Chain for Stihl MS460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thechap

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a Stihl MS460 with a 20 inch bar and stock chain. From all ypu professionals out there, what chain should I be using to quarter up some very large oak rounds. The stock chain does cut but is slow and throws very fine sawdust. I want to order chain from Baileys. The saw is almost new and all factory. Any help would be appreciated.

Bryan

Iwhat chain should I be using to quarter up some very large oak rounds. The stock chain does cut but is slow and throws very fine sawdust.
Sharp chain.

You'll need to know the gage of your bar.

You need to know what kind of chain you have now -- unless it is safety chain, it sounds like it is merely dull or the rakers are not adjusted properly.

Stihl chain is very good quality, it just needs to be sharp, and the rakers will have to be dressed as the chain wears.

Sounds like you need to file the rakers down to get the chain cutting again. Unless you had it sharpened at a shop and they burnt it up where it won't sharpen up any more.

This is basically a new chain. I filed it one time. And yes, it was filed right by hand and the chain is sharp. Oh by the way, I have been hand filing for over 25 years.

This is basically a new chain. I filed it one time. And yes, it was filed right by hand and the chain is sharp. Oh by the way, I have been hand filing for over 25 years.

Well you didn't say that.:poke:

If it is an oregon chain instead of stihl you might want to check the rakers. It seems to come off the reel with rakers set around .020.

I have a Stihl MS460 with a 20 inch bar and stock chain. From all ypu professionals out there, what chain should I be using to quarter up some very large oak rounds. The stock chain does cut but is slow and throws very fine sawdust. I want to order chain from Baileys. The saw is almost new and all factory. Any help would be appreciated.

Bryan

Bryan, is it slow and with fine sawdust when quartering the rounds, or when bucking the crosscut as well?

Maybe you know this, although some others might not, but if you stand up a round on end and cut from the flat top down while quartering, the dust comes out really fine, and it's slow. If you tip it over and cut through the bark, it goes much faster and the chips come out as long noodles.

I just generally use Stihl RSC 3/8 pitch chain on my MS460 and it rips those noodles right out as long as it is sharp and the rakers are properly filed.

Bryan, is it slow and with fine sawdust when quartering the rounds, or when bucking the crosscut as well?

Maybe you know this, although some others might not, but if you stand up a round on end and cut from the flat top down while quartering, the dust comes out really fine, and it's slow. If you tip it over and cut through the bark, it goes much faster and the chips come out as long noodles.

I just generally use Stihl RSC 3/8 pitch chain on my MS460 and it rips those noodles right out as long as it is sharp and the rakers are properly filed.

:agree2:

Check out this thread..:cheers:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=106522&highlight=Noodling+thread

i run oregon lgx works well for me quartering doug fir thats been seasoned for 10 years.

i would guess the 460 has rsc3 mounted wich is also a good chain. id invest in a fielOplate helps maintain the raker height

Latest posts

Back