Building roads in wetlands

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! This is amazing.
News flash!!! Just because you can, does not make it right. Eminent domain my left hind leg. :mad:
I bet that 84 acres was less expensive than the land next too it, eh? The stinking government has made it to where people don't have to think about anything. No access? No problem, we'll take it away from your neighbor. Who probably had plans for it, but no big deal, your plans are probably more important. How would you like it if they all of a sudden decided to take your 800 yard shooting range away from you, so someone behind you with a few acres could have cheaper access?
I guess all that I can really say is; JimTimber, please don't ever consider moving to New Mexico, please. We have enough people like you moving in. Some are actually learning some manners though.

Andy

Well said. He probably wouldn't fit in around here too well, either. In fact I know he wouldn't.

We're used to people moving up here and their attitude that we're all a bunch of neanderthal, isolationist, room temperature IQ, mouth breathers who probably marry our cousins and move our lips when we read. In most cases they're wrong...but it's still irritating.

There was a guy from L.A who bought a piece of ground that cornered on mine. There was no real road access to his proposed building site but he could have easily built one. He decided not to.
He opted instead to inform me that I would be allowing him to use part of my road and that he'd cut a small access road that joined with mine to get to his property. He didn't ask, he didn't even suggest, he just flat told me what he was going to do. He also let it be known that he was no stranger to land deals and courts and getting his own way in whatever he decided to do. I didn't say much, other than no, and told him to do whatever he wanted but he wasn't coming across my place. Not then, not ever.

I'll spare you all the boring details...but after about a year of wrangling, hearings, petitions, more hearings and general aggravation, he wound up cutting his own road into his own property and not bothering me anymore. If he'd come to me in the first place and just asked I probably would have let him use my road.

He's since sold the property, with it's nice little road and nothing ever being built on it. He forgot to ask about water rights and well depth and things like that. Water is a little scarce where he wanted to build.
The new owners seem like nice people. They called me and introduced themselves and we met at the property and talked. They wanted to know where the lines were and how best to make use of the property and just basically how to be good neighbors. It was kind of refreshing. They're from New Mexico.

Last edited:
Well said. He probably wouldn't fit in around here too well, either. In fact I know he wouldn't.

We're used to people moving up here and their attitude that we're all a bunch of neanderthal, isolationist, room temperature IQ, mouth breathers who probably marry their cousins and move their lips when they read. In most cases they're wrong...but it's still irritating.

There was a guy from L.A who bought a piece of ground that cornered on mine. There was no real road access to his proposed building site but he could have easily built one. He decided not to.
He opted instead to inform me that I would be allowing him to use part of my road and that he'd cut a small access road that joined with mine to get to his property. He didn't ask, he didn't even suggest, he just flat told me what he was going to do. He also let it be known that he was no stranger to land deals and courts and getting his own way in whatever he decided to do. I didn't say much, other than no, and told him to do whatever he wanted but he wasn't coming across my place. Not then, not ever.

I'll spare you all the boring details...but after about a year of wrangling, hearings, petitions, more hearings and general aggravation, he wound up cutting his own road into his own property and not bothering me anymore. If he'd come to me in the first place and just asked I probably would have let him use my road.

He's since sold the property, with it's nice little road and nothing ever being built on it. He forgot to ask about water rights and well depth and things like that. Water is a little scarce where he wanted to build.
The new owners seem like nice people. They called me and introduced themselves and we met at the property and talked. They wanted to know where the lines were and how best to make use of the property and just basically how to be good neighbors. It was kind of refreshing. They're from New Mexico.

I'd guess they were from Southern New Mexico. Most of the folks that move here from up around Albuquerque, and Santa Fe came from LA origionally. :laugh:
I'll probably catch some flack for that one from someone in Albuquerque, but it's worth it.

Andy

Glad to hear ya got some good neighbors Bob! When my old man first bought his place back in 76, I believe maybe was 74. The neighbors were real friendly. Had built a brand new fence right on the old one just before he bought it and were aspousing how it was right on the line. Well wasn't too long the fence might be wrong! Had problems ever since. Goes to show what a lil strip of timber will do to folks. There be some punkins 30, 40, 50, maybe even some 60 inchers but the big ones aren't worth a crap cause they're wolfy. Hopefully you'll have some good neighbors well into the future.

Wes

Talked to my north neighbor today and will need to talk with a couple others, but I may be able to use an existing trail through their lots.

