build off challange

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Working my butt off most of the time. Hows things up your way?

I've been busy myself. Hard to keep up with all these build offs. I might make it into the one Jeremy's putting on. I don't know if I'll be able to get into this one with tree monkey. Time is hard to come by right now.

my thinking on the chain is this.

both saws using 8 pin gear

stock chain shows witch one has the most rpm

race chain shows witch one has the best package, saw and chain

trading chains may show witch saw pulls harder

thoughts?

That'd probably be a good combo, but I'd have to be out on the saw build part. Not enough coins rolling around in my pants pocket to do it.

Y'all can knock yourselves out though.

Although, if you get any takers for the saw portion, and they didn't want to do chain, I could do one by proxy.

There won't be many guys that can participate in a race saw buildoff. A race saw takes a lot more custom fabrication, requiring equipment that most of us don't have. Then there's the fact that most of us don't know what all goes into making a good race saw. I'll watch though:)

Last edited:
I've been busy myself. Hard to keep up with all these build offs. I might make it into the one Jeremy's putting on. I don't know if I'll be able to get into this one with tree monkey. Time is hard to come by right now.

Not even started on my saw for Jeremy's build off. We still car pooling to that one?

Yeah Carl if I'm home I can haul 3 more up that way.

When do you want to do this build Scott? If it's several months out some more people might be able to join in. I know I won't be able to think about building one until after the other build off.

There won't be many guys that can participate in a race saw buildoff. A race saw takes a lot more custom fabrication, rquired equipment that most of us don't have. Then there's the fact that most of us don't know what all goes into making a good race saw. I'll watch though:)

thats how i see it too.

i can build one but it would take some time

Yeah Carl if I'm home I can haul 3 more up that way.

When do you want to do this build Scott? If it's several months out some more people might be able to join in. I know I won't be able to think about building one until after the other build off.

any time, if you want to wait till spring ill host a gtg and run the saws then.

ive never had my hands on a 390. saw will be here sometime next week. it will be done in2 weeks or less.
this puts me at a disadvantage, but i feel i can get the job done.

Ported - any chain. Aren't these basically "Stock Appearing" or "Work Saw" class rules?

In which case, it's more a 'race-off' than a 'build-off', isn't it?

i don't race so i don't know the rules.

just trying to change it up little.

What about using a 36" or 42" bar on the 390 for the build off along with the respective wood size. Really make the saw do some lugging work. It kills me to see these big ported CC saws being tested with tiny bars . :rock:

What about using a 36" or 42" bar on the 390 for the build off along with the respective wood size. Really make the saw do some lugging work. It kills me to see these big ported CC saws being tested with tiny bars . :rock:

I must agree w/ ya there!
3sec. cuts are AWESOME!!! But the real test is big wood!!
Might not work with drag saws though.

40" white oak?

I enjoy the knowledge many builders and racers have to offer. I also respect what many of them can do and how hard they've work to get to where they are. With that said I do not care for the attitudes and overly competitive nature that seems to fallow many racers, and saw racing in general. I've said this many times publicly and in private. This is a chainsaw forum not a race saw form IMHO. Lets keep things level guys. If you're bored with saws, maybe it's time to pick up a new hobby.

BTW Happy new year!!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back