Building the perfect rope bage...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great ! I can't wait to try it out.

(I'm pretty tough on my gear, so we'll get some excellent field testing done here)

The bags look good !

Be Safe

top stitching

Hobby:

Looks like you put a cord inside some fabric and sewed it along the bottom.
Bet that not only looks professional, but also holds its shape better cause it firms things up at that seam.

I'd suggest that you do a 'topstitch' on the vertical seam going up the side. It holds the bag shape just a little firmer and a smidgeon wider open. Also, it is a second stitch that has to give out from abrasion/sunlight before the inside stitching can be stressed.

This is fairly easy to do.

What type of fabric did you use?

Sometimes a fabric or webbing will look good off the production line. But after it gets worn or dirty it doesn't work that well.

Yours could be just fine. But, keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't soften before ordering a full roll.

Smokechase II, your right , I did use a cord to rib/stiffen the bottom. Its the fabric that is sewn around it that makes the shape & not the cord! The material used is polyester with a waterproof backing. The backing also helps with the stiffens. The bags have a double layered bottom, as are the sides on the bottom half! This makes the bag bottom heavy & adds to its stability. You mentioned a vertical 'top stitch', (like a bluejeans pant-leg seam), I thought about that and decided against it. You would have to see the bag to understand why. There is more to building this bag than slapping some fabric together & crossing your fingers, alot of thought had been put into it! The vertical stitch is simple & clean with a second stitch along side of it but spaced apart so it would not weaken the fabric. Because the bag is made from polyester, if it ever gets dirty, just wipe it down with a wet cloth! The all blue 16" bags I'm making now are the final product & all the bugs have been worked out, IMO. I am not deaf to other ideas but I believe I do have a good product with this bag. If anyone is interested in a bag, just PM me and we'll go from there. Thanks. HC

Last edited:
Hey, I just had another idea. Instead on using a standard drawstring on the bag, what if I used a pull-cord for a drawstring? It would still work the same but with an added advantage! So now, if your saws pull-cord ever breaks in the field, you need only to walk over to the Rope Bag for a quick replacement !!! ;) Your thoughts? HC

no maybe

Then pretty soon one side of the bag would be the clutch side cover, the other side the starter side cover, a 20" bar a stiffner.

Actually, that is OK. File that thought under " the at least I'd know where to find it" column.

Well my rope bag that i got from Hobby Climber has been holding up good.

The bags are very roomy. I have 150' of 5/8 bull rope with room to spare for more.

Got a couple of pics.

Rope bag..
After I'm done trimming a tree, theres saw dust sap and anything else that you could amagin that could coagulat in a tree in my rope. If I put it in a bag, Its just going to mess up the bag and If theres moisture and the rope is just sitting in the bag, I might get a unexpected rotten spot and a trip to the hospital. i do check my equipment before going up the tree but theres that slight chance that it can happen.

Anything that protects your rope from chemicals, sharp tools or snags is a good investment! Taking proper care for your rope is just as important as caring for your tool. More so IMO because your life depends on it!!!

A rope bag allows you to flake you line into the bag hand over hand so when it comes out...there are no kinks or knots. With coiling your rope, your prone to a lot more twists, kinks and the occasional knot!

Keeping your rope safe & protected when NOT in use will help ensure that your rope keeps you protected when it IS in use! ;) HC

hobby climber said:
A rope bag allows you to flake you line into the bag hand over hand so when it comes out...there are no kinks or knots. With coiling your rope, your prone to a lot more twists, kinks and the occasional knot!

I get a real kick watching some guys actually coil the rope into a bag instead of just stuffing it in.

Hobby Climber has some nice new bags that he's working on. Made out of mesh with see thru sides. Looks pretty nice! HC how bout some pics and/or prices.

Sure, here ya go:

BTW, this one was one of my earlier prototypes but it'll give you an idea on how it looks like. The ones I now make work very well! I'm still trying to get cought up on orders of the other (all fabric) bags. Once thats done, I'll start kicking out the new mesh bags... likely after Christmas or in the new year!

