Building the perfect rope bage...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobby climber

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts about how a good rope bag should be built??? The one I use is fine & all but I wish they would make one that would stand up-right on its own and not collapse as you flake your rope into it! I'm thinking about building my own and am looking for some ideas. Aside from the material, I'm thinking that if I strengthen up the sides with that stiff webbing material, it should stand upright on its own as you load it. Give me some ideas as to how you think the perfect rope bag should be built. What are some of the features you like or don't like about them? Pockets or no pockets, loops to clip beiners in or not, drain hole(s)? Be creative and think practical & I'll try to build one. Thanks for your help. HC

Last edited:
How bout just using a 5 gallon bucket? NIce sturdy sides, lids available, many colors to choose from, WATERPROOF. No telling how much rope you could actually put in it but Id guess at least 200'

all joking aside, weaver makes a stand alone bag. who made the one you are currently using?

The one I use has two side pockets that I dont use. Mine doesnt stand alone so I put me feet through the handles to keep the top open.

I'm using a CMI bag. Very soft and a PITA to fill w/rope. Trying to keep cost down. I have a family member who sews on commercial machines for a company that makes shock covers for snow machines and ATVs. Experiance, material and equipment isn't a problem. This is something that can be made at this persons home. Just looking for a better simple designe that can be made for less that what others sell it for. Okietreedude1, imagin the pic you have above with a doubled botton and webbing rim sewn around the base as well as the top for support. Maybe sew some material about 1/3 the way up from the bottom with the web straps sewn over them to help keep it stiff and maintain its shape better. This also formes a flat pocket(4) between the side web straps! Your thoughts? HC

HC,

Since material and labor is free, go for it.

What you describe doesnt sound too bad. Another bag I have is shorter that the cmi bag, stiffer and at the top rim, there is a lighter weight fabric that has a drawstring in the top. The bottom portion is stiff allowing it to stand up and the top portion is flimsy to accomodate extra rope that wont fit in the bottom half. The straps stop at the intersection of the two materials.

I too have 2 cmi bags and like I said, i step through the handles to hold it up and open.

Okie, I know you can step through the handles of the CMI bags, most guys can, but........I take a size 13 1/2 boot!!! Hence my delema! Whats the make & manufacturer of the shorter stiffer bag you have? HC

Ya Jumper, they are great bags, I kept one after I got out and was using it to hold duck decoys for a while. Now I just use it for laundry! HC

If you already own a floppy rope bag you could make it stiff by doing the following. Find a used 5 gallon plastic pail. You then cut the bottom out of the pail, cut the handle off, and make a single cut up the side. Once this is done you have a couple of decisions to make,if you would like to leave the bag stiff, cut the pail to the height of the bag, and your done. If you would like the bag to take up less space you could leave the pail as tall as possible, install it in the bag, flake the rope in, when done filling the bag, pull out plastic liner, and your done. One advantage of a soft side bag is that they will collapse to take up less space when you need.

I believe I have a good idea of a decent rope bag. Basic, simple, able to maintain its form when loading rope & functional. Just waiting on some prices of material and then I'll get started. I'll have something made and post some pics here once completed. Realistically, about a month. Thanks for your input so far. HC

Buckets and milk crates break when hit. I only used a bucket once for a rigging line and the 3 dollar bucket got smashed and the boss blew a head gasket.

I like my rope bag because I like to drop branches on it with out too much crap tangling my rope. Or drop logs on it.

Target sells a perfect rope bag .Look in the camping section and get a collapsible bag that will stand up firm. Made from mesh with 3 metal rings to hold it open. Will easily hold 200' bull rope or 2 150 1/2" lines with room to spare.
All this for only.... $10

It's easier than coiling , no tangles.
The bag keeps the rope contained and
no limbs will land on, and tangle up the rope.
I especially like the rope bag when
i need to pull up the whole rope, to reset it over a limb.
Just have groundie tie bag on and presto ...much quicker

okietreedude1 said:
Plus a rope bag is quicker to store the rope. Id bet I could stuff one twice as fast as I can coil one.
like to see that

hobby climber said:
Anyone have any thoughts about how a good rope bag should be built??? The one I use is fine & all but I wish they would make one that would stand up-right on its own and not collapse as you flake your rope into it! I'm thinking about building my own and am looking for some ideas. Aside from the material, I'm thinking that if I strengthen up the sides with that stiff webbing material, it should stand upright on its own as you load it. Give me some ideas as to how you think the perfect rope bag should be built. What are some of the features you like or don't like about them? Pockets or no pockets, loops to clip beiners in or not, drain hole(s)? Be creative and think practical & I'll try to build one. Thanks for your help. HC
i think folks at buckingham and fresco have some ideas on this subject

Back