So nice of all you mouth breathers (funny, I never said anything bad about the people here, or anywhere else for that matter) to condemn me when I'm just trying to make use of my property.

Don't bother replying to me here, I've read enough of you too and won't be back to this thread.

Don't bother replying to me here, I've read enough of you too and won't be back to this thread.

And thus AS has succeeded in driving away another member. It's funny how message board members (and not just those here) can form so many rigid conclusions about someone based on so very little.

But oh well
Sod breaker

I just flicked through the start of this thread to refresh myself on how this hissy fit started, and thought this was kinda interesting:

I'm land locked on the other sides of my swamp, so I'd have to get a cartway easement through at least 1/4 mile of neighboring property. That's something I vehemently oppose on principle (I detest imminent domain actions of government against the individual for another's benefit).

Less than two months later the guy got all pissed off and left when other members told him that they thought his plan of playing the eminent domain card was not cool?

Talked to my north neighbor today and will need to talk with a couple others, but I may be able to use an existing trail through their lots.

So nice of all you mouth breathers (funny, I never said anything bad about the people here, or anywhere else for that matter) to condemn me when I'm just trying to make use of my property.

Hahaha. Come on Jim, we all know that you'll be logging out and slipping in here all stealthy like, and checkin' out what all us mouth breathers are saying about you. :laugh:

Andy

And thus AS has succeeded in driving away another member. It's funny how message board members (and not just those here) can form so many rigid conclusions about someone based on so very little.

But oh well
Sod breaker

Yup. Thank you, that's our job here. We listen to what anyone has to say for a while here. When they show their ass, we call em on it. They then have the choice, either ManUp or go away. Don't matter to most of us. Kinda like being tried by fire.

Andy

I just flicked through the start of this thread to refresh myself on how this hissy fit started, and thought this was kinda interesting:

Originally Posted by Jim Timber

I'm land locked on the other sides of my swamp, so I'd have to get a cartway easement through at least 1/4 mile of neighboring property. That's something I vehemently oppose on principle (I detest imminent domain actions of government against the individual for another's benefit).

Less than two months later the guy got all pissed off and left when other members told him that they thought his plan of playing the eminent domain card was not cool?

Thanks for bringing this up. I wondered what that word "vehemently" ment. I think I figured it out now though, based on the recent turn of events. It must mean not too strongly. :laugh:

Andy

But oh well
Sod breaker

You should know all about that. When you were posting in the Commercial tree care section and you got busted by the experienced guys there for running your mouth about things you knew nothing about they nailed you pretty good. And they should have.

People who have opinions will have those opinions argued with. If you can't handle that maybe the Doily Knitting and Kitten Cuddling threads might be more your speed.

First of all, you don't knit doilies. You tat them, I think. Secondly, why don't you Woman Up?

Yup, I read this thread from the beginning and it doesn't add up. I spect we'll see him in the firewood or off topic thread soon, complaining about his neighbors. Those tend to add up in pages fast.

Oh well....when all else fails, use this icon.:popcorn: Then say, "In before lock." :msp_biggrin:

First of all, you don't knit doilies. You tat them, I think. Secondly, why don't you Woman Up?

Yup, I read this thread from the beginning and it doesn't add up. I spect we'll see him in the firewood or off topic thread soon, complaining about his neighbors. Those tend to add up in pages fast.

Oh well....when all else fails, use this icon.:popcorn: Then say, "In before lock." :msp_biggrin:

Ok Patty, I'll admit to two things. 1. I'm not too good at this politically correct stuff, and 2. Women are pretty tough by nature. So go ahead and WomanUp if'n ya want to.

Andy

Hey you...I'll knit a doily if I darn well want to and any way I want to and call it anything I want and even if it's totally impossible, impractical, hideously costly, illegal, and will totally irritate everybody in the four surrounding counties I'm still gonna do it my way. So there. Pffffft. :D

The little popcorn icon is handy, though.

And, as long as I'm kvetching...Woman Up is just as bad as Man Up. I learned that in the sensitivity class the BIG TIMBER COMPANY sent me to. The correct term is "person up". So there.:msp_smile:

Person up..........Person up.................. You better smile when you say that "Pilgrim". :laugh:
Maybe I'm just more sensative than most, but I ain't gonna "PersonUp", no stinkin' way.

Andy

Latest posts

Back