Buying a new saw for serious firewood cutting!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like I said, I went to the dealer the other day and looked at the saw and that is the price he quoted me. I didn't know anything about a 362 at that time so I assumed that it was from Stihl's cheaper line of saws. Once I looked at the Stihl website today and realized how much a 362 normally costs, I called back to make sure and he said that $349.99 is the price for a 362. Part of the reason why I posted is that I asked you guys b/c I thought maybe I was mistaking the dealer's saw for a cheaper one, but that is the only 362 that Stihl makes. I will be going to buy one Monday afternoon, so unless the sales manager made some ridiculous mistake, I will let you guys know. The dealer is in Hamilton, TX. Don't buy all of the saws before I get there!

Who is the dealer in Hamilton? Used the Dealer locarer on the Stihl site and could not locate them. Want to call about a 362 this morning.

Hal

I just talked with Lawson Implement in Hamilton. THe 362 with 18" bar is $659.99. That is the one he had in stock.

Might want to look at one of the saws being sold in the Tradin' Post. Might be able to get hold of a good 60 or 70 cc saw for not too much money.

Hal

Wolf, Lawson Implement is the dealer that I spoke to. Since he told you the price for a 362 is 659, apparently I was misquoted on the price. It didn't make any sense, but I couldn't help but be hopeful! I will go by today and find out which saw I was quoted the 349 price on. Probabaly the MS 290 as some had suspected since they are about the same size saw.

Wolf, Lawson Implement is the dealer that I spoke to. Since he told you the price for a 362 is 659, apparently I was misquoted on the price. It didn't make any sense, but I couldn't help but be hopeful! I will go by today and find out which saw I was quoted the 349 price on. Probabaly the MS 290 as some had suspected since they are about the same size saw.

You might ask if they have any they took in on trade. There might be a good buy in one of those.

290 is not a bad saw. Much like the 455.

Hal

I went by the local dealer and spoke to the guy who quoted me the $349 price. He apologized and said that he had made a mistake and quoted me a price on a MS 290 with a 16" bar. So no, there isn't some weird black hole in Texas where chainsaws magically cost half price... but it sure did get my blood pumping!

Anyways, I have to make a decision on either MS 260 Pro or a 346XP. I like that the XP is a newer edition and has a little more power, but the closest place that sells it is a hardware store. I am not really sure how great the service would be there and I assume they probably ship the saws off to get fixed, whereas I already know my Stihl dealer has great service and fixes saws in-house. The closest saw shop that sells Husqvarna is 70 miles away whereas my Stihl dealer is only 12 miles. I am going to be clearing some dead oak trees off a rancher's land in June, so I need to make a decision soon. If you were in my situation, which saw would you choose? Also, do these saws have enough power to run an 18" bar with a chisel chain through hardwood or should I step down to a 16" bar?

I went by the local dealer and spoke to the guy who quoted me the $349 price. He apologized and said that he had made a mistake and quoted me a price on a MS 290 with a 16" bar. So no, there isn't some weird black hole in Texas where chainsaws magically cost half price... but it sure did get my blood pumping!

Anyways, I have to make a decision on either MS 260 Pro or a 346XP. I like that the XP is a newer edition and has a little more power, but the closest place that sells it is a hardware store. I am not really sure how great the service would be there and I assume they probably ship the saws off to get fixed, whereas I already know my Stihl dealer has great service and fixes saws in-house. The closest saw shop that sells Husqvarna is 70 miles away whereas my Stihl dealer is only 12 miles. I am going to be clearing some dead oak trees off a rancher's land in June, so I need to make a decision soon. If you were in my situation, which saw would you choose? Also, do these saws have enough power to run an 18" bar with a chisel chain through hardwood or should I step down to a 16" bar?
2" will only make a difference to your wife. It won't affect your saw enough for you to notice. So I would get the bigger bar. Remember, you won't usually be cutting along the full length of the bar most of the time. If you do you should get a bigger bar anyway.

