building winch system , advice needed ;)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could set it up almost like a flat bed tow truck, get a decent size winch and leave it mounted up front. And put some hooks so you can use change of directions on the sides. That's how I would set it up. Then you can pull from sides and rear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For starters I wouldn't rig it the way the guy in the video does. I would think that would be hard on the cable long term.
I have a 10k winch with synthetic rope on my Jeep, it's a Smittybuilt, 549 delivered from Amizon Prime (free shipping).
The winch can be run wireless or wired and it's advertised as waterproof.
You can get a nice HF ATV 3500# winch for not much money too. (http://www.harborfreight.com/3500-l...-with-automatic-load-holding-brake-61383.html)
If you want to rig it like the guy in the video, I would get a piece of cable/rope that I could mount one end to the truck and hook the winch cable to the other end. This would put all the wear on the piece of cable, when it's ruined just replace the short piece. Just my .02
I agree with laff113 in that I would mount it in the bed and use snatch blocks to pull from either side.
Maybe cut the logs to 8' and load from the rear like an oil rig truck?
Keep us posted, you know how we love pics.
Dave

I'm with these guys. Mount it at the front then use a snatch block to pull from the side. You might check out Harbor Freight for a winch. I got a 12k for $299 and picked up a wireless remote for just a little more. I got a snatch block from Tractor Supply. Good luck.

I would 2nd the Harbor freight winch, but go as big as you want to spend. I got the 3500 lb on the back of my quad. The cycle times are lot slower than the more expensive winches. So if you are doing a lot at once, I would get one with a better cycling time.

I can't complain about it, just put on this summer and only used a handfull of times. Plenty for my 800 Polaris tho.

here is from the 3500 lb manual.....

Duty Cycle Rating
5% (45 sec at Max Rated Load;
14 min, 15 sec Rest

Looks like cycle times are all about the same. 45 sec on, 14 min 15 sec off. So, the bigger, the better, not maxing out load on every pull. Not sure what kind of logs you are hauling tho.......

i used a trailer set up for hauling logs. basically 4 stantions over top of main frame. winch mounted to center under the bed.this allowed loading from either side. i made hinges for side poles to double as ramps. then as mentioned a snatch block on middle poles to cable over top of load to pull up logs. if straight pulling you can only load single layer. by ramping higher and cabling over top for the pull, you can achieve a second layer of logs. obviously depending on weight and diam. and load capacity. just things to think about....:D

Harbor Freight winches are cheap, but they have a VERY LOW duty cycle, so it you are winching very much as a time, they won't take it. Spending more money for a Warn will get you a LOT better winch with a decent duty cycle.

I agree, put the winch behind the cab and use a snatch block for parbuckleing. I sometimes winch logs on my trailer that way, and it works good.

SR

I want this system as its enough and I can't weld. For cut wood I have something for behind tractor. With this I can move larger longs (not for fire wood, but for milling) thx tips. I.ll keep you ppl informed [emoji6]

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

Tried today with my tirfor , slow but went easy :)

93738.jpg

I'm gonna bump this.

I have a winch on the back of my home made skidder. Standard valves.

I have a 12v DC actuated spool.

Now the big question and help. Is there a diy kit or anything to help with me to make it wireless?

A remote and receiver with some secondary switching to energize the heavy 12v is all I need.

I'm tempted to buy a cheap throw away electric 12k#winch from Harbor, and see what they use, and return.

My setup is rugged. 3000# hydraulic pump off the crank drives the winch hydraulic motor, and chain/sprocket reduction after that. I've bent this 1ton frame several times.

:) just wish it was remote for those 200ft wind ups...

Sent from my s-off'ed m7 with cm11!

Latest posts

Back