CEU Ripoff

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even I can see that tree care has changed...and I don't work in the field as more than an amateur...sure the equipment has improved, but so has technique...just a few years back pollarding was a normal accepted thing,
and no one ced if you flush cut a branch, ruining the collar...painting over
cut ends was the way to go...

yeh..it's changed...the physical action of removing tree might not have changed much, but the art and science have certainly advanced...

Tree Care has not changed other than the equipment used to do the job!!!! Please............Pollarding is still a way of trimming certain trees, the flush cut has been frowned upon since I started this trade in 1988, painting cuts is still suggested but for a different reason!!

Cavity fills.............these are done alot where I live, not with cement but with foam, its not meant to strengthen the tree but more to keep nature from finishing it off!

Tell me seer what has changed? other than equipment! ANSI standards have basically went unchanged for better than 15yrs!!!

Mctree.....what did I say that mabe an azzclown of me? break it down great one!! I really hope you do print it out & show people.....do you think they will care? show me by paragraph where im wrong!!

truth is.......what I said is the truth, some dont like it because it makes you feel a little disenfranchised, like your not all that & a bag of chips like you thought you were!

I do learn more than the entry level BTW, I was just stating an opinion...MINE!

LXT.....................

Tree Care has not changed other than the equipment used to do the job!!!! Please............Pollarding is still a way of trimming certain trees, the flush cut has been frowned upon since I started this trade in 1988, painting cuts is still suggested but for a different reason!!

Cavity fills.............these are done alot where I live, not with cement but with foam, its not meant to strengthen the tree but more to keep nature from finishing it off!

Tell me seer what has changed? other than equipment! ANSI standards have basically went unchanged for better than 15yrs!!!

Mctree.....what did I say that mabe an azzclown of me? break it down great one!! I really hope you do print it out & show people.....do you think they will care? show me by paragraph where im wrong!!

truth is.......what I said is the truth, some dont like it because it makes you feel a little disenfranchised, like your not all that & a bag of chips like you thought you were!

LXT.....................

You're doing it again. I am printing this one out too. This is gold.

This is how guys pruned in 1980 and you can see some things haven't changed. I guess to someone who doesn't know any better the techniques haven't changed.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

You're doing it again. I am printing this one out too. This is gold.

:yourock: LOL, Print away ole boy!

Look Im not against continuing education & I do stay abreast on advances in this industry, I read arborist news, Tcia mag`s, & have a small modest collection of informative books & such!

The thread has been a little de-railed though! I mean why does the ISA require the continuing education to be more lengthy than whats needed?

why pay over 100+ dollars for 6.5 - 8 Ceu`s for "basic training for tree climbers"....Maybe you non-climbing Arborists will?? If 18 are free as some of you think....then tell me how much the 12 ceu`s will cost along with the recert fee? BTW, their seminars are fairly expensive, miss work, hotel , food, registration fee, etc... maybe you millionaires can do this, but to lose $1500-$2500.00 to get a whopping 4 ceu`s....Nah!

my main "opinion" was/is why so much more to keep the cert? seriously? the compendium series is what $300.00 with ? 49.5 ceu`s & with more than 750 questions.....these are a compilation of all the "free" ceus from 1993 till now! so what now there not free?

why dont they just have a re-cert test or better yet (1) test per year worth 10 ceu`s? Well I imagine to do that would take away all the money they would make....especially by those of you who love to learn & better yet.....like to spend money to buy their books!

To recertify should be much easier than obtaining the original Cert. their way is not for continuing your education my fellow CA`s, their way is for putting as much money in their pockets as possible while holding your Cert like a thief for the ransom! yeah how hard could it be 1-book with "free" answer sheets maybe 75 questions touching on a myriad of topics worth 10 ceu`s!!! why wouldnt that work........

oh, thats right, that book would cost hundreds of dollars & no one would buy it, better to plug us for $39.95 here & there or the occasional big hit of a mere $149.95.....thats why!

