Buying a 441cm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

confused8122

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So i think I've decided to buy a new saw. I am pretty set on a 441cm, preferably wrap version. I know how you all feel about supporting my local dealer, but I am not thrilled with any of my 3 local dealers. 1 I can see from my house, and I bought my first saw from them. But the way they treat me when I go in, I refuse to even walk in the door anymore. I feel like a inconvenience to them when I go in looking for parts or new chain. Ie, ready to spend. One other dealer is more of a tractor store, and can't seem to order the right parts, or get them in a timely matter. My third dealer I have been in twice, first time I was looking for new limiter caps, they refused to order them and started claiming large epa fines for messing with them. I decided to try them again, and this time the counter guy was very willing to talk, give prices, made me feel better about spending money with him.
He looked up prices for me, and though they were higher than I was hoping, they are within dsrp. And no problems ordering wrap model, an extra $60.

So my questions are,
To those that have a 441cm, I have no real use for wrap handle, and freebies with that are just a bonus, cool to have. Is it worth the extra $60 for these features that I would probably be just as happy without?

And second question,
Browsing a popular auction site, I can find supposedly brand new non wrap versions for $200 less than I can get locally. Knowing that I don't care to support my local dealers, what do you think of buying the online one? $200 is alot to save, almost enough to send it out for porting. Any thoughts?

Nick

Get the RCM (wrap version) the stiffer AV, high output oiler and larger clutch cover along with the double spikes is well worth it. It would be cheaper to go this way and take the wrap handle off and sell on eBay then put a standard handle on. The online saws are tempting but I have always been scared to go that way

Steve

I wish i would have got the upgrade. I didn't think needed it either. First thing I found out was I had to get the other dawg. Didn't like the feel with the single as it is a real aggressive bite with a full chiesel chain on it. Then as people found out I had a bigger saw, I have been falling bigger trees and the wrap handle would have been real nice for that. Also as I have been doing bigger trees I found it easier to noodle them up smaller before using the splitter and the clutch cover isn't big enough to clear the noodles. So I would suggest the upgrade and if you want I would trade handles:msp_biggrin:

As far as buying off the net I wouldn't be comfortable making that big of a purchase without a dealer there to stand behind any little thing that may come up. I had them throw in a free chain and then when I had a problem the first time out they took care of it no questions asked and replace the chain and sprocket.

Thanks, that's my biggest worry is warranty and dealer support. Though I don't put much faith in my dealer, I know that something wrong would be fixed. Then again, if I end up modifying it, warranty is out the window any way.

So with three supposedly new saws on a major auction site, all going for $40 to $70 cheaper than my dealer priced it, I think it's gonna be worth the extra to buy locally. Tax will make it close to 150 higher, but worth the peace of mind. And if I walk in with cash, maybe he can sweeten the deal a little bit.
Oh well, now I wait and see what the tax man refunds me.

Pretty sure I'll get the wrap model, I don't think I've ever seen a full wrap saw, let alone used one, so I am not sure how I feel about the handle. But the other stuff that comes with it I know I want. Not need, just want. It will come down to how much money I can gather, I am hoping to have it by the end of February, still a ways off, but won't have cash untill then.

And, who knows, the dealer might not like me anymore. I'm in no way a regular customer there, only been in twice, including Saturday, when I stopped in, looked around and asked a few questions.
Later that day...... http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/news/story.aspx?id=850321
I don't have pics, so it wasn't me.

I ordered a full wrap 441 last week. Dealer said three to four weeks to get it in.

I would not order a new saw on the internet. If your asking the question then you too know it's prob not a good idea.

Any Husky dealers that you'd trust to give good service?

Haven't looked into how many are around. One that I know of, and have heard some good things, nothing bad. My one experience there was not too bad, but not great either. Stopped to get a vent and a chain for a jonsered i was working on. Lady at the counter couldn't figure out what I needed as far as vent. Tech walking buy stopped and listened, came back in half a minute with the part. Trying to get a chain, was even worse. Asked for specific pitch, gauge, and dl count. She says, thats an odd combination, what is it for. I tell her the saw, she says they only come. 325, I say I'm certain I know what I need. After some convincing, she agrees to get me chain in what I want. I was happy enough, until I realized it was safety chain, and too late to return, and I needed to use it. So, I think they are out. I don't want to argue every time I want a new chain, and order by size, rather than saw.
Haven't looked much more into husky. I don't want a brand argument, but I am pretty happy with the stihls that I have had. And I am pretty stuck on a 441cm, ...
Though if anybody way up north in Michigan can recommend a good dealer, i'd be happy to try them out. And I mean way up north Michigan, marquette.
Nick

I would not order a new saw on the internet. If your asking the question then you too know it's prob not a good idea.

Yup, pretty sure I knew the answer, but knowing answers doesn't stop me from dreaming. Or fantasizing, maybe somebody would've given me the name of a seller, buy at half price and warranty still works. And it wouldn't be stolen. Yup, I already knew the answer to buying on the Internet.

Husky Dealers?

Haven't looked into how many are around. One that I know of, and have heard some good things, nothing bad. My one experience there was not too bad, but not great either...
I am pretty happy with the stihls that I have had. And I am pretty stuck on a 441cm, ...
Though if anybody way up north in Michigan can recommend a good dealer, i'd be happy to try them out.

Well, I guess it was worth asking the question. I like your choice of the 441cm, which is what I would have bought if I could have justified new when I picked up a used 440 a couple of weeks ago. In the long run, after I get through fixing this and that, a new 441 wouldn't have cost much more.

Latest posts

Back