If your saw being gone for a week or two would be a problem, then go with the local dealer. You will find that little pearl of wisdom hundreds of times on this forum. Service is a major factor, especially if you use the saw for business. However, just because a dealer is close doesn't mean they're good. My closest Husky dealer is a real jerk. I'd vote for Obama before I'd spend a penny with him. I bought my saw from a dealer in Fl and had it shipped to Reno. I can take the saw to the Husky dealer 30 miles away if I need service. I'd ship it back to FL before I gave it to the guy here in Reno to work on.

In that case and if your shoting for 30 cords ms 390 65cc!

The plan is to get a 50cc saw and get a bigger saw later if I make the cashflow I need. Then I would have a good combo in the field. But as for now, a bigger saw is simply too much money. I am stretching my budget to buy a $520 saw already. If the tree is too big for me to cut, I will just have to pass it up until I can afford a bigger saw. Besides, I really like how light the MS 260 Pro is. I think I am going with the Stihl... just wish they had already come out with the new edition.

If I thought the dealer intentionally gave me the wrong price more than once just to get me to come to the store, I'd not spend a dime there. If it was an honest mistake I'd give him another chance.
I really enjoy my 346xp. Can't compare it to a MS260, never ran one

With a small saw you have a long road ahead of you cutting 30-40 cord a year. As someone else suggested you would be better off finding a used pro saw in the 70cc range. You will not regret it.

I bought small to start and now wish I had my $ back. I picked up my used MS-440 for $375 to give you an idea.

Just go buy an older, good shape 044 with a 20" bar on it and tear it up! You'll likely spend 3-5 but it will always be worth that for ever if you maintain it well. Depreciation factor 0%.

You might want to take a few minutes and look over and compare the MS 310 or MS 390 saws. Not "pro" saws, ok. They don't lend themselves to modification well - beyond the muffler, again ok. They will easily run bars out to 20" or longer. The saws last. My MS 310 is more than 10 years old and runs very well, cuts well and is dependable. The 260 is a great saw But, as several have said, it is small for what you want to do.

Don't get hung up on having a "pro" saw right off the bat. Get one that is in your price range that can do the job you are looking to do day in and day out.

If you would like, I am just down the road in Killeen. I have several saws that you can see run and compare, if that would help.

Hal

For the amount and type of firewood your cutting I also think you would be much better served with buying your larger saw first. Look at the 290/310/390 if your on a budget. They are more than capable of handling the task at hand. The 390 would be right behind the 362 in performance. We've owned a 310 and they are a excellent firewood saw capable of handling a 20" bar in oak. They really do well with an 18" bar. See if the dealer has any used 036 or 038's in good shape. The 038 super's and magII's are firewood hogs, built like a tank and will last.

Go get yourself like the others have stated, a 310 or 390, we cut alot of hardwood for firewood, and have used 310,361,360 all the way up till this winter till we broke down and got ourselves a 460, those 300 saws will do the job just fine, wont be the fastest, but quite honestly we never thought about another bigger saw until we need to pull a 28" bar, if it wasn't for the bigger bar being needed we would still just run the smaller saws

Yeah, I see the point that you guys are making. I am considering the 391 as an alternative. I have only cut firewood to sell for one season. Before that I only cut for personal use. I could see how it makes sense to go bigger when cutting in these quantities. I just just kind of fell in love with the 260 in the store. The ergonomics of that saw are phenomenal and I could just imagine myself cutting all day long with it because it is so light. One more question will help me decide: What are the pros and cons of getting a saw with a .325 chain instead of a 3/8? If I go with the 260 should I only get it with a 3/8 chain?

Wolf, thanks for the generous offer. I live in Evant (an hour from Killeen), so I might have to take you up on that if I can't make a decision otherwise.

Yeah, I see the point that you guys are making. I am considering the 391 as an alternative. I have only cut firewood to sell for one season. Before that I only cut for personal use. I could see how it makes sense to go bigger when cutting in these quantities. I just just kind of fell in love with the 260 in the store. The ergonomics of that saw are phenomenal and I could just imagine myself cutting all day long with it because it is so light. One more question will help me decide: What are the pros and cons of getting a saw with a .325 chain instead of a 3/8? If I go with the 260 should I only get it with a 3/8 chain?