LXT......................

Tree Care has not changed other than the equipment used to do the job!!!! Please........ ANSI standards have basically went unchanged for better than 15yrs!!!
ok since you and jo are peasinapod here:

ISA is one of many member orgs to ANSI, over ten anyway. TCIA is the contact org for all standards except ISA is for safety.

ANSI changes a LOT, every 5 years. Not enough imo, but significantly.

If your tree care methods have not changed, there is a missed opportunity to stay current, if you want to.

Filling cavities with foam to keep WHAT critters from "finishing off" the tree? :blob2:

Maybe the computer burped when scoring your test....lucky you!

FRee education is worth every penny that it costs. :sucks:

LXT.....................

Treeseer is right based on what I've seen in regards to the average arborist doing less damage by understanding tree biology better than the previous generations.

The handsaw remains the same in that the stroke is back and forth, but the tree care has changed in that the work is done with more moderation, so less damage is being done to the trees.

You may be right in regards to that men and women are still out cutting branches and trunks with saws. And have an eye for shaping.

But the top tier of arborists out in our neck of the woods, are realizing how trees are integrated with turf and shrubs, and have a pretty good grasp on soils and things like mycorrhizae.

I've been down to Powells Books here a few times and read the content of old tree care books and compared that to new tree care books. There is plenty of overlap, but the information is in no way close to identical.

In that regards, tree care is not the same.

It's not the same in the way that professional turf care, like at country clubs, is not the same anymore. Just because the grass gets mowed every day, and the golfers put on the greens every day, does not mean its the same way except for some evil empires like the golf course superintendents association or the USGA.

Last edited:
OK, another "final post" on this thread, for me---

Say, LXT, what's your CA#? Just wondering----

-Miles

CA#TX-3423AU

ok since you and jo are peasinapod here:

ISA is one of many member orgs to ANSI, over ten anyway. TCIA is the contact org for all standards except ISA is for safety.

ANSI changes a LOT, every 5 years. Not enough imo, but significantly.

If your tree care methods have not changed, there is a missed opportunity to stay current, if you want to.

Filling cavities with foam to keep WHAT critters from "finishing off" the tree? :blob2:

Maybe the computer burped when scoring your test....lucky you!

FRee education is worth every penny that it costs. :sucks:

Ansi hasnt changed significantly in the last 15 years, I have the standards back to 95...what change are you speaking of??

My tree care methods...... have not really changed! I advise against "topping", I will talk to a homeowner and advise against removal if there is no good reason to remove, if there is a disease, pest or other I will treat it!.......I have pretty much always done this!

Filling cavities with foam & coating with pruning dressing will help deter water infiltration, especially in the upcoming months, the freeze/thaw effect within the cavity & any cavity veins.......this procedure is done by many tree care companies, including the green & yellow along with the other company whom has a good lab & study coarse!

Yep... the computer burped giving me scores in the upper 80`s & mid 90`s through out all domains, not bad for only reading in my leisure & all done with the arborist study guide!

Again there is no free education with the ISA, If you think there is you are a fool :dizzy:

LXT.............

:

Look Im not against continuing education & I do stay abreast on advances in this industry, I read arborist news, Tcia mag`s, & have a small modest collection of informative books & such!

The thread has been a little de-railed though! I mean why does the ISA require the continuing education to be more lengthy than whats needed?

why pay over 100+ dollars for 6.5 - 8 Ceu`s for "basic training for tree climbers"....Maybe you non-climbing Arborists will?? If 18 are free as some of you think....then tell me how much the 12 ceu`s will cost along with the recert fee? BTW, their seminars are fairly expensive, miss work, hotel , food, registration fee, etc... maybe you millionaires can do this, but to lose $1500-$2500.00 to get a whopping 4 ceu`s....Nah!

my main "opinion" was/is why so much more to keep the cert? seriously? the compendium series is what $300.00 with ? 49.5 ceu`s & with more than 750 questions.....these are a compilation of all the "free" ceus from 1993 till now! so what now there not free?

why dont they just have a re-cert test or better yet (1) test per year worth 10 ceu`s? Well I imagine to do that would take away all the money they would make....especially by those of you who love to learn & better yet.....like to spend money to buy their books!

