Buying a new saw for serious firewood cutting!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
find out from that dealer if he wants to sell alot of saws, I think he could do a lot of sales if he is willing to ship them out, I would take one at that price plus shipping, and I am sure a lot of others would also

:agree2: For that price I would buy one...

My local Stihl dealer is running a special on the MS 362 right now. With a 16" bar and chain, I can get a MS 362 for $349.99. Unless I am badly mistaken, I think this saw usually sells for over $600. Does this deal sound too good to be true or is this a normal sale price? Am I missing something here or should I go buy this saw immediately?

I'm with everybody who says that price is too good to be true. If I ran into that price, legit, on a 362 I'd buy it, wouldn't be able to help it.

Jack

O.k, I had to read it again. 349.00 for a 362? I'll send you a fifty dollar finders fee plus another fifty for shipping and handling. Let me know if your dealer needs to move more cause I could move a bunch for that price.:popcorn:

Like I said, I went to the dealer the other day and looked at the saw and that is the price he quoted me. I didn't know anything about a 362 at that time so I assumed that it was from Stihl's cheaper line of saws. Once I looked at the Stihl website today and realized how much a 362 normally costs, I called back to make sure and he said that $349.99 is the price for a 362. Part of the reason why I posted is that I asked you guys b/c I thought maybe I was mistaking the dealer's saw for a cheaper one, but that is the only 362 that Stihl makes. I will be going to buy one Monday afternoon, so unless the sales manager made some ridiculous mistake, I will let you guys know. The dealer is in Hamilton, TX. Don't buy all of the saws before I get there!

Wolf, here in Central TX the trees don't usually get very big, but I do run into a lot of live oaks with trunks that are 20+ inches across. Right now, I have to either use my buddy's bigger saw (which is only a Rancher 455) if it will cut it or just pass it up and cut everything that is smaller on the tree. I do not prefer to cut such a large trunk because it is a lot of extra work on me, the saws, and the splitter, but then again, it has tons of firewood in it!

You just have to ask yourself why the dealer is selling a popular new model for $200 under his cost.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the $349 saw is a MS290.

It wouldn't surprise me, either. That's about the price of a MS290 (16") here.
But if that's a clergy discount on the 362, then I'm going back to seminary. :greenchainsaw:

30+cords of wood I wouldnt cut with any thing less than 70cc if I had to do it in one saw but even at that is a very tall order. I will do 40 cords this year and some milling as well but couldnt do it with one saw!

I agree 30 cords of wood is a lot of timber to be cutting. Myself I think I would worry about beating up on just one saw. Better make sure your older one is tuned up so you can swap back and forth. That 16 bar would get old bening over all day aswell.

Well I hope you get that 362, And if you do we like pics here on AS. So no pics didn't happen please post pics of new saw . For what it's worth I paid $500 for my 361 with 18"B&C just a little over a month ago , and that was a new saw. At the price you are looking at I would buy two and just swap back and forth from week to week.

Beefie

Usually when something is too good to be true, it is. The only thing that I can imagine is that the dealer has made some sort of mistake. But if they will sell me a 362 at that price, I am going to snatch it up. I may find out that I was given a price for a different saw. He said that his price for a MS260 Pro was 509.99, which seems about right. It doesn't make any sense that he could sell a bigger saw at a cheaper price, but that is what he told me. I didn't mean to spark some sort of debate. I thought that I must have been missing something since I didn't know much about buying a new saw, but apparently the dealer is either crazy or made a mistake. I will find out which one it is tomorrow.:greenchainsaw:

If that price is right on the 362 then I say buy it. I'll think that you'll find that he made a mistake in the pricing or you made a mistake about what you thought you heard. I hope you get it for that price but I doubt if you will.

If the 362 doesn't come through then get a 372XP and a 346XP. A one saw plan of about 60cc will work for a guy cutting his own firewood but for cutting that much wood you really need two saws. You could do it with one saw but two would make it a lot easier. The time you save will pay for the saws.

If I can't get the 362 at that price, then I will probably go with the 346xp since I can't afford a saw that is bigger than 50cc. If I cashflow a lot of money this year with the firewood business, then I may get a bigger saw. I already have a backup saw and my friend that cuts firewood with me has an old John Deere saw and a new Rancher 455. That ought to be sufficient for a part-time operation.

I was wondering what I could do to make a 346xp (or any saw for that matter) cut as efficiently as possible. I don't want to do anything that would hurt its reliability, but what can I do to increase power and what about chains? Is it really dangerous to use a high-kickback chain if you are experienced in using a saw? Will a high-kickback chain bog the motor badly since it cuts more aggressively?

Well I hope you get that 362, And if you do we like pics here on AS. So no pics didn't happen please post pics of new saw . For what it's worth I paid $500 for my 361 with 18"B&C just a little over a month ago , and that was a new saw. At the price you are looking at I would buy two and just swap back and forth from week to week.

Beefie

Yeah you got a good deal. I paid ~580 for mine a month ago.

If I can't get the 362 at that price, then I will probably go with the 346xp since I can't afford a saw that is bigger than 50cc. If I cashflow a lot of money this year with the firewood business, then I may get a bigger saw. I already have a backup saw and my friend that cuts firewood with me has an old John Deere saw and a new Rancher 455. That ought to be sufficient for a part-time operation.

I was wondering what I could do to make a 346xp (or any saw for that matter) cut as efficiently as possible. I don't want to do anything that would hurt its reliability, but what can I do to increase power and what about chains? Is it really dangerous to use a high-kickback chain if you are experienced in using a saw? Will a high-kickback chain bog the motor badly since it cuts more aggressively?

I would look at a 365 before I would a 346 for the cutting you describe. The 365 is a great all around firewood saw at a good price:) I also recommend using full chisel non safety chain for any amount of cutting ( if the wood is clean) and semi chisel non safety for and dirty or skidded wood.

I use 2 saws , ms361 with a 25" bar , and a craftsman pro 42cc 18" bar , which is actually made by shindiawa .
I probably do 60 cords a year , all tree's are felled and bucked with the ms361 full chisel chain , all limbs 8" or smaller I use the much lighter 42cc chain saw. the 361 in CT will set you back about 600+ craftsman pro $259. local makes my chains for 30 bucks , remember these larger chain saws our no joke were chaps and a safety helmet , steel toe boots and good gloves.

remember these larger chain saws our no joke were chaps and a safety helmet , steel toe boots and good gloves.

:agree2::agree2: Only takes a minute to put on the chaps. Added bonus with them on is they take the abuse from the abrasive bark. Your pants will last longer:) The helmet is a no brainer... No pun intended. Not only are you protected but it is really conveinent to have your muffs attached. You can flip them out of the way when you don't want them on.

Back