CEU Ripoff

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Certification # PD-1915A, Certified Feb 17, 2009, Expires Jun 30, 2012

Funny thing is sunrise if you would of checked my Bio & then looked in the membership listing you would of seen Im not pulling your chain......Im listed in there as a professional member & Certified Arborist!

hope this answers your question, Now quickly go to the ISA website & check it out!

Would you like my LCTT cert# too? Shesh.....I got more marbles than you!! like its a kids game!

LXT................

Thanks, Keith. It's no big deal, Mr. Long. I was just starting to wonder about your certification since you were talking so much :censored: about the ISA's CEU requirements and you seem so against keeping up with new developments in our chosen profession. Just about every CA I know enjoys learning new things about tree-related research issues, so your attitude struck me as, decidedly, strange. Anyway, no hard feelings.

Thanks, Keith. It's no big deal, Mr. Long. I was just starting to wonder about your certification since you were talking so much :censored: about the ISA's CEU requirements and you seem so against keeping up with new developments in our chosen profession. Just about every CA I know enjoys learning new things about tree-related research issues, so your attitude struck me as, decidedly, strange. Anyway, no hard feelings.

No hard feelings taken, we`re all in this together, I was just voicing an opinion...I did not mean to offend anyone, BUT....many times on here some come across (me too) a little brash!

I just feel like this: I love this trade, Im a little on the traditional side as far as the "up through the ranks type" I just hate it when a trade especially ours has so many organizations/ unions & other entities reaching in our pockets!

Im not against learning...by any means, in a trade/career that is tough enough on ya physically, not to mention expensive (our toys arent cheap!) we will go above & beyond by obtaining Certs, pesticide/herb, CDL, etc.. that I truly feel we are worth much more!

In my area a utility tree trimmer will make anywhere from $18-$22 hr, residential guys make far less, $12- $14....My little company actually pays good.....& our service is good, so the point im making is: we put our heart & souls into it, dream about it even, So how about making the continuing path of keeping the cert as least pocket invasive & time consuming as possible?

No matter what our opinions & even though they vary less/greater...we still have a duty of stewardship in our profession weather certified or not, & above all......we have people who love us, so lets make it home safe every day!

LXT....................

No hard feelings taken, we`re all in this together, I was just voicing an opinion...I did not mean to offend anyone, BUT....many times on here some come across (me too) a little brash!

I just feel like this: I love this trade, Im a little on the traditional side as far as the "up through the ranks type" I just hate it when a trade especially ours has so many organizations/ unions & other entities reaching in our pockets!

Im not against learning...by any means, in a trade/career that is tough enough on ya physically, not to mention expensive (our toys arent cheap!) we will go above & beyond by obtaining Certs, pesticide/herb, CDL, etc.. that I truly feel we are worth much more!

In my area a utility tree trimmer will make anywhere from $18-$22 hr, residential guys make far less, $12- $14....My little company actually pays good.....& our service is good, so the point im making is: we put our heart & souls into it, dream about it even, So how about making the continuing path of keeping the cert as least pocket invasive & time consuming as possible?

No matter what our opinions & even though they vary less/greater...we still have a duty of stewardship in our profession weather certified or not, & above all......we have people who love us, so lets make it home safe every day!

LXT....................

I will keep an open mind to other people's post about the ISA. As for as ISA goes you are as certified an arborist as I am. And I won't print your post out. No hard feelings.

LXT....................

Good post,LXT, I think it depends on where you want to take your cert. I remember back in the day when residential was making bank. Not today. Utility was someone wants long term steady. Not in this stage of 49 states with unemployment and budget defecits. Nowadays you need to follow the money and to back-up your company to compete. I stay away from residetial and utility as well as any job that requires prevailing wage. That is just the unions making sure we bid apples to apples. I think it just depends on if you think the cert. is worth it. In some cases it is.
Jeff

LXT....................

:cheers:

I guess I don't want tp be left out or give you guys a reason to believe that i'm full of :censored: PD-1882A. I've been reluctant to give this info out for the reason that there's lurkers out there reading everything you right. I'm afraid someone in the area is going use the stuff I write against when bidding. Lets face it you can learn alot about someone just from what they say. :cheers:

Also those pictures that for some reason aren't viewable any more were taken by me because I was across the street doing work for one of my customers when a tree truck pulls up. I was heartbroken to see what this guy did to these trees, they were beautiful full healthy red maples and that was the end result. These pictures are just another tool to show my customers what they don't want trees to look like.

Whatever people think of me on here is their personal prerogative. I gotten pissy and even jumped the gun once or twice with people on here for :censored: they have posted. Everyone has good and bad days, in the town I work i'm just an above average tree guy amongst a sea of hacks trying to make it.:cry:

I know i'm off the subject just had to get that out.:cheers:

I guess I don't want tp be left out or give you guys a reason to believe that i'm full of :censored: PD-1882A. I've been reluctant to give this info out for the reason that there's lurkers out there reading everything you right. I'm afraid someone in the area is going use the stuff I write against when bidding. Lets face it you can learn alot about someone just from what they say. :cheers:

This may take this thread in a whole new direction. I think the subject of anonymity on the internet is one many think about, at times. I feel that certain areas of the net should cause a poster to be on guard. Political forums, talk of religion and other "touchy" subjects are probably better discussed without giving one's true identity. In here, I feel I'm among my peers and that we're all in it together. While some things we talk about in here, like pita clients and goofy things homeowners do on their own, might conceivably be used against us if somehow published in the mass media, the odds of anyone wanting to do that is slim. Even if such things got "out there," I cannot recall any of us ever giving names, addresses, etc., of anyone we disparage, in most cases, so there wouldn't be much reason to go to the trouble to "out" someone's posts, in here, to the public.

