Busted 385xp what do i need

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boredrob

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Local excavator brought a busted 385xp (ran over it" still runs. What all is needed and what all models parts will fit.
20220506_130727.jpg20220506_130736.jpg

Muffler definitely. The piece on the side in around the clutch is ruined too . (Or is that the actual crankcase? May well be) What is that called. Looks like the front bar stud broke that piece. What handle/ body part will fit? 390 395?

I know 372 doesn't. I have a few of those and 2 288 and nothing is even similar

Just for info I have rebuilt several saws. Not super well versed in saws but not clueless Mostly engine parts. And I own an automotive garage. Around here you see 440 and an occasional 660 but 70cc is about the tops. 440 and 372 is just about what everyone uses. We have probably 10 372. 272 etc. So I am curious as to what saws use similar parts. I was hoping it was a bigger 372 and I'd use one of the cheap holz saws for a donor but when he dropped the saw off I knew that plan was no good. Lol

I service several truck/ tractor for the client and have done a few saw fixes for him. If the saw isn't worth fixing that's fine with him too, I'm just pricing things now. The rest of the saw looks decent and it's low hours too. But I think it may be scrap. I didn't have time to really look much

Husqvarna 385 and 390, Jonsered 2186 and 2188, Redmax GZ9000 are your list of parts donors- although there are some issues trying to fit Jonsered handle wraps to Husqvarna tanks and vice versa, same with chain brake flags and the knee joint/activation bars.

The squished saw might be a better parts donor than a rebuild, especially if the bar stud pulled through the case.

The piece under the shiny oiler cover is cracked. Pretty bad. If that's the crankcase rather than a piece that bolts on then it's likely junk. The owner will just buy another if it's much wrong.
I wasnt there when it was dropped off and I glanced at it for 30 seconds. And part of that 30 seconds was posting my original post to find out what parts saws would work. I have a 390 or 394 or maybe even 294 or so. I can't remember. have to see which it is.

He is hell on saws and they are disposable to him. Lol. He doesn't use them much. I was actually shocked the saw is so nice...

I think there are as many bad parts as good parts on it.
Front of the gas tank looks broken
Cylinder
Crankcase
Muffler
Top handle
Brake handle and linkage

That’s what I can see. About $500 for oem motor parts and gas tank and $75 for an AM half wrap, brake handle and linkage (if available), and muffler

Cylinder
Crankcase
Muffler
Top handle
Brake handle and linkage

That’s what I can see. About $500 for oem motor parts and gas tank and $75 for an AM half wrap, brake handle and linkage (if available), and muffler
I don't see any damage to the tank and the cylinder looks runnable to me, but outside of that I'd agree with your list.

The bar stud is likely in the oil tank. Just an interference fit from the inside out
OP says it is cracked under the bar plate- so just guessing a bit dislodged from the case as I assume the powerhead was wearing a bar when run over, popped the front one and they undid the nut of the back one to remove the buckled bar.
But hey only a guess- you never know, maybe a track cleat shore the nut off the front one and pushed it in to the tank.

Cylinder
Crankcase
Muffler
Top handle
Brake handle and linkage

That’s what I can see. About $500 for oem motor parts and $75 for an AM half wrap, brake handle and linkage (if available), and muffler

Brake is good. Will work fine. Not pretty but not actually busted. Gas tank is also good. That's mud in the picture.

How long would it take to melt down without those fins on the cylinder? He and my dad say it started and runs fine and the brake works. If it gets into rebuild he will just buy another saw I believe

I say it's parts now. Doubtful he fix it. Being who it is, I'll recommend parting it since the crankcase is split. I had hoped there was piece bolted into the crank case but from the pictures online there isn't. That's enough to junk it imo

OP says it is cracked under the bar plate- so just guessing a bit dislodged from the case as I assume the powerhead was wearing a bar when run over, popped the front one and they undid the nut of the back one to remove the buckled bar.
But hey only a guess- you never know, maybe a track cleat shore the nut off the front one and pushed it in to the tank.
Great guess. Sounds like maybe familiar.

Indeed a track cleat caught the front stud. Ill get more pictures today. And probably see the owner. What's a decent price for the saw with the busted crankcase and cylinder fins broke. Runs fine. Plastic is actually nice too. No side cover though. I'm guessing it was completly trashed

Yep I agree, just making a point that the bar studs aren’t like a Stihl where if they got “pulled out”, it would destroy a chunk of the case. I couldn’t see the broken part on that side that he was referring to, so the damage is more than a bar stud repair. If there’s a crack under there, certainly it needs the case half replaced rather than the possibility that it needed a stripped bar stud thread repair.

Op, a couple months ago a worn but running 385 sold on here for $325 with nearly new top covers. Yours has more value as a parts saw than it does as a runner, but I wouldn’t pay more than $100 for it due to the number of parts that are actually bad

Yep I agree, just making a point that the bar studs aren’t like a Stihl where if they got “pulled out”, it would destroy a chunk of the case. I couldn’t see the broken part on that side that he was referring to, so the damage is more than a bar stud repair. If there’s a crack under there, certainly it needs the case half replaced rather than the possibility that it needed a stripped bar stud thread repair.

Op, a couple months ago a worn but running 385 sold on here for $325 with nearly new top covers. Yours has more value as a parts saw than it does as a runner, but I wouldn’t pay more than $100 for it due to the number of parts that are actually bad
20220507_092946.jpg

Big big Crack. Lol. I haven't seen the owner yet. I think it's scrap though. Plastic and a tank.

I did remove the mud. Lol

Yeah na, she is a fubar saw.
One of those ones you take to a dealer, get it back with a docket saying "uneconomical repair" .
It becomes a random parts donor- could get a nice chain catcher, bucking spike- maybe a clutch and a few other bits, but most the major components are toast.
Not many saws ever come back from a trip under the track of an excavator.

Back