Chainsaw fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just my personal experience, but in my younger days I put a good dose of seafoam in my cs 590 and it started to run really lean. Drained and changed the fuel but it wouldn’t richen up until I pulled the limiters. It’s a work saw used by everyone and I knew it was probably gunked from crappy 2t oil and a overly rich tune, didn’t expect that though. Not knocking seafoam, only my overusage.

I still won’t put it in my saws but hey, what would an oil thread be without someone swearing by one product and someone else saying It blew up their saw and ran off with the wife.

I ran HP Injector for years in everything. Even though it was not recommended... Then I switched back to castrol / stihl oil. I found less carbon in the exhaust.
HP was replaced with HPM . Amsoil introduced this yrs ago as Marine oil Product . TCW-3 rating which on a good day is not quite a FC rated oil today . Not a bad oil at all . I try to run minimum FD rated 2 stroke oil now . Motul , Maxima , Schaffer's , Opti2 etc. are other examples of great synthetic oil manufacturers to consider which all mix well with either efuel or non-efuel !

Just my personal experience, but in my younger days I put a good dose of seafoam in my cs 590 and it started to run really lean. Drained and changed the fuel but it wouldn’t richen up until I pulled the limiters. It’s a work saw used by everyone and I knew it was probably gunked from crappy 2t oil and a overly rich tune, didn’t expect that though. Not knocking seafoam, only my overusage.

I still won’t put it in my saws but hey, what would an oil thread be without someone swearing by one product and someone else saying It blew up their saw and ran off with the wife.
Seafoam is a lubricity / solvency additive ( pale oil , Naptha , IPA) , however also has a chlorine content . Extreme case caused plugged oil gallery when sludge removed from within the engine migrated . Has caused premature centre head gasket failures within the automotive sector with over use . I know Echo have had a bad rap with Epa related over lean tuning from the factory . I have opened up & rejetted a few in-house for clients .Good saw , stupid warranty policy lol.

Actually this is a fuel thread. It is getting derailed with oil.

No efuel 30 days , Regular 84-89 octane 60 days 100ll 6mths at best until octane diminishment is realized .
No way. 84 octane and you'll be having detonation.

100LL unmixed stores many years, they do that for aircraft. In my hands 100LL mixed is good > 2 years.

Only been running 2-strokes since the 1970s, never an oil/fuel related problem inside engine.

With E10 carbs started crapping out if they sat with some, but I never ran any in my 2-strokes. Old tractors and other 4-strokes the carbs (aluminum) started rotting with E10. It makes a snot like substance that eats aluminum/magnesium, partially because of it's affinity for water. In 2-strokes that causes phase separation and seizeing.

Not in a stock saw application , that's why Amsoil has discontinued recommending Dominator in small hand held 2 stroke equipment . I'am a former District Dealer , & know that for a fact ! P.S. Sabre has a much greater emulsifier solvency additive package than Dominator.
All I know is what I see. I’ve been into quite a few saws and dominator is cleaner than saber

From the mouth of the Dominator oil advocate ! :laughing: :laughing:

For the record, I'm not advocating anyone use dominator. I'm just sharing the results I have seen in the oil testing. It was convincing enough for me to switch from saber to dominator. I haven't started using it yet but I am going as soon as I finish this quart of saber.

Lots of interesting comments and info...I think I'm going to buy 2 gallons of LL100, 2 gallons of 91 ethanol free, and a gallon of regular pump gas, mix it all in a 5 gallon container with a secret blend of Saber, Dominator, and Wal-Mart 2 stroke, with a pinch of marvel mystery oil because I like the smell.

J/K

Lots of interesting comments and info...I think I'm going to buy 2 gallons of LL100, 2 gallons of 91 ethanol free, and a gallon of regular pump gas, mix it all in a 5 gallon container with a secret blend of Saber, Dominator, and Wal-Mart 2 stroke, with a pinch of marvel mystery oil because I like the smell.

J/K
The Walmart supertech full synthetic is good stuff. It did well in the testing.
Ok, this is the last oil comment I'm going to make. This was a fuel thread.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

All I know is what I see. I’ve been into quite a few saws and dominator is cleaner than saber
Saber is the cleanest ester based synthetic AMSOIL manufacturers , Dominator is only a FC expressed oil , Saber FD expressed by the manufacturer , only the oil ratio recommendation differs . Dominator 50:1 / Saber 50 to 100:1 originally . I just checked the Amsoil site & nothing has changed , with their recommendation that Dominator is not recommended for stock air cooled saw applications . Spoke to the Regional Sales Mgr. who over sees my area , he just scoffed at your suggestion , so don't know what to tell you . Good luck !

How much seafoam
What kind of bad experience with stabil
Stabil (Red) had some customer complaints in certain applications , Stabile Marine was recommended as a substitute . It was taken off the market 4 yrs ago , but has been reinstated . Much like Sea foam complaints in Europe in the auto sector , with over dosage or frequency of use !

The Walmart supertech full synthetic is good stuff. It did well in the testing.
Ok, this is the last oil comment I'm going to make. This was a fuel thread.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Supertech is a expressed FC rated blended oil not rated by an independent lab. Adequate at best , not in the same league as Motul T. , Maximma or Opti2 , Saber Professional . Although I have had good results with it in a pinch & Wal-Mart has it at a good price point .

J/K
Don't forget an ounce of Klotz -R for that sweet Caster bean aroma ! :laughing:

Back