Certified Tree Risk Assessor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fortunately there are people out there willing to spend money to preserve trees, even those that may have been quickly condemned by the drive-by tree guy :msp_scared:.

The TRACE program is worth taking for the education itself. The cert is probably usefull/less depending on your location.

jp:D

Maybe the people that just don't like the tops of trees won't care bout no certs. I probably should have it around here if it even applies here. I'll look later.

Wow I love the enthusiasm of this thread there are some real heavy blowhards now weighing in , The truth of the matter is you can sugar coat anything you want but when a tree needs to go its gotta go ... And I am not saying that I am a drive by estimator but there are times where its that simple .... And I doubt any of these blow hards would sign a piece of paper guaranteeing that a tree is safe so whats the point its just a chest beating worthless topic , and if you do guarantee the tree stand up and be heard I would love some insight on that LOL 1000xs , I am sure your insurance agent would love to hear that along with your lawyer ...

Seems on this forum if you want to represent that you are an "arborist" what you do is wet yourself all over about a guy spiking up a prune or cutting some top off of a tree and that takes care of it and that is all the knowledge you need or are ever going to get.:monkey:

Where is the difference in the guy in Ohio that had all the dangerous animals that let them loose and the guy that has all the dangerous trees threatening his neighbor's property?

Hey if you want to kill yourself....more power to ya. But if you aren't caring about killing your neighbors and visitors...time for intervention with some smart inspections.

"There are some real heavy blowhards now weighing in". Lol, that's good one. I was actually thinking the same thing to myself this morning while looking over this thread.

:popcorn:

Seems on this forum if you want to represent that you are an "arborist" what you do is wet yourself all over about a guy spiking up a prune or cutting some top off of a tree and that takes care of it and that is all the knowledge you need or are ever going to get.:monkey:

Where is the difference in the guy in Ohio that had all the dangerous animals that let them loose and the guy that has all the dangerous trees threatening his neighbor's property?

Hey if you want to kill yourself....more power to ya. But if you aren't caring about killing your neighbors and visitors...time for intervention with some smart inspections.

My inspection in that reguard are as follows: hey ED this mutha ####### trees are hanging over my house dropping #### in MY yard shading my pool I have asked him for the last 5 years to do something about it, now I am through asking what can you do for me " end quote ... And my response is lets trim them back , lets not HACK them to the point where there gonna die and here is what its gonna cost MR .SMO ... I mean maybe I am missing something but 90% of customers ALREADY know what they want they will only accept a viable option at accomplishing the ends to there means and thats where the REAL HACKS are seperated from those who paint there trucks with rollers , anyway ... No PUN intended to anyone in particular

"There are some real heavy blowhards now weighing in". Lol, that's good one. I was actually thinking the same thing to myself this morning while looking over this thread.

:popcorn:

I am gonna say this flat out , there is a guy here that only has this opinion about tree conservation now because he's busy but come FEB when his #### has been parked for a while costing him money his standards of a safe tree will drastically drop quick , at least I am the way I am 12 months of the year I don't change with the WORK BACKLOG...

I cannot hardly contain the pleasure in saying what you 2 guys say about this program/system/accredation amounts to zero point shat. You 2 are the purest form of example of the losers this change in arboricultural history will affect. Couldn't find a better example on AS.

This is happening as we speak, no denying, debating or challenging it. You 2 cannot even take the program as you have to be a CA to take it and you have to have knowledge beyond that to pass it. Good luck in future change in careers. :msp_thumbsup: Wish the best for ya. Painting might be a good option lol.

Here's some pics from that ash we did last week. After finishing this tree I have to say it was much more sturdy than I thought. I kinda felt bad because the customer seemed all busted up about losing it. The reality is it could have lasted years, or came down on the neighbor's house next week. notice I said neighbor's house, not the customer that was crying about lsing the piece of crap. But I look at it this way, am I gonna lose work and risk the thing coming down on the house, or worse yet a person? No, sorry, I'm just not that much of a tree hugger.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here's some pics from that ash we did last week. After finishing this tree I have to say it was much more sturdy than I thought. I kinda felt bad because the customer seemed all busted up about losing it. The reality is it could have lasted years, or came down on the neighbor's house next week. notice I said neighbor's house, not the customer that was crying about lsing the piece of crap. But I look at it this way, am I gonna lose work and risk the thing coming down on the house, or worse yet a person? No, sorry, I'm just not that much of a tree hugger.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Watch out the future asspressers of the industry are reading this thread ... Ha what a joke I mean its comical at this point , I will be dead and buried along time before things around here change drastically I will have my 6 year old son read this thread at 25 and laugh like little school kids together , and as far as the licenses when I have to get one I get it I haven't lost a day of work yet because of it.. Oh and for whom this concerns I will tip a 40 to ya on your headstone when your pipedream comes to frutition because you'll probably be gone lol

Last edited:
Watch out the future asspressers of the industry are reading this thread ... Ha what a joke I mean its comical at this point , I will be dead and buried along time before things around here change drastically I will have my 6 year old son read this thread at 25 and laugh like little school kids together , and as far as the licenses when I have to get one I get it I haven't lost a day of work yet because of it.. Oh and for whom this concerns I will tip a 40 to ya on your headstone when your pipedream comes to frutition because you'll probably be gone lol

I can see it though, all the nerds that can't even run a chainsaw will go and become "Certified Tree Risk Assessor's", then when they have the market cornered, they'll come looking to hire real treemen that can actually the work. No thanks, I'll be cleaning my paint brushes. lmao.