Now I did mention that I "outted" a guy, in here, who was talking about companies he was going to turn in to OSHA. He was going to take pictures of violations and such, on job sites. I felt he should have come clean as to where he was and who he was before he posted stuff like that. Once I traced him using his posted CA#, and posted his name, company and location, he disappeared from this forum. Now he may be back on here with another sn, but I don't know.

If someone is against using their true identity in here, that's their business. If they start posting stuff like the guy I just mentioned, then it becomes another matter, as I see it.

-Miles

I agree w Sunrise. If you want to be anonymous that is just fine but if you are going to be inflammatory and vindictive then most everyone is gonna want to know where/what the source of all this trouble is. I am a very honest person and take pride in that. It goes along with that to not hide in the bushes and snipe at people.

One of the greatest things about these forums is you can talk shop and laugh and commiserate and share trade secrets with peers and not usually have to worry about them taking a key job or client away from you.

This may take this thread in a whole new direction. I think the subject of anonymity on the internet is one many think about, at times. I feel that certain areas of the net should cause a poster to be on guard. Political forums, talk of religion and other "touchy" subjects are probably better discussed without giving one's true identity. In here, I feel I'm among my peers and that we're all in it together. While some things we talk about in here, like pita clients and goofy things homeowners do on their own, might conceivably be used against us if somehow published in the mass media, the odds of anyone wanting to do that is slim. Even if such things got "out there," I cannot recall any of us ever giving names, addresses, etc., of anyone we disparage, in most cases, so there wouldn't be much reason to go to the trouble to "out" someone's posts, in here, to the public.

Now I did mention that I "outted" a guy, in here, who was talking about companies he was going to turn in to OSHA. He was going to take pictures of violations and such, on job sites. I felt he should have come clean as to where he was and who he was before he posted stuff like that. Once I traced him using his posted CA#, and posted his name, company and location, he disappeared from this forum. Now he may be back on here with another sn, but I don't know.

If someone is against using their true identity in here, that's their business. If they start posting stuff like the guy I just mentioned, then it becomes another matter, as I see it.

-Miles

I would never wish OSHA on anyone, nor would I threaten OSHA on someone. That to me is punk :censored: This is a discussion forum and their is going to debates, if you are going to post something you have to be able to handle criticism. the only thing I'm guilty of is speaking my mind.

My problem with revealing identity is someone is lurking out there who may live in my area and may never become a member or post anything but knows who I am now and reads everything I write. He is learning how I do things and could use that against me when bidding or to talk me down. I think non members shouldn't be able to enter this discussion forum and members should have to verify who they are when they sign up.

Password access to this part of AS?

(snip) I think non members shouldn't be able to enter this discussion forum and members should have to verify who they are when they sign up.

Interesting idea. I know there are forums on medical discussion sites which only MD's and other medical professionals can access by verified passwords. To make this part of AS a password-only access area might be a good idea, but then it might not be. What do the rest of you guys/gals think about this?

This site is supported by advertisers so I don't think it's a good idea.

If people don't want their info out there then they shouldn't post it.

I agree, you got something to say, say it. When push came to shove here, two years back, I said who I was. Maybe not the smartest thing I ever did, but it was important to me.

Isa cert is worth it for me

I attended the National Isa confrence in providence, learned a bunch and got ceus. I am currently scrambling to finnish my ceus for 2nd recert. It is some work but it makes sense that it should get harder and you should need to learn more to maintain certification. The certification test was too easy in my opinion. More knowledge allows you to offer much bettter services and quality and keeps the work more interesting. I cringe when I see the pruning performed by some outfits in this area claiming "professionally trained'' or some other bs. ISA cert may not be needed for every business but it has made me far more professional and improved the bottom line. My advice is do your homework you may be surprised how you put that info to use.

I attended the National Isa confrence in providence, learned a bunch and got ceus. I am currently scrambling to finnish my ceus for 2nd recert. It is some work but it makes sense that it should get harder and you should need to learn more to maintain certification. The certification test was too easy in my opinion. More knowledge allows you to offer much bettter services and quality and keeps the work more interesting. I cringe when I see the pruning performed by some outfits in this area claiming "professionally trained'' or some other bs. ISA cert may not be needed for every business but it has made me far more professional and improved the bottom line. My advice is do your homework you may be surprised how you put that info to use.
Paonia, thanks for speaking up--excellent post, let's hope lxt has his ears on. I'm not happy about the test being dumbed down, but it is what it is--go to Massachusetts or move up to the BCMA if you want to take a more challenging test! Yes certs got fragmented; they were bound to--lots of people doing arborist work when they are not wearing saddles.

Re the derail, clearance did well to come out because he was making a lot of noise; some reasonable some not imo. Frankly I hope my local competition reads what I post, and ups their game. I don't have big crews to keep busy anymore but i understand that concern, to a point. The old ISA site was before my time, but i hear it went down due to unregulated flaming.

Here the moderators (I'm told) are not compensated, the site spins off e-zines written by writers that they refuse to pay (take a wild guess about the quality and reliability of THAT information), so a lot of the $ from all those blinking icons up there goes into the owners' pockets. lxt, you were talking about ripoffs....?

Here the moderators (I'm told) are not compensated, the site spins off e-zines written by writers that they refuse to pay (take a wild guess about the quality and reliability of THAT information), so a lot of the $ from all those blinking icons up there goes into the owners' pockets. lxt, you were talking about ripoffs....?

Did you just call the owner of this forum you post on and derive information from (for free)...... a

"Rip Off Artist" ?

Back