Bye Bye 540xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They've been into the dealer 4 or 5 times over the last couple years for this issue. All they say is it must be bad gas or "I've cut wood with a 562 and never had a problem.." Thought I would give husky a try because I heard/read good things about them. But I'm going in tomorrow to buy a 201tcm and a 441. I wouldn't say I'm a stihl guy, it's just what my employer buys.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

461 is your Friend.

Get it now just at local pro stop in Stirling .Was a little disappointed thinking Shell in Belleville would've been good. Uncle has had 441 for 5 years or more and has always had cold start issues with it lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've used the husqvarna pre mixed stuff a few times and it worked great, but I'd be paying a small fortune for fuel. It's just not feasible for me. We have 2 441cm's and they've been pretty bullet proof. One got stolen so it was replaced with a 461 and I definitely prefer the 441cm.

We'll see, I'll let you know if it does.
All the mechanics i know or read about. All say corn will seperate from the petro and turn to goo then crust. Aka broken carb. The mechanics say they stay busy changing carbs on seasonal equipment all year long. Generator/fall/winter, lawn mowers early spring, etc etc.

All the mechanics i know or read about. All say corn will seperate from the petro and turn to goo then crust. Aka broken carb. The mechanics say they stay busy changing carbs on seasonal equipment all year long. Generator/fall/winter, lawn mowers early spring, etc etc.
I've used nothing but E10 for years. I rarely drain it before letting the saw sit (only if it will be a long time), but I dump it into the lawn mower if it's more than a few months old. I have no significant issues other than vapor lock problems. To be clear I think ethanol in fuel is dumb, but in my experience it's not a big problem.

I've used nothing but E10 for years. I rarely drain it before letting the saw sit (only if it will be a long time), but I dump it into the lawn mower if it's more than a few months old. I have no significant issues other than vapor lock problems. To be clear I think ethanol in fuel is dumb, but in my experience it's not a big problem.
That sound's great !! I will keep this in my brain. Thank you.

Did you see Post #73 in this thread?

Did you see Post #73 in this thread?

Mechanics talk like they never sold a carb kit or fuel line prior to the introduction of ETOH fuel. I have been running E10 since it came out and used to do the 1 month mix dump, run dry and all that other crap. One year I forgot to drain a trimmer and it sat all fall and winter with a tank of fuel. I expected to see parfait separation and gallons of water. Nope, the fuel I poured out of the trimmer looked and smelled better than the new stuff I put back in. So I gave up on the whole E10 killer fuel mix deal. Its your equipment and you can do what you want but to blame all problems on E10 is nutz. Note both my 562xp and 550xp have only been run on 50:1 premium E10 mix. No problems.

Around here if mix sits more than a month or so color starts changing from blue to green /brown. Straight fuel goes from clear to gold/brown. After 4 to 6 months, most will not start and have fuel that is cloudy or milky. If humid lots of water. The public transportation co. I work for has thousands if pieces with small engines. E10 is a major problem. Nothing can sit with fuel in them more than a few months. Problems range from no start from degraded/water logged fuel to corroded carb jets and passages. Steel float bowls badly rusted and pitted, jelly, hard crystals pink powder found in carb bowls. I do not leave fuel in anything more than a month if I can help it.

Update. Well it's been 2 weeks and my saws are still at the dealer. The 540 needs a new fuel tank and my 562 is being looked at. I know the dealer has been in contact with husky tech, but haven't heard anything else. Work still needs to be done so I bought a new 201tc. I put 4 tanks of fuel through it today and wow what a difference. It was stinking hot today too and that saw didn't hiccup once. It runs just as strong as the 540 but the best part is when you want it to start... you pull the cord once and it runs!!! Thank god I don't have to deal with that bs anymore.

Around here if mix sits more than a month or so color starts changing from blue to green /brown. Straight fuel goes from clear to gold/brown. After 4 to 6 months, most will not start and have fuel that is cloudy or milky. If humid lots of water. The public transportation co. I work for has thousands if pieces with small engines. E10 is a major problem. Nothing can sit with fuel in them more than a few months. Problems range from no start from degraded/water logged fuel to corroded carb jets and passages. Steel float bowls badly rusted and pitted, jelly, hard crystals pink powder found in carb bowls. I do not leave fuel in anything more than a month if I can help it.
That sounds really extreme. I didn't look at you tag to see where you are located, but maybe the tanks at you job are filthy and filled with water as well? I personally have never seen gas E10 turn like that and I let this (because it's all they sell here) sit in all my machines and they do start up next season minus all the ailments your company is having. Don't get me wrong I will pour out and use in the tractor or something because I know what it does to full lines and diaphragms.

That sounds really extreme. I didn't look at you tag to see where you are located, but maybe the tanks at you job are filthy and filled with water as well? I personally have never seen gas E10 turn like that and I let this (because it's all they sell here) sit in all my machines and they do start up next season minus all the ailments your company is having. Don't get me wrong I will pour out and use in the tractor or something because I know what it does to full lines and diaphragms.

I have experienced it at home also with top tier fuels. For example, I left fresh fuel in my blower in December, when I went to use it at the end of march and it was cloudy, dumped it and refueled with new mix and the primer was gunked up, finally freed up.

Yup. Other than vapor lock it gives me no issues. I use only E10 from the local station and I don't do much special other than dumping it after a couple of months, especially if it's been very humid. And I never let my cans sit outside.

Yup. Other than vapor lock it gives me no issues. I use only E10 from the local station and I don't do much special other than dumping it after a couple of months, especially if it's been very humid. And I never let my cans sit outside.
Same here, unfortunately we have no choice here but E10. I'm definitely not promoting it ,don't get me wrong I am full aware of the havoc it has caused on hoses and gaskets and so forth. But as long as you know it's limits of shelf life, you should be fine. But I never seen it turn foggy or milky and the only time I've seen a primer bulb gunk up, is when it leaks off and the oil is left behind.

Latest posts

Back