I haven't figured out a price for the new mesh bags yet, I'll have to sit down & work out my costs first. Everything in time ya know.

Enjoy the pic. HC

Last edited:
Here's a pic with different ropes in it. Again, this bag is NOT the final product! HC

Last edited:
JimL said:
Why do you guys use a bag as opposed to just coiling it up?

you can deploy the rope/bag from the tree, and it deploys out rapidly every time, without tangling on limbs or snags. Coiling looks nice and all but in reality is a waste of time, rope bags are so much faster to deploy and to store the rope into. You simply flake/stuff the rope into the bag. To deploy, you tie off one end of the rope (limb building whatever) and toss the bag down.

for tree climbing i use a BLACKHAWK tactical rope bag, with leg straps. It fastens to your leg, below the waist.

taKrapbag.jpg

Last edited:
SRT-Tech,

After reviering your bio, I now can see why you like your Blackhawk tac-bag so much, its a nice piece of kit! I took a more practical approach in developing my rope bags. I wanted one that was durable, stands upright on its own and reasonably priced. Since nothing like that existed without breaking the bank, I decided to try & make my own.

Originaly, i started to make them for myself but after posting some pic...requests to buy them never stopped. I've sold between 30 to 40 of them so far,(since June this year) and have around 23 on back order. There is only one person that makes them for me at this time,(The bag Lady). Likely by next fall if sales are still doing well I may expand into something bigger but for now I just want to keep it on a small scale.

I started developing a new Mesh Bag designe about a month ago and as of this week am satisfied with the final product. IMHO, this bag is gonna kick butt! Once I get cought up with all the bags on back order, I'll start making up a bunch of the mesh bags and have them available early in the New Year!

Below are some pics of the all fabric bags that seem to be quite popular. They sell for $25.00(Canadian funds) + pack envelope + shipping. It works out to $39.25 total to your door for one OR $67.48 for two in the same envelope. BTW, the price of shipping sucks with anything being sent outside of Canada but from the feedback I'm getting tells me the bags are worth every penny!

PM me if anyone is interested with name address & Phone Number and we'll go from there. Just expect a bit of a delay, (likely in the new yeat) untill I get cought up with the others!!! Enjoy the pics. HC

Last edited:
thanks HC!, the leg bag has worked very well for my recreational pursuits, especially rappelling.

how much for one of your bags? got em in orange? i will have xmas $$ to spend in the new year!

:cheers:

They sell for $25.00(Canadian funds) + pack envelope + shipping. It works out to $39.25 total to your door for one OR $67.48 for two in the same envelope. BTW, the price of shipping sucks with anything being sent outside of Canada but from the feedback I'm getting tells me the bags are worth every penny!

PM me once your ready to order and I'll put you on the list. First come first served ya know. ;)
I'll have a price for the mesh bags in the new year, it'll be reasonable! HC

HC
How about making one that is a hybrid of the solid and the mesh bags together.
I'd like one that has a solid lower half and mesh upper.
Like taking the mesh bag and adding a layer of solid material around the lower half, in effect creating an extra pocket space.

HC,
Both bags have behaved quite well; I'd recommend them to anyone looking. The one carries my length of XTC Fire with room for a shorter length of Poison Hi-Vy and the other a 9/16" lowering line. They do occasionally get to falling over if you aren't flaking dead center and catch an edge, but no worse than some rope bags I've used and way better than many.

Take a look at the Barnel bags (they had them at TCIA in Baltimore) at:

http://www.barnel.com/leapingfrog.html

The spiral green stripe covers a steel spring that keeps the bag open, upright and very taut. This was a very nice feature. The bottom is a hard polypropylene plate with holes in it (to let moisture out and dirt in?) - not a good idea for isolating a rope from damage. The sides are a coated PVC. There is a D handle at the top and bottom on one side as these were designed for scooping up leaves and garden waste, I believe. They also come with a shoulder strap/pad, which would be nice for the heavier ropes if hauling them from the back yard...
The Barnel rep at the booth mentioned that a lot of folks were asking him if it was intended to be a rope bag.
Thanks again for the nice bags,
--Pigwot

Back