Chain Sharpening Prices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$8 off the saw.
$10 on the saw.

I don't discount quantity. I used to. More often than not, chains come in in a box all snarled up. And rocked out. The time spent untangling and double grinding isn't worth it. I hate sharpening, but each year i check the numbers and dammit I just can't say no.

It's a tough item to price, people have a hard time wanting to pay upwards of 1/2 the price of a new chain to get one sharpened, but it's one of those jobs where you really need to keep track of the time to make sure you're getting close to your shop rate or you're loosing money. Then again it's helpful to think of it as also being a service that brings in customers that will likely purchase other items while they're in getting a chain sharpened vs. ordering those items on line or from a box store.

It's a tough item to price, people have a hard time wanting to pay upwards of 1/2 the price of a new chain to get one sharpened, but it's one of those jobs where you really need to keep track of the time to make sure you're getting close to your shop rate or you're loosing money. Then again it's helpful to think of it as also being a service that brings in customers that will likely purchase other items while they're in getting a chain sharpened vs. ordering those items on line or from a box store.

Everybody has to have some "loss leaders" and this is definitely one of them.

A lot of customers don't understand that either when you tell them the price and they say its a ripoff. These are also usually the customers that buy some files and attempt to do their own chains. Then you see the chains a month later on your grinder with a different angle on each tooth.

we charge $10 any size including rakers off the saw $12 on the saw, and thats all it is no blowing off saw no tunes nothing just sharpening. i would much rather do mower blades and knives and ax's then doing chain. i simply hate it. when i just have a few to do i do it by hand, its just easier for me!

6 bucks off the saw
8 bucks on the saw

teeth and rackers

Franz does a great job. Less than 2 years old and has paid for it self. Never calls in sick for work either.

I don't pay anyone to sharpen mine.

I've gotta' hook full of chains hangin' next to my grinder and it's gonna' be a chore to get 'em all sharp.
2 or 3 of 'em are gonna' need half a dozen passes before they're ready for the woods.

Once in the "groove" of grinding, with the stereo playing, it'll be a good way to spend an evening or two.

I didn't realize it could be so expensive to have one sharpened at a "shop".
Good for you guys for making a few bucks at it. I don't think I would sharpen chains for less than 8-10 bucks.
If a guy is gonna' take his time and "dial" one in proper,,it's gotta' be worth that.

I've noticed that since I started hand filing last year, it is really easy to keep the chain out of the dirt! I can't stand the consequences of having to re do the work. However, I've spent enough on files and guides to buy a couple of extra chains and pay to have all three sharpened for a couple of years.

All the shops around here just screw your chain up and take half the tooth. Once u figure out how to do it your self , you wont think about taking a chain in. I charge 5 to 7 to sharpen chains but i am doing it with a stihl jig by hand. ( i find it relaxing)

Local shop is 6 if they do takers, 5 if they don't. I usually take in my few chains once a year.

Our shop charges $8 per chain, any size, any length. I wish we'd charge $10 on the saw.
I can always tell when someone's got a Harbor Freight grinder 'cuz their chains are always a mess.
I'll admit I do a better job on chains that I know are being used by professionals. I'll check raker height or sometimes hit them with a round file after grinding, etc.
When I see safety chains come thru, I don't spend as much time on them. I tend to blow thru them pretty fast.

Back