Wolf, thanks for the generous offer. I live in Evant (an hour from Killeen), so I might have to take you up on that if I can't make a decision otherwise.

Light weight doesnt help you when cutting firewood....now hear me out...

yes when moving it from cut to cut it may be lighter, BUT...

a heavier saw will do some of the work for you, so in theory you should be less tired when your done at the end of the day...

Pro's of 3/8's chain....CHEAPER....
Pro's of .325 chain....better mached to a stock saws performance in the 3.0 cu. in. and less category...

With all this being said...I would go back to the original choice of the 362, I havent read the whole thread so I dont know what happened that you have changed your mind....

MS 362, 2nd greatest chainsaw ever produced (so far)....

1st greatest saw ever....MS 361

The reason that I changed my mind about a 362 is that I originally thought I could get it for an insanely cheap price, but that turned out not to be the case. I sure wish I could get the 362, but there is about a $150 price difference and I just don't think I could stretch for that one. Also, I probably overstated things when I said I wanted to occasionally run a 24" bar. I doubt I would want to mess with too many trees that require over a 20" bar because it is so ridiculous to try to move a 2ft log of live oak (extremely heavy wood) that is more than 30" in diameter. I cut all of my firewood with 16" and 18" bars last year, so I think a 18" or 20" bar would be sufficient for most situations.

check out the trading post section of this site . there always seems to be some great deals on saws . on page 4 is a new MS 361 for $550 !
happy hunting
MD

The reason that I changed my mind about a 362 is that I originally thought I could get it for an insanely cheap price, but that turned out not to be the case. I sure wish I could get the 362, but there is about a $150 price difference and I just don't think I could stretch for that one. Also, I probably overstated things when I said I wanted to occasionally run a 24" bar. I doubt I would want to mess with too many trees that require over a 20" bar because it is so ridiculous to try to move a 2ft log of live oak (extremely heavy wood) that is more than 30" in diameter. I cut all of my firewood with 16" and 18" bars last year, so I think a 18" or 20" bar would be sufficient for most situations.

Check out my sig , you will see I have all the saws that have been talked about. My 260 started out wearing a 18" bar with 3/8" chain , but I did not like this combo, went down to a 16" bar and made a world of difference. I use the 260 Pro more for trees under 8" in dia, and for all the limbing. The 361 is my newest saw, and has turned in to my go to saw for the most part. They are an impressive saw, I think you would be happy with the 362. I see cash flow is not there so I would say 391 would be a good replacement. The 044 is my big saw that gets the job done. It will do what ever I ask of it, but you will feal it at the end of the day. I won't even talk about the 090G that i am working on.

Beefie

The craziest thing just happened... I talked to my wife about it and she said, "Well, if we are going to spend that much money, it is best for you to get the bigger one (362) so that it will be able to do everything you need it to and you won't need to replace it down the road." (She doesn't know about CAD:D) I was shocked! You've got to understand that my wife likes to pinch a penny! She understands that I am trying to create another form of income for our family that works for me while still being a full-time pastor. I can't just go out and get a part-time job at Walmart or something because I have to be available to our church when they need me and I have to keep reasonable office hours. Cutting firewood may not be the most profitable venture ever, but I did make enough profit at it last year and I already have a start on my customer base.

With all of that said, I am getting the 362. You guys are right about getting the bigger saw... I just didn't want to spend the money. That saw is going to pay for itself because my productivity will be much better. I really appreciate you guys helping a newbie like me make the right decision on such a big purchase. I think I am going to go with the 20" bar and a full chisel chain. Does that sound about right to you guys? Is there any significant difference between the different types "yellow chains" that Stihl offers? I will be cutting almost exclusively hardwood (live oak and mesquite mostly) and most landowners will only let me cut trees that have recently died.

Latest posts

Back