To recertify should be much easier than obtaining the original Cert. their way is not for continuing your education my fellow CA`s, their way is for putting as much money in their pockets as possible while holding your Cert like a thief for the ransom! yeah how hard could it be 1-book with "free" answer sheets maybe 75 questions touching on a myriad of topics worth 10 ceu`s!!! why wouldnt that work........

oh, thats right, that book would cost hundreds of dollars & no one would buy it, better to plug us for $39.95 here & there or the occasional big hit of a mere $149.95.....thats why!

LXT......................

Hmmm......what? No one wants to comment on this post!! c`mon guys...surely someone one will try to stick up for the ISA & give reasons why they wouldnt do what is mentioned above.

Cmon.....tell the rest of us why we wouldnt want to recertify this way, tell us how bad that would be, tell us how the high & mighty ISA will sell you CEU`s that are from article reprints from 1993.......FREE you say! LOL :dizzy:

I cant wait to hear this!! BTW...those of you defending like; treeseer, sunrise, mckeetree.....Im getting Rep`d like crazy from others who feel the same!! thanks, oh....hey, feel free to print this post out too, LOL

LXT................

ps, why would you want my cert #, do you want my press release letter they gave me to, or my customer service ID #?

(snip)

LXT................

ps, why would you want my cert #, do you want my press release letter they gave me to, or my customer service ID #?

Just cut the :censored: and give me your CA#. It's not an "out there" request. Mine is: TX-3423AU. I want to know that you're not pulling everyone's chain, here, with some bs about how you now are a CA. While I'm on the subject, if you are not a CA, and ISA finds out that you are representing yourself as one, even on here, they will trouble your waters, to the extent that they can. So, what's your CA#? Either give it up, or shut the :censored: up about your CA scores, CEU's and such.

FWIW, there was a guy in here that started a thread about how he was going to spy on everyone whom he suspected of violating OSHA/ANSI standards and regulations. He hid behind his sn and talked real big. As soon as I checked out his CA# and outted him, as to who he was and where he was, he disappeared, never to post in here, again, at least as he did in the past.

Anyone who is scared to reveal his/her true identity, in here, has some agenda that stinks. As long as you won't let us know your CA#, I can only conclude that you are one sorry :censored: who is feeding this forum a line of :censored:!

Again, WHAT IS YOUR CA#?

Do it lxt, the ISA isn't going to do anything about it. According to Tom Dunlap, it not up to ISA memebers to police themselves. And if they do something to you, out of spite and pettiness, then fork them, they ain't worth it anyways.:cheers:

Do it lxt, the ISA isn't going to do anything about it. According to Tom Dunlap, it not up to ISA memebers to police themselves. And if they do something to you, out of spite and pettiness, then fork them, they ain't worth it anyways.:cheers:

:bringit: Come on, LXT, bring it! It's just your CA#. No big deal, unless you've been bs'ing this whole thread.

My utility arborist #00107 TT 04. And I had to get it by working, around powerlines for 1200 hours, not from a book, bra ha ha ha!

What certifying body is that from? I know ACRT certifies, but I haven't seen that format. Just wondering----

Certification # PD-1915A, Certified Feb 17, 2009, Expires Jun 30, 2012

Funny thing is sunrise if you would of checked my Bio & then looked in the membership listing you would of seen Im not pulling your chain......Im listed in there as a professional member & Certified Arborist!

hope this answers your question, Now quickly go to the ISA website & check it out!

Would you like my LCTT cert# too? Shesh.....I got more marbles than you!! like its a kids game!

LXT................

Latest posts

Back