Buying a saddle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a B'ham traverse an I really like the sliding D's .I guess i have just got used to it now but it was a bit arkward at first. A friend has a comet...I dont think it performs up to his expectations.
Definatly less twisting pressure with my traverse than with a fixed biner rig IMHO.

A friend has a comet...I dont think it performs up to his expectations.
I just remembered that he has tweeked and played around with the slidin setup on his!!!

Last edited:
Sliding D's

I've been using a B'ham Traverse for the past 3 years-my first saddle, and i wouldn't use another one, it's not showing many signs of wear along the sliding D strap and i think it's definately a good option to have in the tree. I also like the wide back support of B'ham saddles and the bosun seat.

I have the Versatile and use the rollers with the Petzl carabiners. IMHO it works great. None of the pain and spinal wrenching I had with my old buttstrap Weaver. I have two sliders on the strap, but only use one unless I have a second lifeline for getting hard to reach places. I think maybe my shirt got caught once, but it was no big deal, just shift the other way for a second and it comes out. The only time I use the fixed attachment points is when attaching my doubled ascenders for footlocking, or choking off a sling below my cut on a spar. I can't fathom going to any other saddle arrangement.

Mike,
Im confused, you state that you dislike sliding dees, but you climb in a butterfly saddle? Does this not function exactly the same as a sliding dee set up?
You are going to use chain to replace the strap? Why ?
Chain is heavy and when you slack the system the links flop around with as much potential to pinch your skin or clothing when reloaded.
i use a butterfly(un-modified) and it works just fine, i do not have problems centering at all.

You could try a spreader snap between the two round rings, but this would only give one option for attachment

This is the first sliding D saddle I have owned. After about a day and a half, I secured a piece of utility cord to stop most of the sliding.
That sliding is the only thing I don't like about the saddle.
I noticed almost everyone who has one of these saddles ends up modifying the strap.
I just don't like the extra work required to stay straight in a saddle with a sliding D. I guess it's suposed to make turning easier, but I haven't noticed that, just that it's a little more work to re-center and stay centered.
Perhaps I just need to give it more time, I don't know.

Any other comments on the Versitile

Originally posted by Bradley
I have the Versatile and use the rollers with the Petzl carabiners. IMHO it works great. None of the pain and spinal wrenching I had with my old buttstrap Weaver. I have two sliders on the strap, but only use one unless I have a second lifeline for getting hard to reach places. I think maybe my shirt got caught once, but it was no big deal, just shift the other way for a second and it comes out. The only time I use the fixed attachment points is when attaching my doubled ascenders for footlocking, or choking off a sling below my cut on a spar. I can't fathom going to any other saddle arrangement.

Thanks Brad.
Yeh I am thinking of a versitile as my next harness!!
Any one else using ? what do you think?

I just bought the new pro series and it`s well built.
I have the bosun and the leg straps for it.
I haven`t received the belt yet but I like what I have so far.
I tried hanging off a hook in the basement to get the feel of the leg straps and they were really comfortable.
I also tried the rolling D and it worked nicely but I`m anxious to get the belt and test the entire saddle in a tree.

I asked the local Vermeer dealer to order a Pro Versatile Bosun to try on. Last visit, they only had a handful of arborist gear hanging on the wall. I don't like buying stuff until I can be sure it fits.

How well do HDP rollers slide past the biner pockets on the Versatile?

It seems the purpose of the modular approach would be if you were in between sizes on either the upper or lower unit. Say, you wanted a large belt and an XL batten seat, they could be switched. The result is a better fitting product that matches the myriad shapes of climbers bodies.

This feature is too advanced a concept for shoe manufacturers: I sometimes wish a slightly larger unit was available for my bigger left foot. I may go so far as to insert it in my mouth by suggesting that shoe dealers also need a smack up side the head for failing to offer mixed-size pairs. It is a little known fact that shoe store backrooms are filled with countless shoeboxes containing both whole and half-size pairs leftover from surreptitious, fit-conscious shoe buyers. It would be interesting to see how the ladies lingerie industry handles the issue. I especially appreciate the tolerance of the Arboristsite system operators that allows switching to a second, and even a third topic in a single paragraph by civilly-disobedient tree-surfers.

Some people were hacksawing the d rings off the Traverse saddle, and replacing them with HDP rollers on a William biner. I heard a lower cost option was available without the rings for this application. Is this true? How is the leather version? Do the sizes 'run' large?

The Sierra Moreno modular series allows suspenders to be slid onto the chassis. Does the Arbor Pro series allow a structural shoulder strap (ansi compliant)? The pic seems to show integral suspender attachment points, but the available suspenders don't appear to be of the fall arrest type. The advantage would be a usable harness for bucket work. I'm surprised this option wasn't exploited in this new design. It is difficult to see how the upper & lower halves of the harness mate up in the catalog photos.

The current choice for a fall arrest harness seems to be the Petzl V2 bod. Will Petzl come up with a sliding d style saddle in response to the arborist market? They have been moving nicely in our direction. This combination would be quite the ticket.

I had to gamble on the leg strap size, Sherrill didn`t have a method to size the leg straps but I ordered large leg straps to go with a large belt.
My leg is about 23.5" in girth at the top.
I can lengthen the straps plenty to allow for winter clothing and I still have a couple of inches to tighten if needed.
They`re a probably a little on the long side for my leg but I think I might be between a medium and a large.
I won`t know for certain how the leg straps attach to the belt until I get to look at it, there are straps on the leg harness which appear to attach to the belt.
The HDP rollers slide past the loops with ease.

I have the leather version and like it better than the nylon one. True, it is a little heavier, but wears longer and has more support in the belt. The HDP rollers ride on the bottom of the strap so they don't hit the tie in points. The only problem I have is that some times it is easy to sideload the biners so I watch them pretty good. I use Petzl Spirit non-locking bentgate biners in the slots on the belt because they are keylocks. Work great for hanging a saw from.

Not sure what you mean, my Pro model is leather, at least the strap that the HDP roller rides on is leather.
I don`t have the body belt yet.

Last edited:
My versatile saddle is made of black suede with red nylon. It is heavier than the full nylon model but tougher and more supportive. The belt and hard seat are covered in the suede.

what saddles are most of you using?

also, what buck strap do you prefer? and what is the advantage of a split tail system?

The biggestthing about split tail is that you dont need to untie to recrotch.

I use 30 ft peice of climbing line for my flip line.

My saddel is a Master, but I'm probably going to a butterfly or a full body in the near future.

paul
why 30 a foot flip line ( just seams way long)? how do you attach it? did you splice a snap? do you use a cam or prussik?

I`m using the Pro series Versatile, safety lanyard and carry an extra 8 in case I drop one :D along with a few biners but my rope climbing is primarily recreation right now.
I`m not qualified to comment on the split tail.

Old style Karl Kummerlin (sp?) basic saddle. For a flip line, I'm using the 4'-7' adjustable made with Blue Streak from Sherrill's. I used to use the 3 strand lanyard, but I like the Blue Streak much better. Lots of times I'll carry 2 up with me, especially on removals.

I consider the flip line to be a secondary TIP, not a scare strap. I can move 15 ft away from it, or flip it on a limb over my head. Most of it is daisychained up on a biner on my saddle, and i run it on a Grillon on a biner on the lower left loop of the saddle.

Lot'sa biners, an extra split tail for DBL crotching, extra micro-pulley light rigging pullies, maybe an eight, but I usualy use a munter on a biner. My ascenders for if I need to go back up a long pitch...lotsa jingly stuff. some slings...

Oh and my Zubat!

Latest posts

Back