Chainsaw chaps and shorts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banshee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Okay, how safe is it to wear chaps and shorts? I always wear chaps with pants, but summers here and it's getting hot. So how safe is it to wear shorts with the chaps?

Okay, how safe is it to wear chaps and shorts? I always wear chaps with pants, but summers here and it's getting hot. So how safe is it to wear shorts with the chaps?

I'd have thought no worries - it's the chaps that'd do the protecting, assuming they go all the way round your legs...

For one reason if I do go to cut wood in warm weather,I would never wear shorts,the Mosquitoes would eat me alive!
But to answer you question the chaps do the protecting, a pair of jeans wont even slow a chain saw down. So go ahead and wear short if it keeps you cool.

Poison Ivy is bad here, so I wear jeans for that reason. Plus, I hate getting scratched by them stupid little pieces of brush and branches...Ruins my tan.:cheers:

No problem with shorts from a protection stand point, but so many other reasons I wouldn't wear them while cutting, multiflora rose comes to mind.

If i am just cutting wood at the wood pile i wear chaps and shorts often. But if i am in the woods with any kind of brush its carhartt's with labonville pad inserts in them.

Chaps and shorts??? All the time.
SouthForkCO07139.jpg

As a crew supervisor I would never allow shorts. Chaps will help prevent chain injuries but that is not all that happens. Branches commonly get caught between my chaps and pants, branches, vines, chokers can rub across the back of your legs, if you have to dump your chaps to run from a fire you would have no protection. Rattlesnakes, rats, nettle, poison oak, barb wire are all out to get you and wearing pants will help out.

Plus if you show up at a bar wearing tall leather boots and shorts... well you figure it out. (Cue THE song.)

As a crew supervisor I would never allow shorts. Chaps will help prevent chain injuries but that is not all that happens. Branches commonly get caught between my chaps and pants, branches, vines, chokers can rub across the back of your legs, if you have to dump your chaps to run from a fire you would have no protection. Rattlesnakes, rats, nettle, poison oak, barb wire are all out to get you and wearing pants will help out.

Plus if you show up at a bar wearing tall leather boots and shorts... well you figure it out. (Cue THE song.)

This is true if you are cutting in the brush. But many like myself skid logs out and them cut them up someplace else. I myself cut firewood up in the shade of the barn so there are no sticks, branches, nothing but some hay on the ground, so i have never had an issue with shorts and chaps.

But to answer you question the chaps do the protecting, a pair of jeans wont even slow a chain saw down. So go ahead and wear short if it keeps you cool.

+1 There is a safety video floating around the site that shows the uselessness of jeans very graphically.

There is more to worry about than just a cut on the front of your legs.

That's right, but I don't know how that has any relevance to the issue of wearing shorts and chaps. Jeans aren't going to do you any good if they are in the back, front or side. It is the Chaps that offer whatever protection you will have.

That's right, but I don't know how that has any relevance to the issue of wearing shorts and chaps. Jeans aren't going to do you any good if they are in the back, front or side. It is the Chaps that offer whatever protection you will have.

Not true. When you work in the woods your pants provide basic protection from branches, bees, poison oak, amd a host of other nasties that chaps won't help you with. Chaps are a cut resistant garment wherever coverage is provided. Chaps and pants both offer protection but from different hazards. I often wear a Stihl cut resistant shirt but I still wear a shoulder pad because it offers different protection.

I often wear a Stihl cut resistant shirt but I still wear a shoulder pad because it offers different protection.
speaking of a shoulder pad what is good place to get one ive never had one but i think it might be a good ideato get one. are the ones that baileys have any good.

Back