Building a 390XP Monster

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks killer! The office attire covered in saw dust look was great too. You just couldn't resist a little trigger time could you?

LOL:) I had clothes laid out to take with me this morning, but left them home accidentally. So, Andre was going to have to do all the running. When we were about done, I said, "Give me that saw!". Nevermind these clothes:rock:

Brad.................should I change the sprocket on my saw to get even better performance?? What would you suggest, and where is the best place to get one??

Brad, Andre i have wotched the vid and yes that saw looks very very strong but
No disrespect and i dont like being negative but some may look at that vid and with the rest of the log looking a bit hollow,rotten and you guys not cutting the cooky all the way off may say that wood is very soft.I may be wrong (and often are) and yes test wood is hard to find and all that,just saying.

You look nice in ya work cloths Brad and what Andre no shorts.

Ok you can get stuck into me if you wish.:msp_ohmy:

Brad, Andre i have wotched the vid and yes that saw looks very very strong but
No disrespect and i dont like being negative but some may look at that vid and with the rest of the log looking a bit hollow,rotten and you guys not cutting the cooky all the way off may say that wood is very soft.I may be wrong (and often are) and yes test wood is hard to find and all that,just saying.

You look nice in ya work cloths Brad and what Andre no shorts.

Ok you can get stuck into me if you wish.:msp_ohmy:

Well you have been quite negative lately, but I guess that is to be expedited when you stick your neck out. Nevertheless if you fallowed any of my videos like the 441 VS the 576 you'd know the wood I had to waste is extremely soft basswood, one of the softest we have in our part of the world, and I stated so from the beginning. We/I was standing on a steep hillside, so yes some of the cuts will look awkward. After the dead branch the tree was hollow and was the reason we couldn't make timed cuts VS the 441, 576 and other 390. Boy was the 390 spitting carbon out the exhaust like mad.:dizzy:

In my opinion both 390's Brad did cut about the same, it's really hard to tell without timed cuts. I'll also add I feel in that wood a good running 372 would be just as fast, but that's not to say the 390 doesn't have more torque, it does!!!!!

Take that for what it is and go rub one off, I am.

Andre,i dont think i have been negative lately and i sorry you think that,yes i have been following how that tree has been becoming shorter over time and you guys do a wonderful job showing everyone your work.I know how much time work and effort goes into making vids ect,ha mate im just tellin it how i see it.
I will shut up know and go and blow some carbon.

Andre,i dont think i have been negative lately and i sorry you think that,yes i have been following how that tree has been becoming shorter over time and you guys do a wonderful job showing everyone your work.I know how much time work and effort goes into making vids ect,ha mate im just tellin it how i see it.
I will shut up know and go and blow some carbon.

You've been a bit sarcastic towards me lately, but that's OK sometimes I deserve it.

Yes sir there's not much left of that tree now, but it was a good test log while it lasted. The other downed trees near by are far too small to test a 390 in, a 346 maybe. I know of a few large tress nearby, but they're not on my property. I have plenty of firewood logs, but they really don't work so well for testing saws.;)

Cheers mate.
Here i go again i dont understand the last bit ya said.(and im not trying to be a smart a_s)

I have plenty of firewood logs, but they really don't work so well for testing saws.

I assume most of your saws are work, firewood saws wouldnt that be the best place to test um.:confused2:

Cheers mate.
Here i go again i dont understand the last bit ya said.(and im not trying to be a smart a_s)

I have plenty of firewood logs, but they really don't work so well for testing saws.

I assume most of your saws are work, firewood saws wouldnt that be the best place to test um.:confused2:

Let me clarify. Firewood in my area is for the most part very small. To be honest 50cc is more than enough, a 60cc saw is overkill most of the time.

Last edited:
Yes, that stuff is very soft. I'm certainly not used to it. Its kind of odd though. You can almost over load a saw with it more easily, because its taking such big bites, and you can really push the saw into it. I'm not sure that explains it very well, but it was definately a different feel. It certainly cuts faster, but I don't think it puts any less load on the saw. Does that make any sense?

I wish I were closer proximity-wise to you guys, some of the decent sized seasoned Ash and Cherry I'm bucking up would be nice testing media for at least the 70-class stuff you guys have been entertaining us with. And I'd have loved to see that 390 tackle the seasoned HARD locust I "played with" on Sunday.

Yes, that stuff is very soft. I'm certainly not used to it. Its kind of odd though. You can almost over load a saw with it more easily, because its taking such big bites, and you can really push the saw into it. I'm not sure that explains it very well, but it was definately a different feel. It certainly cuts faster, but I don't think it puts any less load on the saw. Does that make any sense?

ha ha ha. Here's Andy always trash talking the wood I cut(which he know's nothing about), and you guys are testing in rotten wood!! LOL LOL Thought I'd heard it all.

But ya, what you said makes sense.

ha ha ha. Here's Andy always trash talking the wood I cut(which he know's nothing about), and you guys are testing in rotten wood!! LOL LOL Thought I'd heard it all.

But ya, what you said makes sense.

LOL you see the only use I have for wood like that is cookie cutting, you guys sadly have to use it as firewood. Seriously basswood is useless, I don't even bother with it, and man does it break down fast, in a year or two it will be nothing but dust.

Last edited:
I wish I were closer proximity-wise to you guys, some of the decent sized seasoned Ash and Cherry I'm bucking up would be nice testing media for at least the 70-class stuff you guys have been entertaining us with. And I'd have loved to see that 390 tackle the seasoned HARD locust I "played with" on Sunday.

White Ash makes some of the best test wood there is, it's straight has few knots and is pretty dense, it's no Hickory or Locust but definitely solid.

Almost as though a skip chain would help...

LOL you see the only use I have for wood like that is cookie cutting, you guys sadly have to use it as firewood. Seriously basswood is useless, I don't even bother with it, and man does it break down fast, in a year or two it will be nothing but dust.

No I don't have to use rotten wood like that for firewood. One day you'll realize your wrong when you pull your head out of you ass.

Back