buying new saw help please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

confused

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Im looking at purchasing a new saw for myself. The only saw i have ever had the pleasure of using was my fathers ole McCulloch 610 pro. Now as to the year i have no idea. It is mostly metal and HEAVY! I love the saw though, it has a 16" bar on it and boy does the thing rip. I spent sometime looking at saws online and have really no idea which manufacturer to buy and what size would be comparable. Really i would like something with more power but less weight. Something that could very easily handle a 24"-28" bar. Any suggestions would be extremely appreciated.

Before you buy, check out the Stihls. You will have to go to a shop . Stihls are not allowed to be sold online. They are a com. saw & will handle your bar & chain size.

I personally would recommend an 044 or 046 in the Stihl and a 365 or a 372XP in a Husky. These will be your best saws that will handle that big a bar. Recommend getting a smaller bar to cut up some smaller limbs though.:blob2:

I agree with Sonny. For a general purpose, all-around saw I love the Stihls. The models with an ODD number are geared torwards homeowners, and are not as tough. The models with EVEN numbers have better air-filtration systems, better rings, etc. and will hold up for years under commercial use. For a general purpose ground saw, I would look at the Stihl 024 or 026. For a homeowner looking at occassional use, the 029/039 might suffice, unless you are a stickler for heavy duty equipment. If I had to choose between those three, I would grab the 026. It will pull a 20" bar forever. If you really need a longer bar, look at the 044. More money, but it is indestructable and will last you a lifetime if properly maintained.
:blob1:

If you want something that will "easily handle up to a 28" bar than I'd consider a Stihl 066 Mangum. It's heavy but has an awesome power to weight ratio.

For your smaller pruning and trimming jobs than I'd get a second saw and that would be a Makita DCS401 (Dolmar Sachs). With those 2 saws you could do it all.

If you want a "one size fits all" saw than look at a Stihl 044, 046, or Husky 372XP. I'd also recommend a Stihl 026 but a 28" bar might be just outside it's capability. It could definately do a 24" bar and is the "sweet spot" compromise between power and weight for most standard tasks.

Get two!

An 026 for 95% of your work,
and an 066 for the big stuff,

or

An 026 for 95% of your work,
and rent a bigger saw when you need it.

P.S. If you don't like the 026, I'll buy it from you. :D

The size & power of your saw really depends on your anticipated use for it. I have a couple of Husky 335XPT's & use them for most of my work, felling, bucking, limbing, but I have a bigger Husky for larger trees like mature Ponderosa pine. A heavy saw will wear more on your arms after all day use, a lite saw won't do all jobs. I think everybody ends up with a mix over time.

First of all thanks to everyone for their opinions and input. I bought the Stihl 046 Mag with a 24" bar. After one use i couldnt be happier. I think i have the best of both worlds with the 46. I can put a 16" up to 32" so its just right and the weight is easy to carry(im a bigger guy) So again thanks to everyone

OH NO!!!!!! this site is in trouble. Another Husky man. I did read today that husky is coming out with there own guide bars soon.

I recently bought a 18" bar for my 046 and holy !@#$ I have never seen something eat through dead wood like that little monster. Its just like having a beaver on a mix of steroids and crack. Big motor tiny bar and chain = lots O chips flying

GO STIHL or go home

Sonny have you heard anything else on the Stihl/Deere merger? I think Confused should be saying "Go Steere or go Home!"
I dont know, if Stihl changes there saws to Orange and Green that would really be something.;)

Havent heard a thing. Me being a dealer for stihl will be the last to hear a thing. Stihl has changed so much. 30 yrs ago they were 100% comerical. Now that Husky has taking over the sales market w/ there junk, Stihl started putting out there own junk.I would say less than 10 % of there saws on the market are worth a darn now. But you have 1 of them.

Well i like to think that my saw is one tough piece of wood cutting equipment. Besides i take it apart everytime i use it and clean it out. Im sort of anal retentive about it. What other models do you think are Stihls best? Just wondering. I looked at Huskies they just look cheaply made. later Sonny

Hey Confused,

Sounds like you are taking good care of your new saw. Along with your 046, the Stihl models I like are the 026, 036, 044, and the 066. These are comparable to the Husqvarna 346XP, 357XP, 372XP, and 395XP respectively, all of which I also like.

I know what you mean about Husqvarna not appearing to be a quality built saw. It reminds me of when I saw my first Japanese car. I thought it was a joke and would never last. Well, we all know the rest of that story!
By using plastic and completely redesigning how chain saws look and feel, Husky has left a lot of traditional minded people behind. The only thing that matters is "How well does it work?" For that, we can read these forums and go try one for ourselves. I think both ways are important.

Glad to hear you are using a shorter bar on your 046. Not only is it less tiring and safer, a shorter bar will usually cut faster. The only thing that keeps most people from using a shorter bar is the "manhood factor" which you obviously don't have a problem with.

Do you still have that old McCulloch?

Carroll

Yeap the Ole McCulloch still runs and cuts great. One thing about that ole saw is that my father beat the !@#$ out of it and i when i say beat it i mean run hard put away wet. That saw has had 4 chains completely worn out on it and gone through two 16" bars. So its had plenty of use and never even been in a shop not even once. I recently took his always dull chains(likes to dig dirt) into be sharpened i spent at least an hour cleaning the caked on dirt, wood chips, and oil inside the cover. But i cant say anything bad about that saw because it ALWAYS starts on the third pull. However i wouldnt give up my 046 for the Mac. Its a good saw but ill stick with my monster.

cut safe
kurt

Back