I can see it though, all the nerds that can't even run a chainsaw will go and become "Certified Tree Risk Assessor's", then when they have the market cornered, they'll come looking to hire real treemen that can actually the work. No thanks, I'll be cleaning my paint brushes. lmao.

Well ya know there will be asspressing expos and asspressing course refreshers and they will sit around sipping tea with there pinkies out laughing about how well they are doing , I wonder if there will residentual house ivy removal asspressors ... Because if so there is a certain somebody ^ that will be the guest professor ....I guess I will just start my retirement a bit sooner and I will head on DOWN to WALTART and fill out the GREETERS application so I can scare all the children coming in at christmas time....

Well ya know there will be asspressing expos and asspressing course refreshers and they will sit around sipping tea with there pinkies out laughing about how well they are doing , I wonder if there will residentual house ivy removal asspressors ... Because if so there is a certain somebody ^ that will be the guest professor ....I guess I will just start my retirement a bit sooner and I will head on DOWN to WALTART and fill out the GREETERS application so I can scare all the children coming in at christmas time....

Seriously though, this is gonna be a great boon for many a pansified test loving nerd. It sounds like a great way for them to get a leg up finally! I mean forget about the chainsaws and equipment, just bring your stack of credentials and talk the tree to death! lol.

Seriously though, this is gonna be a great boon for many a pansified test loving nerd. It sounds like a great way for them to get a leg up finally! I mean forget about the chainsaws and equipment, just bring your stack of credentials and talk the tree to death! lol.
Believe me there is little to worry about there are few people with the means to indemnify themselves to a tree , it will be much more of the same .. I will not allow a business owner or a competitor to ever dictate how I earn a living so I worry about this very little .. lets put it this way they will be the ones painting equipment not me or there words will carry little weight

I think everybody should have a copy of Matheny & Clark's "Evaluation of Hazard Trees in Urban Areas", and Hayes "Evaluating Tree Defects". I like both.

For those that believe that becoming a Certified Tree Risk Assessor is a good thing; all the more to you. In some areas, it might give your company a competitive marketing advantage (unique selling proposition). Buy a resistograph while you're at it. Have fun.

For me, not. I've played this crtification/education game for awhile now.........past "tickets" have included ISA CA (ON-459A), former NAA member, former ISA member (#19776), former Dip in Agr graduate, former Dip in Heavy Equip Tech, college diploma -2year paramedic program, current AEMCA 2009-13145 etc, etc, etc.

Education ain't a bad thing; just sometimes expensive & very time consuming. I'm planning on getting ISA CA certification again after a lapse of 5 years.

Gotta go clean my paint roller now.

well I can see the d-bags have dumbed up this thread and they always say the same old thing. Blah! Blah! Blah! Yeah we get your point now go away.

Well ya know tree work is much like building the atom bomb , very complex delicate HIGHLY EDUCATED work here so only a few are truly qualified to do it , Its like a calling a "trashman" a waste management professional , you can think of as many cool and trendy names as your mind can create your still just a treeman a step above a lawn man so what...

Don't worry "MDS" I pretty sure that he was just referring to me with the "DUMB DUMB" comment don't get your panties all up in a bunch LOL .....

Well ya know tree work is much like building the atom bomb , very complex delicate HIGHLY EDUCATED work here so only a few are truly qualified to do it , Its like a calling a "trashman" a waste management professional , you can think of as many cool and trendy names as your mind can create your still just a treeman a step above a lawn man so what...

Man.....you'd think I'da pisced in you'se guy's Wheaties or somethin. Didn't mean to set you both off in such a tizzy. I know you guyz can figger what tree should come down.

well I can see the d-bags have dumbed up this thread and they always say the same old thing. Blah! Blah! Blah! Yeah we get your point now go away.

I think you're gonna do well in this business. The best salesmen don't even realize how full of crap they are.

Look how well vet has done for himself.

Last edited:
I wanted to ask you guys who have studied for or taken the exam if any of the material covered trees uprooting on hill/creek sides?

I've already agreed on removing x amount of trees here because they've had two trees uproot and hit buildings. How would a Certified Tree Risk Assessor approach a job like this?

I would try to find out what kind of uproot is ocurring "hinged" or "shifted," that might give you a place to start.

I'm didn't take the class or the test but I have read some of the study guide.

Latest posts

Back