Buying a new saw for serious firewood cutting!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Green tie strap means Stihl "low kickback" chain.

RSC = full-chisel, yellow tie strap
RSC3 = full-chisel, green tie strap, low kickback

RMC = semi-chisel, yellow tie strap
RMC3 = semi-chisel, green tie strap, low kickback

I told my dealer that I'd buy a 361 if he swaps out the low kickback chain for regular yellow chain. When I got the saw home form the shop, I noticed that it still had RSC3 (green) chain on it. The dealer apologized and gave me a free RSC (yellow) chain and told me I could keep the green chain.

Well, if you guys think it is best to run 50:1 then I will. I heard from quite a few people that the 50:1 rating is so that the saw burns less oil and is thus more "environmentally friendly." I didn't think it could hurt.

TreePointer, you are right. I checked the part # on my receipt and he did in fact sell me the regular low-kickback chain. I will be doing the same thing that you did. I do have to say that the low-kickback chain cut pretty darn well, but I want to see what the RMC will do. I am going to give him the full part # so that he can't mess it up this time.:buttkick:

Well, if you guys think it is best to run 50:1 then I will. I heard from quite a few people that the 50:1 rating is so that the saw burns less oil and is thus more "environmentally friendly." I didn't think it could hurt.

TreePointer, you are right. I checked the part # on my receipt and he did in fact sell me the regular low-kickback chain. I will be doing the same thing that you did. I do have to say that the low-kickback chain cut pretty darn well, but I want to see what the RMC will do. I am going to give him the full part # so that he can't mess it up this time.:buttkick:

is this the same "Salesman" that had never run one of them "Pro Saws" before? or was that a different thread?

if so, I bet he can still screw it up...lol:popcorn:

:agree2:

lol, Two years after the local John Deere dealer switched to Stihl, I'm was still teaching their parts department how to find things in their Stihl catalog.

TXTreeSurgeon, note that some dealers are reluctant to let saws go out their doors without a low kickback/safety chain on them--even on pro saws. Regarding low kickback chain, although I don't like RMC3 in .325, I agree that RSC3 in 3/8 pitch is pretty good.

Last edited:
TXTree . If you need money you would make more money mowing grass in suburbia than cutting firewood. Im in PA where it gets really cold for a long time and firewood is not worth it. There are better ways to make money with less backache. Cut grass , hang drywall, install electronic dog fences build decks remodel houses ,install lawn sprinklers , wash windows etc. Find your niche and stick with it. Making firewood for profit with a chainsaw will break your back and wreck your saw. Unless you have big funds to invest in expensive equipment and have a network of loggers and tree services, 1 chainsaw and a lot of motivation is going to leave you broke and beaten in the end. There are smarter ways to make money. Selling firewood for a profit without a huge network and equipment is just plain stupid.

Last edited:
Glenn, I do have a access to lots of trees to cut from landowners with trees that they need cut for a variety of reasons. In some situations, I am paid to do the arbory (is that the right word?) work and then I get to keep the logs to make firewood and then sell the firewood. I already cut 3-4 cords of wood each year for my own use to save money on my gas bill and just because I like a fire, so I would need all of this equipment anyways, although if I weren't selling I probably wouldn't buy as expensive of equipment. Some of the equipment that I use such as trucks, trailers, and the splitter are owned by my friend/business partner who was already selling firewood.

I appreciate your advice, but I have to disagree with you about wrecking your equipment when selling firewood. If the equipment is properly maintained, it will last and the income from the business will fix/replace equipment as necessary... that is how I bought this saw. I started with a 40cc Husqvarna saw that was thrown in a trash pile after Hurricane Katrina and took $16 to refurbish. If I ever don't make the kind of cashflow that I need to justify the business, then I can just stop, keep the equipment because I need it anyways, and find something else to do.

I am trying to get into the grass-cutting business, but there is a lot of competition in all of the local towns. I already have the equipment (John Deere, of course) for that as well because I have to keep my own 5 acres cut. I know that there is usually better money in cutting grass, but it is a tough market to get into here in Central TX, whereas there is a huge demand for firewood. I know that selling firewood isn't the best money, but it is the best opportunity to work for myself on my own time in the market that I am in. You have a good point about looking for other types of work, but the ultimate deciding factor for me is that I really enjoy cutting firewood.

Glenn, I do have a access to lots of trees to cut from landowners with trees that they need cut for a variety of reasons. In some situations, I am paid to do the arbory (is that the right word?) work and then I get to keep the logs to make firewood and then sell the firewood. I already cut 3-4 cords of wood each year for my own use to save money on my gas bill and just because I like a fire, so I would need all of this equipment anyways, although if I weren't selling I probably wouldn't buy as expensive of equipment. Some of the equipment that I use such as trucks, trailers, and the splitter are owned by my friend/business partner who was already selling firewood.

I appreciate your advice, but I have to disagree with you about wrecking your equipment when selling firewood. If the equipment is properly maintained, it will last and the income from the business will fix/replace equipment as necessary... that is how I bought this saw. I started with a 40cc Husqvarna saw that was thrown in a trash pile after Hurricane Katrina and took $16 to refurbish. If I ever don't make the kind of cashflow that I need to justify the business, then I can just stop, keep the equipment because I need it anyways, and find something else to do.

I am trying to get into the grass-cutting business, but there is a lot of competition in all of the local towns. I already have the equipment (John Deere, of course) for that as well because I have to keep my own 5 acres cut. I know that there is usually better money in cutting grass, but it is a tough market to get into here in Central TX, whereas there is a huge demand for firewood. I know that selling firewood isn't the best money, but it is the best opportunity to work for myself on my own time in the market that I am in. You have a good point about looking for other types of work, but the ultimate deciding factor for me is that I really enjoy cutting firewood.

You all in now, have fun and goforit!

By the way, that 40cc saw is stilling running (although it takes a lot of tlc) and it is my backup saw if I get my saw stuck in a tree or am in a pinch to make a few cuts.

By the way, that 40cc saw is stilling running (although it takes a lot of tlc) and it is my backup saw if I get my saw stuck in a tree or am in a pinch to make a few cuts.

Get some wedges and use them when there weight involed its much quicker and will save your bar. back up saws are for sissys! lol

Yup, they are usually set as lean as possible from the factory (EPA BS), I have yet to see a 362 that I had to remove the limiters to get them to run though, so just make sure your H & L are always to the left against the stops, now dont get crazy with your screw driver, but gently check them...:clap:

Back