ass running these crazy motors,even if I do it wrong. I'm gonna let it be fun and stay fun - that's why I dig this so much! It's a great time and I've met a great group guys along the way and made some great friends. I only look forward to what this saw hobby still has to bring to the table!

I'd like to see a chain race. . . It's cheap enough that more poor folks (like my ass) can participate. :clap:

Building work saws is cool, but we've established already that all the guys here at the last one were close enough to each other that it really didn't matter. All good saws, all good guys, all good builders.

Chains separate the wheat from the chaff. :smile2:

A chain race would be nice. A lot of people could participate with little investment. Maybe someone needs to get one of those going. A small gtg could do a chain race.

I'd like to see a chain race. . . It's cheap enough that more poor folks (like my ass) can participate. :clap:

Building work saws is cool, but we've established already that all the guys here at the last one were close enough to each other that it really didn't matter. All good saws, all good guys, all good builders.

Chains separate the wheat from the chaff. :smile2:

I think I'd rather port a saw than build a chain, you'd have less time in it :) I did one once, took me a good 8-10 hours just to get the chassis filed down and the rivets ground down. I sent it to Eric and he thinned it and filed it for me. You'd have to ask him how long it takes to make a good competitive chain but it is time consuming and tedious.

I think I'd rather port a saw than build a chain, you'd have less time in it :) I did one once, took me a good 8-10 hours just to get the chassis filed down and the rivets ground down. I sent it to Eric and he thinned it and filed it for me. You'd have to ask him how long it takes to make a good competitive chain but it is time consuming and tedious.

I got lots of time to make a chain. . . But no cash to buy a specific saw to build, that could prospectively cost me $400 or better. :)

I'd like to know where I sit against some other chains anyway, it'd be neat to know.

I got lots of time to make a chain. . . But no cash to buy a specific saw to build, that could prospectively cost me $400 or better. :)

I'd like to know where I sit against some other chains anyway, it'd be neat to know.

I understand that too! I'm not sitting on a pile of cash either:help: LOL

how would you build a chain for a saw that you never ran?

how about we trade chains on the build off saws?

They do chain races all the time. . . Usually two donated saws with brand new bars. You bring your chain and a smile.

A fast chain is a fast chain, doesn't really matter what PH it's on. :msp_wink:

They do chain races all the time. . . Usually two donated saws with brand new bars. You bring your chain and a smile.

A fast chain is a fast chain, doesn't really matter what PH it's on. :msp_wink:

so a chain filed for a 660 will work on a 260?

I'm waiting for the first strato build off. As already been said, there was little difference in the top builders for the conventional two-strokes. That's not surprising as there's been decades of work done on conventional two-strokes. I think someone used the word 'boring', kinda like, been there, done that.

There is more potential in the strato design for modification, a strato build off would open up new technology for modders to work their magic. It also places the competitors on a more equal footing of trying new ideas.

Stratos are the future of chainsaws, it is also the future of chainsaw modding.

so a chain filed for a 660 will work on a 260?

You'd probably want to set it up for the cubic inch saw your going to run it on. So it will be pre-determined before that a 6 cube saw will be running it. I've got 3-4 race chains and they are set up for each saw, but strange enough my 5 cube chain works better on my 3 cube than my 3 cube chain does. The 5 cube has a little less raker and the 3 cube handles it fine. As someone once told me, chain building is witch craft:)

Well shucks, I reckon folks should be told what DL they need, and what PH it's gonna be on. LOL

A sharp chain on a 260 might whoop on a dull chain on a 660. :smile2:

agreed

would you agree that hp and rpm make a difference in how you file a chain?

I'd you want to see who makes the best chain, you should only use one saw. Say a 372, and swap the chains for each set of cuts...

Make some kind of lever that the saw can sit on, and then when the throttle is clamped wide open with a spring clamp, you lower the lever slowly and release it as soon as the chain touches the wood.

Don't remove the saw from the lever to change the chains... this is about the only way I can see any consistency within reason... just shift the log forward to make the next cookie test.

And top off the tank every cut so the saw doesn't lean out. One or two cuts per chain.

Sure I'd agree they make a difference, probably d.g setup more than anything.

my thinking on the chain is this.

both saws using 8 pin gear

stock chain shows witch one has the most rpm

race chain shows witch one has the best package, saw and chain

trading chains may show witch saw pulls harder

thoughts?

Latest posts

Back